Amazon River

george/patricia

We took the Regatta cruise (26-day) to the Amazon in November '06 and it was the best cruise ever. It is a cruise where you really must have a balcony cabin because you don't want to miss any activity on the river. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. What a learning experience. Plus, there was an excellent lecturer on board which greatly enhanced the cruise.

• 2 months later...
Brazil also requires a visa. Get it yourself through a service recommended by your TA, and NOT through Oceania.

This is an older post. Does anyone know the reasons for preferring a different way of getting your visa?

Ivan

Just now saw your question addressed to me (sorry for delay answering).

We sailed downstream from Manaus (East), and then North in the Atlantic, ending the cruise in San Juan, Puerto Rico 10 nights later.

When we went (12-91) yellow fever shots were required, and the US CDC highly recommended protection against malaria also (pills).

Joe & Ivan, have you looked at the Brazil Embassy website? Some consulates in some areas of the country allow you to just mail in your passport w/ application. Others require you to use a service. Unfortunately, our area (San Francisco consulate) requires either in person or by service. The cost is the big difference with Oceania. A local service charges about $165 vs. appx. 250+ w/Oceania. We're too "thrifty" for that. Check the Brazil website for info on your area.

Joe & Ivan, have you looked at the Brazil Embassy website? Some consulates in some areas of the country allow you to just mail in your passport w/ application. Others require you to use a service. Unfortunately, our area (San Francisco consulate) requires either in person or by service. The cost is the big difference with Oceania. A local service charges about $165 vs. appx. 250+ w/Oceania. We're too "thrifty" for that. Check the Brazil website for info on your area.

Yes, at your suggestion, I did check the web site:

http://www.brasilemb.org/consulado/consular_table_fee.shtml

http://www.brasilemb.org/consulado/consular_visa_tourism.shtml

For us, it boils down to paying Oceania $229 per person and letting them act as our service or hiring someone else to perform the service for us. Surely, Oceania must contract this to a different company. For our peace of mind and simplicity (relatively speaking, I'm sure), we'll go ahead with the Oceania service.

Thanks, Ivan

• 3 months later...

We came back in May from the Viking Sky China trip. It was wonderful? (How can I say China was wonderful??) First, the ship was immaculate. Staff all spoke English. Hang at the bar (tipping extra for some great drinks). The sights were all amazing. School was so enlightning. Hope you REALY like Chinese food! Bring lots of ones and fives for bartering and an extra bag. I would truly go again. Can send you some pictures if you like.

Lynne

We came back in May from the Viking Sky China trip. It was wonderful? (How can I say China was wonderful??) First, the ship was immaculate. Staff all spoke English. Hang at the bar (tipping extra for some great drinks). The sights were all amazing. School was so enlightning. Hope you REALY like Chinese food! Bring lots of ones and fives for bartering and an extra bag. I would truly go again. Can send you some pictures if you like.Lynne

Pandora...I'm totally confused..:confused: Are you speaking about Oceania's Regatta to the Amazon river , or are you speaking about a Century Cruise?

This thread was started in Feb. about the Regatta to the Amazon which leaves Nov. 25 2007..Does not go anywhere near China, only the Caribbean & Brazil.We sure hope that we will not have only Chinese Food..LOL.:) Betty

Archived