Has anyone ever had to cancel?

gannie

I am just sick! Due to missing several days of school for bad weather, our district has decided to take 3 days of our spring break for make-up days. Of course, cruise, air, etc., are all paid in full. I haven't talked to my TA yet, but am wondering is it possible to cancel this cruise and book a different one this summer without penalty? Our school district isn't very flexible and I honestly don't know what to do! HELP!!!!:eek:

You would think I should be able to do that. However, it doesn't always happen that way. I probably will have to use two personal days and have "a dr.'s appointment." I can see the Dr. on the ship if I have to!

FYI - we do have travel insurance, but I don't think it covers in a case like this.

I'd like to see the reaction to a Dr. excuse from a cruise ship! Pretty funny. :D

My thoughts are that with enough advance notice you should be able to get off work. Especially since the work was unplanned. Then again, if you knew there was a possibility the snow days could cause this, I wonder why you didn't book the trip a bit later on?

From what I remember, the last few days of the school year are not the most busy, so maybe a substitute could take care of it. I would pull out all the stops and call in some favors so you do not have to cancel. Good luck to you!

I would do everything you can to go... explain that you have non refundable air and cruise tickets. Otherwise, you will just have to cancel with Carnival, and rebook at another time... and if you are looking at summer, it's going to be more expensive. Good luck!

do you have the insurance name that i could look and bookmark.. this is what i need with my hsuband job if want to do another cruise....our medical insurance pays around the world i know that as he travels around the world...

even our HMO paid medical bills in Mexico....yrs ago ...

do you have the insurance name that i could look and bookmark.. this is what i need with my hsuband job if want to do another cruise....our medical insurance pays around the world i know that as he travels around the world...

even our HMO paid medical bills in Mexico....yrs ago ...

Check insuremytrip.com, look at various policies or give them a call...

Also, check with hubbies insurance company and make sure they cover medivac from out of the country back to the US... most don't, and those that do will cover you to the nearest hospital, which could be somewhere in Jamaica :eek: That is the main reason I buy insurance... medivac can run $20-50K

I assume that the issue is with your children missing class. I think that you will find that most districts are more flexible in this situation than they are for "normal" absences.

The districts have to meet class a certain number of days, thus the need for make ups, but most administrators are people too (I think), and are aware when make up days are scheduled, that a large number of people have long standing prepaid vacation plans that cannot be changed. they usually will work with you in this situation.

The OP is a teacher...

thanks.. i will check with our medical.. actually last week on RC we had to turn back during the night on day 3 to take person to cancun for some heart problem and were lating getting into Galveston.

Never thought of what it would cost till that happened....thanks...

Our spring break, for the last 10 years, has been protected. On our school calendar is said NO WHERE we would use spring break for make-up days, otherwise I wouldn't have made plans. I certainly had a sleepless night last night worrying about this. Six weeks from today is when we are supposed to leave. You know, it's a sticky situation, what do you say or not say?? Only two more years until retirement for me, then I'll be able to cruise whenever I want to without problems!!!!!

This whole situation is ridiculous! If anything, they should be adding time to May/June, not taking from spring break! People always make plans druing spring break, and it is completely wrong for the district to do this! Have you heard from any enraged parents? I would be willing to bet there will be a lot of absences those 3 days.

I thought schools always built in time for snow days and such. My grade school and high school did this, and I've seen it in other parts of the country when I've lived there. If we didn't use them, they moved the last day of school up. If we did use them, no big deal, the last day of school was on the calendar, so you knew not to make plans before that.

I totally agree! It is ridiculous! If they'd just ask me, I'd tell them how to do it! Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. I am going to call my Teacher's Organization and seek legal advice from them before I do anything. Also, I'm SURE there will be parents complaining, but the board has voted and made a decision so that is set in stone.

Thanks for the support.

Wow! I have never heard of a place using Spring Break days to cover snow days. Sounds to me like some on your Board doesn't want to tack on the extra days to the end of the year. Maybe they have a cruise booked too! ;)

The school district I teach in had a snow day in December and we will add one day to the end of the year. I asked about those "built in snow days" and they said they just don't do that anymore. Noone was sure why though.

2 years from retirement! You must be so excited!!! This is my first year teaching so I have a loooonnng way to go. :D

I hope it all works out for you so you can enjoy your vacation. Please let us know what happens!!

I totally agree! It is ridiculous! If they'd just ask me, I'd tell them how to do it! Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. I am going to call my Teacher's Organization and seek legal advice from them before I do anything. Also, I'm SURE there will be parents complaining, but the board has voted and made a decision so that is set in stone.

Thanks for the support.

Wow! I have never heard of a place using Spring Break days to cover snow days. Sounds to me like some on your Board doesn't want to tack on the extra days to the end of the year. Maybe they have a cruise booked too! ;)

The school district I teach in had a snow day in December and we will add one day to the end of the year. I asked about those "built in snow days" and they said they just don't do that anymore. Noone was sure why though.

2 years from retirement! You must be so excited!!! This is my first year teaching so I have a loooonnng way to go. :D

I hope it all works out for you so you can enjoy your vacation. Please let us know what happens!!

It happens all the time in the south, where snow is not a common occurrence.

Archived