Brewed coffee really extra $$ ?

rtrtx2

I just got back from the Crown Princess in November. They did offer an ice cream card. I think it was something like 25.00 per person for 10. Does anyone know the exact cost and how many are included?

By the way, there is free ice cream on the closed side of the buffet every day for one hour only. Weird flavors.....cantaloupe ice cream anyone? I kid you not!

Did you try the Limoncello Gelato in the International Cafe? MMM!!:)

We specifically asked about brewed coffee and the bartender told me that it was not included on the coffee card, I would have to pay for it even if I had the card. That was the main thing that I wanted so I decided not to get the coffee card. I spent less than $27 getting my morning coffee by the cup.

I find this surprising. We were on the Crown in October and since my DH drinks Starbucks 24/7...no joke...he had to get the coffee card. He never used all of the specialty drink punches, but he was given unlimited brewed coffee throughout our cruise. Maybe the bartender you had was clueless about what the card included. It is relatively new.

Hey Cindra, don't know if you saw my last question.

How are the glass birdies??? :D

We put away the Christmas displays and there was finally room on the mantle for the macaw. It looks gorgeous. We are now trying to figure out a name for him..her...it? The colors are so beautiful in it, especially when the sun catches it. We like this bird most since it doesn't squawk...unlike our live birds.:rolleyes: Seeing the crystal one sitting there puts a smile on my face and reminds me of the cruise...and just how we acquired it.:D Oh, today's mail brought the W-2G from Carnival Corp....for my Bingo winnings.:cool:

I just got back from the Crown Princess in November. They did offer an ice cream card. I think it was something like 25.00 per person for 10. Does anyone know the exact cost and how many are included?

There was no mention of it on our cruise.

Oh, good. So I can still have that cup of cappucchino after dinner in the dining room at no extra charge? I look forward to that.

If it hasn't all ready been mentioned, ice cream is only something you pay for outside of the dining room. At lunch and dinner you can have as much as you want. There's even a couple of opportunities to "create your own Sundae" on the dessert menu. And in regard to the coffee...I didn't think the coffee from the buffet was bad at all (but that's such a personal thing for people). The coffee card was great for the cafe latte and cafe mocha (they'll even do it decaf for you) and there were some other specialty coffees they offered as well. The cafe mocha was as good as ice cream!! I'd buy the coffee card again.

You might thinking about bringing a small French coffee press. That's a guarantee of having coffee you can stand a spoon in. :p I know several folks will often tuck their coffee presses into their luggage, as well as the ground beans of their choice. :)

Excuse me -- Folgers? You mean the stuff that has been pre-ground and sits in a can for years?

When I think fine brewed coffee, I think freshly ground whole bean coffee from imported roasted beans that probably costs $15 to $20 a pound and is offered in the finest restaurants...and not that Starbucks stuff.

I also like my coffee the european way, thick enough to stand a spoon in.

But, a regular cup of coffee as long as it isn't the horrible British instant out of a glass jar kind is OK by me for normal consumption. I would like all of the coffee aficianados (I really need to learn to spell that word) that think Princess coffee is so terrible to tell me what GREAT coffee they are served on other ships!

On my last two Princess cruises they served free ice cream in the late afternoon in the Horizon Court. They also had sundae fixins'. Naturally, this was about an hour before we were ready to eat at first seating. But, then I had only barely finished with Afternoon Tea. ::urp:: :D :rolleyes: Let's face it, it was one long eating marathon all day for me.....EVERY day! :eek:

Thanks for all the replies! I actually thought when it was said "instant"coffee that they literally meant you got hot water and instant coffee. If most of the other lines use syrup, thats good enough for my hubby(he has never complained yet). Now the lack of free ice cream, I guess we can survive that too.

By the way, there is free ice cream on the closed side of the buffet every day for one hour only. Weird flavors.....cantaloupe ice cream anyone? I kid you not!

On the Diamond they also had ice-cream for 1 hour each afternoon, vanilla, chocolate with syrups and toppings, managed to get there once in 14 days:D

On the Sun Princess this month, the coffee punch card did NOT entitle you to free brewed coffee, so we skipped the card...something else to carry around. I ended up buying 3 cappucinos throughout the cruise, and my husband bought a brewed coffee everyday for $1.15 (with tip) at the Patisserie. On our B2B turnaround day, we went to Publix and got the flavored liquid creamer. It takes that or a lot of Half and Half for me to be able to tolerate the syrup coffee.

On the Sun Princess this month, the coffee punch card did NOT entitle you to free brewed coffee, so we skipped the card...something else to carry around. I ended up buying 3 cappucinos throughout the cruise, and my husband bought a brewed coffee everyday for $1.15 (with tip) at the Patisserie. On our B2B turnaround day, we went to Publix and got the flavored liquid creamer. It takes that or a lot of Half and Half for me to be able to tolerate the syrup coffee.

I guess I won't but the coffee card if the brewed coffee is not included, I have been using the flavoured splenda and planning on taking those along on our cruise:D

I wonder if this varies ship to ship. I just read a Jan. 20th review of the Grand and the op stated the coffee card they purchased was used for unlimited brewed coffee.

Just off the Caribbean Princess a week ago. I checked into the coffee card and it was $27 and was good for 15 specialty coffee drinks (cappucino, espresso, mocha, etc.) but was not good for a cup of brewed coffee. It was $1.25 for a large, which was much better than the syrup stuff in the buffet.

That's a BIG change in the Princess coffee card value if the card doesn't cover brewed coffee anymore.

Oh, well. Then coffee it will be! Strong coffee with half and half and fake suger. WAIT! I remember on my last two Princess cruises that they don't HAVE real half and half! It was either regular milk or "creamer". That was one disappointment since I was used to Carnival serving real half and half. I wonder if Princess has changed that. Anyone know?

There is a charge for cappacchino in the DR, only coffee is no charge, not speciality drinks:D

While we are on this subject, how would past cruisers rate the quality of the specialty coffees (cappuccino, lattes, mochas,etc)? I would definitely buy a coffee card for both DW and myself if they are good. I doubt if I would have a problem with the coffee syrup either, but we both love a good specialty coffee and would easily use up the punch card:D ! But, if they are only so-so, then I would probably just have a couple ala carte.

Sorry Wrong!! Stood there last year on NCL Dawn as they poured this awful concoction into the urn in the buffet and added water!:eek: Also same for the "fresh squeezed" orange juice.!!!!

Hi, I was on the NCL Sun two months ago and they had coffee pots in the cabins with folgers coffee. It was a wonderful treat after years of Princess coffee. We also brought our own coffee mate for a wonderful cup (ice chest to refrigerator). In the dining room they also had brewed coffee AND the cappuccino was free after dinner. Best cruise I've taken in a while. :)

Can anyone tell me about the quality of coffee ordered from room service? I was on the TP in 2004 and was reduced to drinking tea the coffee was so bad. At the time I wasn't aware that there were different qualities of coffee at the bars. I wish I had known. I will return this summer to the TP and maybe insted of going up to the Horizon court I will just do room service. We are early risers and enjoy our coffee at sun up. It is beautiful to see. The bars often don't open until 7. Please advise. Thanks

We were up very early each morning on the CB and ordered our coffee through room service to drink on the balcony. It was very drinkable -- no complaints here. And we had enough so that by the time we reached the buffet for breakfast, we just had juice and water.

So while we are not coffee snobs, we do like a decent cup of coffee each morning (and also watch the sun rise). Room service was the way to go for us! :D

Also, we had coffee in the dining room after dinner, and found it fine as well.

A while back I remember reading that there is (was) a 20% discount coupon in your cabin for the COFFEE CARD.

Does that still exist ?

Where is the COFFEE BAR located on the ship?

Is this the only spot to get a "quality" cup of coffee in the morning?

What time does it open?

Thanks for your help.:cool:

Unless I am missing something there is usually no savings with buying an ice cream card vs. paying for specialty ice creams on a single basis. So unless you buy the card with an upfront discount of 10 or 20% why bother.

Also, unless free brewed coffee is provided with the coffee card, your fru-fru coffee drinks would cost the same if purchased one at a time.

The soda card is for unlimited fountain sodas. If you drink more than 3 sodas a day these are probably a good deal. Otherwise, a 12oz. can is probably 3 times as much soda after all the ice is added to the fountain drink and probably tastes better, too.

Just a thought.......

Archived