The story RCCL wishes would die, but WON'T

I applaud the OP for appealing to the public for any tips regarding the disappearance of this young lady.

Amy may be missing but she is not forgotten...

amy1.jpgamy2.jpg

Amy Bradley

Date of Birth: May 12, 1974

Hair: Short Brown

Sex: Female

Eyes: Green

Height: 5'6"

Race: White

Weight: 120 pounds

Was reported missing in the early morning hours of March 24, 1998 aboard the Rhapsody of the Seas cruise ship.

mikeymars,

The fact that the FBI nows says that she was last seen by family members leads me to believe that, for whatever reason, they no longer consider the reports of her being seen by the college freshmen as credible enough to be included.

Thank you for posting this thread, I had long forgotten this story. It's interesting that an eye witness, who passed a lie detector's test saw Amy get into a cab. She could have disembarked on the crew gang plank dressed in RCCL crew clothing. Who knows? Maybe someday we'll find out. It really is a trajedy.

mikeymars,

The fact that the FBI nows says that she was last seen by family members leads me to believe that, for whatever reason, they no longer consider the reports of her being seen by the college freshmen as credible enough to be included.

I agree, at 5:30 or so in the morning, one has to wonder about the sort of 18-19 year olds who are going to still be running around clubs, much less what shape they would have been in.

Which leads to the facts about what IS known about Amy's last hours before she disappeared.

Amy was last confirmedly seen at approximately 5:00AM Tuesday morning, March 24, 1998, when her father briefly awoke and saw her sleeping on the balcony of their cabin (through the sliding glass door, which was closed). After going back to sleep, he awoke again at approximately 6:00AM and found the balcony door open and Amy gone. He also noticed that her cigarettes and lighter were missing, but her shoes were on the balcony (the latter suggesting that Amy had not left the room with the intention of being gone long).

Initially, the family assumed that she had gone to get a Coke and smoke a cigarette. However, when she failed to appear by 6:40 or so, they started looking for her and contacting the ship staff.

Bottom line: Amy's disappearance happened sometime between 5:00-6:00AM, at a time when the Rhapsody of the Seas was approximately 15-20 miles outside of Willemstad, Curacao. And as for the inevitable "oh, well, she must have simply fallen off the balcony and drowned" theory:

Yes, she could have woken up and decided -- for whatever reason -- it would be fun to sit on the edge of the balcony during the pre-dawn darkness. However, would she have attempted that while holding both her cigarettes and lighter?

And why would she have OPENED the balcony door before engaging in such risky behavior?

And by the way, Amy held a degree in physical education and was a certified ARC category IIB lifeguard.

Ergo strong, accomplished swimmer.

mikeymars,

Yes, she could have woken up and decided -- for whatever reason -- it would be fun to sit on the edge of the balcony during the pre-dawn darkness. However, would she have attempted that while holding both her cigarettes and lighter?

And why would she have OPENED the balcony door before engaging in such risky behavior?

And by the way, Amy held a degree in physical education and was a certified ARC category IIB lifeguard.

Ergo strong, accomplished swimmer.

If everybody's actions made sense, and it were easy to figure out what happened, these cases wouldn't be unsolved.

Anyway, unless she were an accomplished high diver, falling/jumping off a balcony cabin would likely result in injuries that could make her swimming abilities moot. Especially considering that she had been out partying most of the night.

If everybody's actions made sense, and it were easy to figure out what happened, these cases wouldn't be unsolved.

Anyway, unless she were an accomplished high diver, falling/jumping off a balcony cabin would likely result in injuries that could make her swimming abilities moot. Especially considering that she had been out partying most of the night.

Mark, no disagreement here. But presumably, anything she did on that balcony between 5am and 6am was after awakening from some period of sleep (that led some years ago to speculate that she in a half awake mode unintentionally "stumbled" off the balcony into the sea). In other words, if this did involve a balcony fall, it wasn't the result of a wild drunken romp.

And that's an important point: anyone who has ever cruised in a veranda category cabin knows you can't just "stumble" off it, you would have to make an intentional effort to get up and over those railings (which on almost all cruise ships are in the range of 45" high or more).

In other words, if Amy did fall off the balcony, it could only been because she intentionally climbed up onto the railing and either (a) leaped off it on purpose (and trust me, there is no evidence whatsoever to suggest she had any suicidal tendencies) or (b) -- the theory the "it had to be an accident crowd" likes -- woke up, suddenly decided it would be fun to sit on top of the balcony railing while having a pre-dawn smoke, and then accidentally slipped/fell off the railing.

Possible? Certainly. Likely? Not necessarily -- it presumes that Amy was an edgy, irresponsible risk taker (which there is little evidence of, and the gender doesn't fit, almost all recorded incidents of irresponsible balcony/railing horseplay on cruise ships involve men) and also that she was incapacitated while or after falling. Yes, in this scenario, she could have (not definitely, possibly) been injured while falling into the sea. But if that's the case, there is a substantive rebuttal challenge that is usually offered:

Why was no body found, after a heavy, heavy professional search of all the surrounding waters that started just a day after she disappeared?

Still cynical, and now confused. :confused:

How do you know that she wasn't suicidal, especially if she had been partying? People do strange and stupid things while they are drunk and or high. :confused:

What is your relationship to this poor woman that you say you know things about her? :confused:

She was sharing a cabin with family, right? Did they hear her go thru the cabin and out the cabin door? I am pretty sure that I have never had anyone go out the cabin door on a cruise ship without hearing it. :confused:

Can we cut to the chase , please? What is your theory? Are you implying that the cruiseline covered up her death? That they disposed of the body? Any idea how big a piece of water is covered with 1 hour of a ship sailing at 20 knots? Considering the currents and wind, etc. Pretty big piece of water. I really would like to hear your opinion/theory and why you feel whatever way you feel, rather than getting a piece in this post and another tidbit in another post.

jc

Still cynical, and now confused. :confused:

How do you know that she wasn't suicidal, especially if she had been partying? People do strange and stupid things while they are drunk and or high.

Again, no investigation by authorities showed she has any such tendencies (and you can be sure the F.B.I. fully vetted that issue before opening a formal ongoing investigation on the case). And from one of the many articles on this mystery:

"...the family and others who know Amy well flatly rule out suicide. Amy, known for her positive attitude and zest for life, had recently adopted a pet, moved into a new apartment (for which she had purchased artwork while aboard the ship), and had many plans upon her return. She has a loving circle of friends (for whom she purchased gifts while on the cruise) waiting for her in Chesterfield. Postcards she sent home during the trip indicated the good time she was having and her awe of some of the sights along the way. One read, "I'll be home Saturday at 10.""

What is your relationship to this poor woman that you say you know things about her?

If anyone bothers to investigate, this case has been heavily documented ever since 1998. One doesn't need to be an itimate family friend to be have a good general working knowledge of how Amy was viewed and perceived by those around her.

She was sharing a cabin with family, right? Did they hear her go thru the cabin and out the cabin door? I am pretty sure that I have never had anyone go out the cabin door on a cruise ship without hearing it.

Again from published reports:

"Amy's father recounts awaking at approximately 5:30 in the morning and, though his daughter's face was not visible from his bed, seeing her legs and feet on the balcony's deck lounge. He recalls that Amy's cigarettes and lighter lay on the deck next to her chair. He decided to let his daughter sleep, and returned to slumber himself. Mr. Bradley further remembers hearing what he believes to be the sound of the cabin door latching closed as Amy left the cabin at about 6 a.m."

Can we cut to the chase , please? What is your theory? Are you implying that the cruiseline covered up her death? That they disposed of the body?

Already stated I don't blame the line for her disappearance. Also don't blame the Bradleys for filing a lawsuit against them (that was aimed primarily at simply getting the media to focus on RCI's rather unsympathetic response to the disappearance).

Any idea how big a piece of water is covered with 1 hour of a ship sailing at 20 knots? Considering the currents and wind, etc. Pretty big piece of water. I really would like to hear your opinion/theory and why you feel whatever way you feel, rather than getting a piece in this post and another tidbit in another post.

I apologize, I didn't realize the agenda here is "Colonel Mustard in the Library with the Candlestick." Frankly, over the years I've heard scores of variations on all sorts of theories, and have yet to decide if there's one I particularly favor (all have ther + and - points). Again, from published reports, here is a general assessment of the more common ones:

"A man overboard accident (i.e. the possibility of falling off the cabin balcony or other rail-side location on the ship) is thought to be statistically unlikely, unless hazardous behavior is involved. Such activity would be most likely to be detected by ship's staff during the maneuvering of the large ship in the causeway approach to the Curacao pier.

Given the Coast Guard's formal determination that Amy was not in the water and the dismissal of other theories based on the family's feelings, investigative experts hired by the Bradleys feel that it is most likely Amy was abducted at the hands of passenger(s) or crew, drugged or otherwise incapacitated, and spirited off the ship at Curacao.

Theories on the subsequent whereabouts and well-being of Amy Bradley become more convoluted amidst mention of white slavery in the region, and the harbor presence of numerous "Gypsy Boats" which (with little or no inspection and restriction) sail in and out of Curacao's port city of Willemstad most mornings to market produce and "other commodities" from the South American mainland. The rough port city of La Guaira, gateway to sprawling Caracas, Venezuela (South America) is but 35 miles away by sea, and modern, high speed air and ground transportation connects the congested (and largely lawless) Caracas area with drug and crime capitals (like Cartagena, Columbia) throughout both remote and metropolitan areas."

Oookayy....

You post the mystery story here and then you get mad when I play along.

I am pretty sure that I am done here, now, as I am having thoughts about why someone would feel compelled to post this here, as if something beyond you aren't completely safe anywhere has been accomplished.:confused: :(

jc

That was my question? If he was a contracted band member he should be readily available to answer questions. Was he American? My reasoning for that question is that if he is not an American Citizen is he required to talk to the FBI? I think maybe only Americans feel the intimidation of the "Bureau".

I still am curious as to why this was posted, the previous answer kind of skirted the issue for me. I watched the story on Dateline and they even had it on one of The Travel Channel shows on cruising and I certainly did not get all the information from those that would allow me to speak of this girl as personally as the other poster does. It is a sad tragic story but one I fear will never be solved and though I doubt her family will ever want to cruise again if they did and were members of this board this is probably not something they want to read.

just my opinion.

Many "accidental" deaths are as a result of suicide. The families state there is no reason, no history of depression etc and barring any proof the death is ruled as an accident. Unless you are that individual what other family members say about a persons state of mind is meaningless.

How many times have I read that family and friends were shocked that such and such committed a murder. The simple fact is you can NEVER prove what thoughts are in somebody elses head, NEVER so what some else thinks, even parents is just a guess.

Maybe she did accidentally fall over, while highly unlikely accidents of this nature do happen. People climb up on a chair to reach for something or see something lose their balance and it's too late.

Statistically saying something is unlikely is meaningless as incredibly unlikely things happen everyday. I mean really incredible, I always point out that when people say how unlikely something is and you have a better chance at getting struck by lightening that way more people are hit than you think. Many people have actually been hit twice.

As for what happened to the body there could be a simple explanation....sharks or other marine life. A body falling from such a height may have struck something on the way down, this wound may have bled and that would attract sharks for miles. There would be no body to find. The occurrence of sharks in all Caribbean waters is abundant, they are not just coastal feeders. In my earlier days at sea we used to see tons even in the open ocean, and most frequently at dawn and dusk.

As for someone passing a lie detector test, there is a reason the tests are inadmissable in court. They PROVE nothing. Many people have proven how easy it is to beat the test. You only need to "believe" something to pass a question on the subject.

Look how many people "believed" they saw a missile streaking towards the Pan Am flight that blew up off Long Island when in fact there was no missile.

What do I think happened....she fell overboard, the body was either consumed by marine life or was simply never found. A single body in open water is almost impossible to locate even bloated and on the surface, andwhen the gasses escape it sinks again.

I've been thinking about this case today, and if my memory serves me correctly, Amy's disappearance was shown on Unsolved Mysteries. And I am sure that they have shown the episode several times since her disappearance. It is good to keep these cases out in the public. Maybe, just maybe, someone who knows what happened will come forward. I have a daughter and if something like this happened to her, I would greatly appreciate any attention it could get. My heart goes out to this grieving family.

I am finding all this very intreguing.

My one question.....

Did they ever question the guy named "yellow", and if so, what is his story??

An excellent question. Yellow was the bass player for the cruise ship's band, Blue Orchid. As I mentioned earlier, two female college freshman stated they saw him and Amy going into the disco in the early morning (various reports state they said they saw them anywhere from 5:30 to 6:00).

The morning Amy was missing, her brother Brad went up to the pool deck to sit and watch in case Amy walked by. Yellow approached him, and said something to the effect “Hey man, I’m sorry about your sister.” He asked what happened and then told Brad to wait while he got a friend to listen. Brad, who says that Yellow told him he was feeling “guilty,” remembers the experience as “just odd.”

As for whether Yellow was ever officially questioned, a Royal Caribbean spokesperson claimed that Yellow voluntarily submitted to a polygraph for the F.B.I. and "passed," but the government itself has never confirmed that.

I am finding all this very intreguing.

My one question.....

Did they ever question the guy named "yellow", and if so, what is his story??

RCI said that he voluntarily submitted to an FBI administered lie detector test and passed. Likewise, the family's lawyer says the Bradley family also did, and also passed.

The FBI would neither confirm, nor deny.

Archived