finding the best deal

George K

We are considering a western caribbean cruise this summer early June. We will be down in florida for vacation either before or after the cruise. I have heard you can get very good deals going to the port of departure and buying your cruise the day before or the day of departure. We know this is a risk but we have the flexability in our schedules to try it and there is a number of different boats leaving from different ports not far apart. Is there anyone out there that has accually done this? Your response is greatly welcome. Thanks in advance.

George K

George, welcome to CC!

I could be wrong, but I don't think this scenario exists any longer, since September 11.

I have heard you can get very good deals going to the port of departure and buying your cruise the day before or the day of departure. George K

Madelinerose is correct. Since 9/11 the cruise lines have to turn in their manifests to the government 72 hours before sailing.

You might get a good deal by checking the cruise line sites a couple of weeks before you want to sail and seeing what's available, but most ships are sailing full these days.

Good luck :) ,

Sorry about the next day cruises being nixed. We have been looking at some "last minute" cruises and they run about two weeks out. The down side is that you can't get your pick of cabins. Usually, all of the good ones are taken.

There are some 5 nighters going for less than $300 pp. I even saw one last month going for $209. BARGAIN!! I wouldn't care if I had to sleep on deck for that price.:D Unfortunately Miss Ginger couldn't get loose.

Keep an eye on the online TA's then you can be in tune with what is available. Even if you want to use a local TA, this is still a good way to keep track of what is coming up.

I have also been told that since Sept 11 you can no longer just show up and try to get on......however, my parents friends did that last year and had no problem getting a room. My parents are in Florida right now and will be trying to do the same thing in about a week, so I will let you know how it goes. I told them not to get their hopes up because I didn't think they were going to be able to do it, but they just said if they can they can. If not, no big deal!

Don't try it because you can't do it. You cannot buy a cruise ticket at the port.

Like someone else mentioned you can get some good deals about 2 weeks out. There are a couple of TA web sites that advertise at lot of last minute deals (a lot of them being about 2-4 weeks out). Sorry I can't mentioned any TA's on this board but if you search in google you should be able to find some.

Archived