Iguazu Falls from Itajai, Brazil and Rio Question

cujosmom

I have booked Celebrity's Journey next November for two days Rio, one day Buenos Aires, 1 day Montevideo and 1 day Angra Dos Reis. It will be docked two days at Itajai (8:00-6:00 PM). I am assuming it is there for 2 days so that an excursion to Iguazu Falls can be done. I want to do the Falls but am sure the ship's excursion will be very pricey. Has anyone done the Falls independently from Itajai? The shore excursions have not been posted yet for my date/itinerary.

Also, can anyone recommend a private guide for Rio that would show us around for the two port days we are there?

I can't help you specifically, but last year we did the excursion to the falls from Rio via Tam airlines and we stayed at the Sheraton in Argentina we had a travel guide that we used there who picked us up and returned us to the airport and expedited our multiple border crossings. It cost us less than a single person doing the ships excursion. So, I am certain you can do this on your own. Feel free to email me, and I will give you any of the details of our trip.

In Rio we did our own thing in conjunction with the hotel and the taxis that they arranged.

jc

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

if you find out something please post it. We our scheduled for the Journey 2/27/08 and we had the same thoughts for a day visit to the falls. We had friends who did a day trip from BA, but we prefer to do it here rather than BA if possible

I have flown from Iguacu Falls to Rio on GOL. It is a one stop flight with a connection in Curitiba. I think that TAM has a non-stop but the price was at least twice as high and the times didn't work for us. I can't imagine trying to do this in one day as the flight times might not be great and your time at the falls would be really rushed.

I would really visit the falls as a side visit at the start or end of the cruise. If you can, stay inside the park on the Brazilian side at the Tropical Hotel das Cataratas

We will be in Itajai for TWO days. Although the shore excursions have not been posted yet for this cruise, I have been told a shore excursion to the falls will be done from this city. I was just trying to figure out how I could do independently instead of through the ship budget wise.

We did a day trip from BA to the falls and it was a long day. We booked our own air on Argentina Airlines independent of what the cruise ship offered and it was much less $. If I had it to do over and had the time, I would stay overnight at the Sheraton Hotel within the park. It is the only hotel within the park and very nice. Doing the falls in one day is doable if that is your only option but is a long day. Have a great trip, we sure did.

Well so far I found out X charges $850pp for a trip to the falls. That's alot of $ for a 1 day trip! I believe you can book air indepedendently from RIo or BA. Does anyone know of a tour operator or private tour guide we can hire from the Igusau airport to/from the falls w/ a tour?

You will be far better off going to the falls pre cruise. The commercial airline schedule does not work well with a cruise stop.

The only airline schedule that would work

Day 1-leave at 9:25 arrive Iguazu Falls at 3:20

Day 2-Leave at 6:30AM, arrive back at 2:15.

Not much time and the plane fare is almost $600.00 on TAM.

I am sure the cruiseline has a nonstop charter, just as they do for Machu Pichu. That is one reason the price is so high. But when you figure in your own flights, a hotel for the night and only a few hours exploring the Brazilian side of the falls (not really enough time to get to the Argentinian side), you would be almost as well off to take the ship tour.

I still would try to figure out how to tack on a couple of days either before or after. You want to be able to fly out of BA.

Good luck!!!

Archived