Carnival Secrets they Usually Don't Tell You About 2

Elaine515

Someone earlier mentioned the trans derm patch for sickness. I think it works for a lot of people, but it seriously messed up my husband's and my vision. Seriously, we couldn't read the menu for dinner the first night and our eyes were very light-sensitive. We took off the patches that evening and were much better the next day.

After spending hours reading the original thread...I "borrowed" this from one of the posters. Let's see if we can continue this one and make it a bit easier for all of us....

I started this thread... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=293121 on Sept 2nd, 2006 from compiling what I had read and was lashed at for compiling others info for not giving the original posters credit due. Hope you will give credit where its due and not get lashed at like I did. It took me hours of reading through all the tips to put this list together...

Cinderose

I have talked about this on the Family Board but I will add it here for those with young children....

--If you travel with young children, bring a cup (sippie cup) because they WILL give your 2 year old a huge goblet glass of apple juice as you sit there praying it won't spill over your table mates.

--The kids club acitivities MAY be wrong in the kid compass. They have been known to have misprints. So double check all events before you leave your child.

--The kids will get a smilie cookie on their pillow during turn down service on the first night. So don't refuse turn down service for that night. :)

Oh yes thank you! I have not seen many young children tips. I will be cruising with my 2 and 4 year old. Any other tips will be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!

Thank you all so much ! We are going on our first cruise in July' date=' a sudden change of vacation plans so we are literally planning everything in 8 weeks. My DD and I have gone through this entire thread, copying and pasting onto our Cruise Packing 101 Study Guide. Such great ideas !!!

I hope the ideas keep on coming, we want to have a wonderful time, especially so that DH has a wonderful time and wants to do it again ;) and again........[/quote']

you should post up your revised cruise guide

Back from Alaska on NCL, early May.

We used a backpack for all the shore excursions, in which we stowed both cameras (digital and video) w/acc in their cases, plastic bags (to put cameras in on boats/in the rain, etc., rainsuits (we never needed them!), extra water bottles (always needed them), hand warmers (really came in handy! -pun), gloves, handiwipes, toilet seat covers, toilet paper, sunblock (yes - while on glaciers).

Ladies, take your huge travel bag on the plane, but stash it after you board in favor of a SMALL shoulder purse for shore excursions. I put cash, a credit card, our passports, lipstick and comb, and a nylon tote, the kind you can fold up to the size of a credit card, inside of this, for carrying back stuff I bought in the ports.

Over-door shoe holder was a lifesaver! This has been posted before, but is worth repeating for first time cruisers. Unless you're in a suite, space for all those little things is scarce. There was only a narrow shelf above lav for toiletries - not wide enough for a ditty bag or makeup bag.

We left a note to have the fridge emptied so we could put water bottles, and for ice in the evening to really chill bottles of water for carrying the next day.

Oh, be sure to take along an outlet strip, or cube. We really used this for our battery chargers curling iron, laptop,etc.

Extra camera batteries, mini dvds, memory cards. Take them even if you think you won't need them. Esp in Alaska, you WILL!

Hi,

I thought I would add our tip as I haven't seen it here. We bring a tray to use for the buffet. They just have plates, bowl etc and a tray really helps if you want a salad in a bowl besides your plate. It becomes to much to carry. The tray is also good for carrying snacks back to the room or if one wants to stay in the room and one person goes up and brinjg back some drinks, snacks etc.

This tip confused me. When I was on Carnival Pride a couple of years ago, I could swear the Mermaid Grille had stacks of trays that you used at the buffet lines. I can't imagine people just carrying their plates and bowls in hand. I remember getting up early every morning and going up to the Mermaid Grille and bringing a tray of coffee, tea and danishes back to my family in our room while they were getting dressed and showered. Don't they have trays anymore?

This tip confused me. When I was on Carnival Pride a couple of years ago, I could swear the Mermaid Grille had stacks of trays that you used at the buffet lines. I can't imagine people just carrying their plates and bowls in hand. I remember getting up early every morning and going up to the Mermaid Grille and bringing a tray of coffee, tea and danishes back to my family in our room while they were getting dressed and showered. Don't they have trays anymore?

Both the Legend and Fascination had trays.....

• 1 month later...

I have not seen this Tip on here...

But you can get a credit card at Walmart or pretty much any bank...

Put as much money as you like on it, and it will be good till that amount is used...

This is great if you are on a budget, and to keep away fraudulent charges!

Just remember to read the fine print... Make sure it is one that does NOT make you Liable for ANY of those questionable charges!

You could have a different one for each port even... Just keep up with how much you've spent!

I like travelers checks better, but this would be good for the ONBOARD credit card as well...

Bon Voyage!

Post-It notes are to leave notes in your room for your travelling companions ("gone up to the Lido -- meet you back here at 12:30 for lunch") or for your room steward ("Stewart, would you be a dear and fill up the cooler with ice? There's a dollar on the desk for your trouble...")

Highlighters are for use on with the daily 'Capers' (activity listing) -- to highlight the activities you want to participate in.

Duct tape is the all-purpose fix-it. Boob-lifter for those strapless evening dresses :D , luggage repair, etc...

One tip we found on the board that we used on the last cruise was to bring large travel mugs. Good for coffee and juice in the mornings.

I love the big mugs, I buy one from walmart that I am willing to throw away at the end of the cruise.

A handful of Ice, a cup of coffee, and icecream = FREE FRAPACHINNO

A money belt for some ports would be an excellent idea. I also like a waterproof container on a cord to wear around your neck when in the surf. I think that security is fine when on a cruise excursion. However, a purse is not the best place to carry credit cards, cash, etc. Pickpockets are everywhere and a dose of caution can prevent lots of headaches.

One of my friends traveled all over Europe last month with a purse and did fine. In Houston, at Bush Intercontinental Airport, her purse disappeared. She had it to clear Customs, and then it was gone. The police refused to let her view security tapes to see who took it. If you must carry a purse or backpack, include only replaceable items inside. Her memories of her trip are blown away from what happened when she was almost home.

Thank you for the tip about the room safe demagnetizing credit cards. I will use a less favored card for the safe!

I purchased a "CitySafe Handbag" from Magellan for travel. It's described as follows:

"With slash-proof shoulder straps, wire-reinforced side and bottom panels, tamper-proof zippers, and an anti-grab shoulder strap that may be clipped to any secure fixture, your valuables will stay safe and secure."

It seems to cover all the bases, though one can never be 100% sure about anything. There's also a larger version for people who need to carry more "stuff".

• 2 weeks later...
Someone earlier mentioned the trans derm patch for sickness. I think it works for a lot of people, but it seriously messed up my husband's and my vision. Seriously, we couldn't read the menu for dinner the first night and our eyes were very light-sensitive. We took off the patches that evening and were much better the next day.

I AGREE! Anyone trying that patch needs to try it out a day or 2 before the cruise.

My Mom and I tried them and we looked as though we were on some serious DRUGS! My eyes were so diliated that you couldnt see the color of my eyes. WE had put them on the night before sailing. On the first night of the cruise, we both had to take them off. Neither of us could swallow water anymore.

These may work wonders for some but for some they might be a nightmare!

Someone told me that you have to pack your new and used film in a special "black bag" so that the xray machines don't expose them. Does anyone know if this is true? And, if so...where does one GET these "black bags"?

The lead bags are not really effective because they will x-ray them longer to see what's inside or want to do a hand inspection, IMHO. I'm a photographer and take all my used and new film out of the packaging and plastic canisters and put them in a baggie with my card. I let them know I'm a professional photographer and ask for a hand inspection. (You can tell them you are even if you don't have cards.) They take you aside and swipe each roll and test it. I've even done this with underwater cameras. I haven't been refused a hand inspection yet. A safer method I try to use is to buy film at my destination and develop it before I go back home. I usually do this when traveling to foreign countries. The inspectors will tell you it won't damage your film, but the effects are cumulative. Allowing extra time, being courteous, giving the inspectors big smiles and treating them like they're important (and they are) helps get me through easily.

Happy photographing!

I know some had said that the higlighters were used to mark things to do that day, but to us they were great for Bingo. I hate those turn down the tabs. This is alot easier. Linda

Thanks Linda, I think thats a new one, at least it is for me! Again, Thank you!

We already include most of the great ideas that were already posted here, but here's some more. Some of this stuff may seem kinda insane :rolleyes: , but we know what we like and we know what we need. Some of these just make life more pleasant. Here goes-

We take--

Morning coffee and tea

Coffee- our own with a cone drip coffee maker

Tea & Splenda-- The kind I like

24oz insulated mugs-- like from Starbucks

Sugar, milk, cream, etc-- room service or heist from buffett

Drink setups--

Magic Bullet blender for margheritas--small & powerful (new tip for us!)

OJ into empty water bottle at breakfast buffett

Fruit from buffett into a ziploc & the fridge (lemons, limes)

Soda of our choice brought onboard

A paring knife (for cutting fruit)

Diet Caffeine-free pepsi or coke (cause you rarely see it onboard!)

32oz plastic cup with straw for cold drinks

Extras

Swiss army knife

travel alarm clock

'Squid' plug

Extra ziplocs (all sizes including new travel size)

Pop-up mesh hamper

Backpack & beach bag

Case for my glasses while snorkeling/at beach

Take ziplocs on beach/wet excursions to protect cameras & stuff

Small McCormick(?) pepper mill (I hate to wait at dinner)

Candy & gum that we like and might not find onboard

Phone cards to make international calls

Wipies

Something to stick on the door so we can find our room easier

Print out some business-type cards with your contact info to pass out to people you meet

Medical kit

An assortment of over-the-counter meds (each in snack ziplocs & labeled with the cut-out front of the box)

Extra RX meds that we might need

Dental repair kit (cement/putty that temperarily replaces lost fillings & crowns)

Eyeglass repair kit (small & cheap)

Small scissors & tweazers

Thanks for all the great new ideas!

Archived