Teen/Kid clothes for casual dinners.

bzymama

What do you generally see teens wearing in the dining room?

I'm trying to figure out what to do for clothes for my daughters (ages 10, 12 and 14) for the casual dinners. They all have really cute "cocktail" type dresses and shoes for the formal night, but we'd like to have a couple more dinners in the dining room too.

Other than those dresses they don't really have any "smart casual" clothes. They pretty much live in jeans. They do have a couple of jean skirts, but I don't know if this is appropriate for the dining room. I hate to be relegated to the buffet every night, but I also hate to buy them new outfits that they'll never wear again.

Anyone else have teen daughters that could advise us?

Thanks!!:)

What do you generally see teens wearing in the dining room?

I'm trying to figure out what to do for clothes for my daughters (ages 10, 12 and 14) for the casual dinners. They all have really cute "cocktail" type dresses and shoes for the formal night, but we'd like to have a couple more dinners in the dining room too.

Other than those dresses they don't really have any "smart casual" clothes. They pretty much live in jeans. They do have a couple of jean skirts, but I don't know if this is appropriate for the dining room. I hate to be relegated to the buffet every night, but I also hate to buy them new outfits that they'll never wear again.

Anyone else have teen daughters that could advise us?

Thanks!!:)

I think it depends on the cruise line. We were on Royal Caribbean in December. The girls who I noticed were conservatively dressed with cute dresses or pant sets on casual nights. I'd suggest maybe buying each a pair of dressy pants and/or skirt that they can mix and match tops with. Let them get creative, you might be surprised with what they come up with. No need to spend a fortune. You can probably get what you need at a discount store or thrift shop. Another thought is borrowing from friends. I'm willing to bet some have dresses etc. they bought for one occasion they'd be willing to lend to their friends for their cruise.

Soxfan makes good suggestions about borrowing from friends and checking out the consignment shops.

You do not mention which cruise line and there is a difference. If you are on Carnival, RCI, NCL, Costa, the girls will be fine in jean skirts (not the too short ones, though) and cute tops and sandals on casual nights.

A cute sundress, skirt or capris also will work.

If you are on HAL or Celebrity, most will dress up more. I have seen cute teen separates at Target and JC Penneys and all the stores are having huge clearance sales so now is a great time to pick up a few things without breaking the bank.

Thanks for the quick feedback and good suggestions!

We are on RCL Enchantment of the Seas the first week in April. So that does give me some time to get them some nice pants if I need to. The jean skirts are short, about mid-thigh, but not the kind you can't bend down in without giving a show LOL!

Would it be ok for them to wear nice flip-flops? Like the dark brown leather kind with beads on them? Again, if not I still have time to get them something else.

Thanks for the advice!:)

Personally, I do not think mid thigh jean skirts are appropriate for the dining room but they are fine for the buffet.

I do see teens in decorated flip flops and perhaps a mom can comment, as I prefer a bit nicer footwear for dinner. I have only travelled with teenaged boys and the rule is they are not to wear flip flops, jeans, t shirts to the dining room for dinner. It has never been an issue as the rest of the time they are free to look as they please.

I would say that that would be a bit short for a denim skirt for the dining room. I 'm 22 and have skirts that length and I personally wouldn't feel comfortable wearing them in the dining room. I think the shoes will be fine, as long as they are dressier, more like thongs, than rubber flip-flops.

I would say even getting them each a couple of cute sundresses (Old Navy has some right now) or khakis would be good. You should be able to get those fairly inexpensively and they would probably have the chance to wear them again.

My teenage daughter lives in jeans and will not wear any other type of pants right now. But, I realize the wind can change directions at any moment, so I am always prepared for surprises. Her style and mine are worlds apart, as they should be.

For our last cruise, we compromised a bit. I allowed her to wear her black jeans, with knee high boots (jeans tucked into them) and a tunic style top, no one was the wiser that she had on jeans. She wore this configuration two nights. I also have to mention that the weather was not warm on the nights she wore these.

The other casual nights, she wore long tunic tops and cropped leggings, or a knit dress over leggings. Something like this type of a look:

_5294571.jpg _5254582.jpg

These are more wintery looks, but you get the idea.

My teenage son is so much easier to deal with when it comes to clothes, he wear slacks, khakis, whatever I buy for him. The daughter, she knows that she has to follow certain guidelines and I let her make her own choices within those guidelines.

Her shoes are always flats, she doesn't like flip flops or sneakers, so I guess I lucked out there.

Edit to add, the dresses we bought were all short and she now wears them over her jeans to school.

We are on Carnival with our boys ages 8 and 10. What is appropriate for them in the evening? Do they need a jacket and tie on formal night? I know Carnival is a bit relaxed compared to other lines.

They should wear a jacket and tie, yes. While they will not be not turned away without one on Carnival, many still do dress up on formal nights. IMO it is a great time to teach kids about dressing for an occasion and enjoying it!

This will be our first time taking our 15 yr old son with us (and first time on a Carnival cruise) this is what I am planning for him, as I want to pack lightly - (how times have changed!)

Formal nites rent tux

3 pairs dockers

5 polo style shirts

3 swim suits

3 pair shorts (cargo style)

7 tee shirt type tops

shoes, underwear, socks,

I know that I could always wash clothes, but as dh said "are ya nuts!" Does this seem as if it would work for a 15yr old --- I'm really excited to bring him and really want to get a formal picture with him and dh. Jan

Jan,

That sounds great! My son will be 13 and this will be his 4th cruise. He has a gorgeous sport coat, tie and slacks for formal nights and dockers with short sleeve button down shirts for the more casual nights. He has to borrow his

Dad's shoes because there is no way I'm buying him dress shoes with the way his feet are growing. He already is in his Dad's size!!

The only night I am unsure of is the informal night. Maybe the sports coat with no tie and a silk t shirt????

Thoughts??

A:D

• 3 weeks later...

bzymama - sorry I never answered your question (I was checking old posts to see if I really had everything planned for DS and noticed your question)

My first name is really Janet, but the only people that call me that are people who think they know me, but don't or are doctor's, attorney's, and IRS agents! I always knew I was in deep trouble if my mom called me "Janet".

We will be going on our first cruise soon. I have two boys ages 12 & 14. I was planning to pack nice shorts and polo style shirts for them to wear in the dining room for casual dinners but now I'm worried that those won't be appropriate. Are shorts acceptable for kids? What about shoes? My kids don't like sandals and only wear tennis shoes. Should I get them some other kind of shoe to wear in the dining room?

I was also planning to wear capri's myself, is that acceptable?

I hate to buy things my kids won't ever wear again but I also don't want to be embarrassed if they are under dressed.

Thanks!

Thanks Maggie, you're daughters are beautiful!

Those are the types of dresses my dd's will be wearing for the formal night, but no way could I get the oldest to dress up that much on all the nights! ;) Although she's not giving me any trouble at all about the formal night - go figure.

We did go out and buy some khaki pants for the 14 yo DD, she is the most difficult one. The 12 and 10 yo DDs will wear some non-jeans skirts they already have and some capri pants too.

Archived