Here are the bar lists from Westerdam- scanned from our cruise last week

Schplinky

Great info!. That Smugmug is a tremendous program, I got to blow up the menu and not squint at my monitor. It's nice to see that the drinks aren't priced out of sight. Wine and highballs are very reasonable. Did you try the house wines per chance? Were they drinkable or yuck?

We didn't try the house wine. We only drink wine at dinner, it seems, and we had brought our own. I think Arunda is about the same level as La terre or Yellow Tail so I would think it to be ok.

I think the cocktails were very reasonably priced. You would have to go to a place like TGI Fridays to find better prices on land, I think.

So helpful! I've been following another thread on the beverage cards and everyone's been wondering exactly what qualifies under those as far as selection. I thought it was interesting that they technically only listed 5 drinks as "Specialty Cocktails" so I just called Ship Services to ask if those are really the only ones that you could use the Specialty Cocktail card for. I was told that each ship's menu is slightly different and that there are more (she sure wasn't reading what you scanned!) than just 5. While she didn't think it would be an issue to order any of the other fruity cocktails since they're all priced the same, she did say that it was somewhat to the discretion of the individual bartender as to what he'll accept to put on the card.

Hmmmmm....... so I wonder what happens if you don't use up all the credit on one of those cards. Can you get a shipboard credit for the remainder?

Schplinky:

I'd like to say a great big "thank you", not only for taking the trouble to scan and post this information for us, but also for your extremely well-written, organized, informative, and helpful multi-part review of your Westerdam cruise. I'm quite in awe of your abilities. I'm one who had to learn computers on my own well into my thirties (I can barely keep up with all the new stuff!), and I'm so impressed with all your technical skills. Thank you very much for all the time you've lavished on your reports; you've addressed questions that so many of us have, and you've done so in a very entertaining and easy-to-follow format. I wish I could do even half so well! :)

Karin

Thanks for all the great info. That was a real treat, usually when something is scanned I have to get out my magnifying glass and then still can't read it.

We will be on the Westerdam March 18th, just booked so all your info is just great. We are thinking of bringing a case of wine. I drink cabernet or Chardonnay and my girlfriend drinks pinot grigio. I am going to look into some kind of carrying case w/ wheels. I have always brought wine on for the cabin but never for the dining room.

We also love the crows nest for cocktails before dinner, aft for Coronas and explorers lounge after dinner for special coffees.

We didn't try the house wine. We only drink wine at dinner, it seems, and we had brought our own. I think Arunda is about the same level as La terre or Yellow Tail so I would think it to be ok.

I think the cocktails were very reasonably priced. You would have to go to a place like TGI Fridays to find better prices on land, I think.

IMO Yellow Tail is yuck, it is a very very cheap Australian chardonay and not nice. Take your own wine on board, if you like white try getting some of the wonderful NZ Sauv Blanc that is now appearing in quite large quantities on your shelves up there.

Thank you so much for posting that information! It is really helpful for my budgeting process! Now I'm REALLY counting down the days, hours, minutes, seconds . . . . . .

They had drinks of the day and martinis of the day at $5 each, also. I liked the drinks on HAL; I thought they were creative and tasty. The one thing we noticed is they used a lot of home-made sours in their drinks and you could get a sore stomach if you drank too much.

Bob, I've posted a couple links for a Westerdam Cruise in 2004 and one from the Zuiderdam in 2005. I'm sure the menus have changed since then, but it will give you a good idea about the dinners on HAL.

http://home.g-net.net/%7Ecbrock/ZuiderdamECMenus.html

http://travel.webshots.com/album/236237424Kvjpag

They have changed slightly but I did recognize many of the items I had (or considered) on Westie last week.

It's pretty darn close.

It was all stunning!

Thanks so much for posting this and your review. I really enjoyed reading it. I just booked my first HAL cruise and I am so glad that HAL has caffeine free Diet Coke...seeing that made my day (the caffeine free part!)

Thanks again

Lynn

Thanks so much for posting this and your review. I really enjoyed reading it. I just booked my first HAL cruise and I am so glad that HAL has caffeine free Diet Coke...seeing that made my day (the caffeine free part!)

Thanks again

Lynn

Schplinky, thanks again for all the wonderful info you have posted, and your great reviews.

Reading the list of mouth-watering cocktails and top-quality booze brands made me wonder why they don't offer any better beers. Am I the only one who thinks it would be nice if they offered some true premium beers, or even some of the more widely marketed microbrews? Of course they would charge a premium price for them, but I'd rather pay $7.00 for a Redtail Ale than $3.50 for a Budweiser any day. Am I alone in this?

(PS: I like Heineken and Corona OK, but would not choose them if something better were available. I'm spoiled, I know.)

Archived