Galaxy?

cruzgal11

I am thinking about booked an eastern caribbean cruise on the Galaxy leaving for PR. Has anyone been on the Galaxy lately and can tell me about it- good and the bad of her. Also the price for an oceanview was pretty cheap for an 11 nighter, is that something to be worried about??

We were on her in October 2006 for the Black Sea cruise. Been on her for 3 other cuises before that one. She needs some new carpet and the windows on the Observation Lounge need replaced. Most windows are fogging and one was covered with wood. But service, food, staff, etc., were all 5 star still.

We just got home last night from a 10 day stay on the Galaxy. We are HAL cruisers who prefer smaller more classic ships and I will say that the Galaxy is a beautiful ship with incredable attention to a combination of mid-century and deco design, along with the flow in the public spaces she is wonderful. That being said she need more than replacing carpets and windows. We had a balcony on deck 9 that was very rusty--not just stained but dark flaking rust. The plexiglass balcony "railings" need to be replaced not only on some balconies but on some of the public decks also (they are "starring").

Carpet was being replaced in the halls while we were onboard and the pooldeck has been refinished.

Even with all the wear I am glad that I had the chance to see her in her original form before any changes are made after drydock--I know that they will add a specialty dining venue and some more balconies--probably those secret aft sunning places will be gone.

Our cruise critic group had a cabin tour and the oceanview cabin looked very nice, just like our veranda cabin but with a big window instead of the veranda.

We also just got off galaxy-had a fabulous cruise. The service we had was wonderful and we loved the made to order waffle/pancake/pasta station.

We had an inside cabin that was in great shape and had alot of storage and plenty of room for the two of us. We got an excellent price on an inside cabin deck 10 so we were very satisfied with our entire cruise. We especially loved our "secret aft sunning place" on deck 10 that we discovered!!

We have cruised on Royal Caribbean Empress of the Seas and the Galaxy and we prefer the Galaxy over the Empress

cruzgal11,

I am thinking about booked an eastern caribbean cruise on the Galaxy leaving for PR. Has anyone been on the Galaxy lately and can tell me about it- good and the bad of her. Also the price for an oceanview was pretty cheap for an 11 nighter, is that something to be worried about??

I just completed an 11 night cruise aboard MV Galaxy. She's generally in excellent condition, and the things that need attention are getting it. When I left her on 02 February 2007, they had completed replacement of the deck material on 3/4 of the deck around the pool and were about to do the last section at the start of the next cruise before doing the higher weather decks. The new material, called "Bolidt," has a smooth finish that is not slippery even when wet, so it should be ideal for that location.

Some aditional improvements are in the works, too, in an effort to provide "alternative casual entertainment" to go along with "alternative casual dining." In particular, they were planning to add a musician at the bar in the magrodome starting on 12 February and they are upgrading the lights and sound system in the Savoy Night Club to support cabaret shows as an alternative for those who don't want to dress to go to the Celebrity Theater on "formal" and "informal" evenings.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.

Hi Norm:)

Glad you had a good time...did you, or are you going to

post a review for us?

I am planning to sail her next year about this time.....

Should be a great 50th birthday cruise for me:D

Norm

Thanks for the update on Galaxy. We're sailing her on 3/16 and look forward to these changes. We'll give a full review after the cruise.

I especially am interested in the alternative entertainment in the Savoy. Sometimes the theater shows are repetetive and we've been on so many Celeb cruises we'd like some things to change.

Also glad to hear only 2 formal nights. That cuts down on an outfit, not that I take many clothes, but with weight limits it makes life a little easier.

We sailed Galaxy 10 years ago and have since sailed the M class ships. We loved Century (old way) and my kids are sailing in April. We'll see what they think about the new changes.

Thanks to all for the great information

Pat C

We were in 9080 and our friends had 9082. Lots of storage space, I really appreciated the two separate hanging closets so DH had his own space. Our cruise critic group did a room tour and we were able to see an outside cabin on deck 9 also. This was just like our veranda cabin but with a latge picture window instead of the balcony--very nice and bright. There seem to alot of nooks and crannies to find a quiet place to sun and read, the promenade deck has nice chairs that make you feel like you have gone back in time. I'm just getting around to putting together a cruise/port report--we had a wonderful time.

Just returned from 2/2 also

Had a great time

We has a wonderful CC group

Special thanx to Sue for all of her hard work

Cruise Director, John, came to our connections party

told us that ship would go into dry-doc for major rehab in

early 2008

they changed carpet on our deck (12) while we were abord

Finished re-finishing pool deck.

He said that they were sorry that they had to do it while at

sea, but that it was getting very unsafe

All in all we had a great time

Ship is in need of some TLC, (as am I), but generally was in

excellent shape

Crew was great.

X popped for a Super Bowl broadcast complete with hot dogs,

etc. The broadcast was Euoopean ESPN, so text was in Spanish.

They piped in the CBS audio, however.

As a Chicagoan, I was prepared to chain the ship to the dock

in St. Maarten if they did not pipe in the game.

Enjoyed the first part of the game. Bears fans got quieter and

quieter as the game progressed

As we usually say in Chicago, "Wait 'til next year"

Hi Bob and Pinkie, thanks for the update:)

You weren't told when in early '08 this might be?

I want to sail her in Feb or March ......wondering

when this drydock is going to happen.

Some of the fogged in windows have now been replaced with plywood

My understanding is that the plywood replacements were themselves replaced very, very quickly: I think this was reported from a cruise in the early winter, and by the subsequent cruise it was being reported that the plywood had gone. And there has been no mention of plywood windows by passengers from recent cruises.

But if someone from a recent cruise could comment, that would be useful: are there any plywood replacement widonws in the Stratosphere Lounge?

Cruise with the wind,

Oceanrider, I am afraid you may have received some bad information here.

All of the problems on the Galaxy have not been taken care of. Some of the fogged in windows have now been replaced with plywood and the pool roof is still stuck as it has been for years. Some of the bedding has been replaced, but not all. The pool deck area is finally being repaired but there are many outside railings that are worn down to bare wood. The service and food, however, still remain good. There have been a couple of threads that discuss the rather poor overall condition of the Galaxy. C 2 C who has sailed on Celebrity 50 times also has reported that he would rate the Galaxy last in terms of ship maintenance in the Celebrity fleet. The Galaxy is a grand old ship but she has been neglected. Hope this information on the whole story of the Galaxy helps.

I just came off MV Galaxy on 02 February, so I can say from first-hand experience that some of your information is no longer accurate. Let me address each of your points.

>> I can't speak to the fogged windows in the Stratosphere Disco as I did not go there during the cruise, but I know that I did not see any plywood -- which would be pretty obvious -- when looking at the ship from the bow.

>> I did go into or through the Magrodome pretty much every day, and sometimes several times per day, and I saw the retractable roof in exactly two different positions. Most of the time, it was closed completely. One day, however, they had one full section of the roof open.

>> I also did not see any outside railings that were worn down to bare wood. I did, however, see a couple outside railings that were freshly revarnished.

It's certainly quite possible that some staff were neglecting routine maintenance for a time. It's also quite possible that some heads rolled because of the neglected maintenance. In any case, it's very clear that Celebrity Cruises is investing the resources necessary to fix whatever problems may have existed in the past.

Norm.

Hi, do any of you who have recently sailed her know

when this 2008 drydock will take place?

Someone mentioned early 08.....

Would anyone know any more specifics?

Thanks.

Hi, do any of you who have recently sailed her know

when this 2008 drydock will take place?

Someone mentioned early 08.....

Would anyone know any more specifics?

Thanks.

Lois:

Below is the link for the work being done on Mercury. At the end of the press release they mention that work will be done on Galaxy next year however no date is mentioned. This is only a couple of weeks old so I would guess they have not set a date yet.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/celebrity/General_info/Flyers/07007006_MR_Refurbishment.pdf

:) Hi Don, thanks for the link:D ;) :p

See the icons?:D those fun little faces along the side

of the screen?.......LOL

Well, I will be booking Galaxy for the first time while I am

on Mercury next month!

Hopefully she will be in service the time I want to sail!

I am recently off the Galaxy and am amazed about the talk about the retractable roof. That area is lovely and enjoyed by many to read and relax, who choose to be sheltered from the sun and wind but enjoy the sunlight and atrium like atmosphere. There is plenty of deck space available to those who are sun worshipers. As far as plywood, I can't fathom that being the case for very long at all. I was on in late Jan. and they were even offering free champaigne or Mimosas because of the inconvenience of resurfacing part of the pool deck. The ship is a glorious workhorse and as far as I could see, they were doing thier upmost to keep her in great condition.

Anyone who has been on 11 night carib from San Juan..we are going March 26th/07..and getting excited. First Celebrity cruise...need some info:

Wondering what time muster drill was done (have seen posts of 8pm)?

Was first night dining traditional or open dining?

Cost of thallastherapy pool for non suite cruisers, any special rate by booking for whole cruise...is it worth it?

Thanks..

kathywin53,

Anyone who has been on 11 night carib from San Juan..we are going March 26th/07..and getting excited. First Celebrity cruise...need some info:

Wondering what time muster drill was done (have seen posts of 8pm)?

The muster drill was at 7:45 PM on 22 January 2007.

Was first night dining traditional or open dining?

The frist night was open seating, but you had to go to the dining room either between 6:00 and 6:30 so you could finish dinner before the muster drill or between 8:30 and 9:00 to dine after the muster drill.

Cost of thallastherapy pool for non suite cruisers, any special rate by booking for whole cruise...is it worth it?

I don't know. I did not use it.

Thanks..

You're welcome. Have a great cruise!

Norm.

Tried to get into restaurant at about 7pm and was told to come

back in 45 minutes.

When those that ate at 6 left "second shift" was seated

When they rang alarm for lifeboat drll, they were just serving

the main course.

Guess that nobody "heard" alarm, because they just kept serving

A fair # of folks did not seem to make to to drill quite on time, and no one seemed to much care.

The itenerary created the problem, because they are required to have

the drill with in a certain # of hors after sailing or before sailing

Ship sailed at 10 pm and docked in Tortola at 8am.

Kind of cuts into drill time.

• 4 weeks later...

Returned early March from a southern Carib. cruise from San Juan. Fine ship with exceptional staff. Windows are REALLY fogged in the lounge, but no plywood. Our favorite lounge--but only visited once due to the windows. Cruised on Mercury the year before in Alaska, and their windows were starting to fog--corner windows. Galaxy is an older ship, and you can see some wear, but is constantly being refurbished. Will probably sail on her again in Europe. Does anyone know if the windows are going to be fixed? The Med. would be great to sit and observe from this lounge. If this happened in Alaska, it would have changed our cruise experience--a little cold to constantly stand on the deck.

Archived