dress compliance

kkid

It depends on the number of pax whose luggage got an additional siteseeing trip. :D

Pretty much everybody follows the code in the restaurants. Dinner @ 2 is one code down from the main restaurant and there is always course by course in your suite... bathrobes suggested. :eek:

I don't know how to say this and not come across as a snob, so I guess I'll just have to say it anyway.

I was on Holland America's Amsterdam to Alaska a few years ago. Has anyone ever been on that ship? It's beautiful. Their public rooms and the artwork on board...it's a graceful, elegant ship. I was stunned at how sloppy alot of the passengers dressed. One can dress casually without looking like you just rolled out of bed. That is one of the reasons I moved over to Seabourn. I like the old world, elegant cruising type of atmosphere. Even when dressed casually, everyone looks great.

I've only been on a couple of cruises, so I haven't had the experience most Seabourn sailors have had. But I have to tell you....I have never seen anyone dressed in a "careless" fashion, anywhere on board.

Jane (who is sorry if she just offended anyone)

Matt,

Yes I have~~~many years ago on the Pride (Caribbean) a family of 4 (Mother, Father, teen's, son and daughter) had "won " a 7 day Seabourn cruise (where/when/how I don't know) The family simply would not adhere to the dress code. Captain Rodahl, needless to say, was upset, as well as the other Guests. Finally, it came down to: "either dress or disembark!" You guessed it~~~the family started dressing appropriately and all was well~~~but it took Captain Leif's kind encouraging words to nudge them into the appropriate Seabourn dress code.

Martita B.

Even when dressed casually, everyone looks great.

I've only been on a couple of cruises, so I haven't had the experience most Seabourn sailors have had. But I have to tell you....I have never seen anyone dressed in a "careless" fashion, anywhere on board.

Jane (who is sorry if she just offended anyone)

Couple points Alaska/Caribbean cruises are the most "casual" for most cruise lines. You go to Europe and the dress IMHO goes up. Now there are exceptions for all lines. LOL at 10:00PM at night just getting back from a VERY long day into Moscow, the HAL Statendam had their "Veranda" open for the hungry people from the tour. Dress was worn and tired :D and so was I.

As for my old LOL story of my 4 day Silverseas cruise that only 10% of the men worn Tuxs on formal night and one guy show up with a sport's coat, loafers with no socks. But like Pinkie's story most ppl I talked to were on "Free Tickets" (brought mainly by Drug and Insurance companies) and that probably created the strange mix of passengers for even Silverseas. Yipes I brought a Tux, a Suit for informal nights (I thought I had to wear a tie) and a sport's coat, all for a 4 day cruise...

I was on the Amsterdam for 21 days in 2004 . I went to South America and Antarctica. I told Miss M this past summer that some people were dressed like they were going out in the yard to pull weeds !!!:eek: AND ... they were packing the worst clothing that they had and then " leaving behind " ( throwing them away ) to put some souvenirs in their suitcases. That explains why some folks don't dress well because they throw their clothes away at the end of the cruise to have more room . I do the opposite .. I throw my clothes away BEFORE the cruise so I can go shopping and buy nice new ones !!!:p I don't need any souvenirs !!:)

BB, you remind me of a long hot day to Chichen Itza when a bus had a flat on the way back and our bus had the jack and another bus had the spare. The local ferry shuttle got us out to Sitmar’s Fairwind after dark and against some pretty good wind and spray. The only appropriate gangway left was one where we had to go through the Dining room while everybody else was already well into dinner and we unfortunately looked like the dog’s dinner! The staff kindly welcomed us and assured us that the chef had held back his preparations enough to give us good time to freshen up and return....Old Sitmar had some nice touches and I guess the bottom line was that we all did end up appropriately dressed thanks to their consideration.

Bill

This brings up an interesting question. Since most people that sail Seabourn adhere to the dress codes, has anyone actually seen the staff enforce the code by turning away someone dressed in an inappropriate way?

Yes, last year on the Legend two gentlemen were asked by the Restaurant manager to kindly wear the jackets that were about to arrive from behind the scenes.They almost fitted,and the gentlemen did not make the same mistake again.

Hello Seabourners!

I've taken just one Seabourn Cruise, in our cruise I must say most of passengers dressed accordingly. There were two couples traveling together that were all the time in t-shirts and short sleeve shirts, very very casual as you will wear in a sailing boat, though I can say I don't think it bothered any one as they will always dinned in the 2 restaurant, outside, which has a more casual atmosphere, though they were still "too casual" and will later go the the skybar until the end of the night, that was their choice and I respect that. It seemed they did not want to dress up, and they did not participate in any of the night activities.

I'm not particularly in love with dressing up every night when I'm traveling but taking into account that Seabourn in comparsson with other cruise ships, has plenty of closet space !!! and the fact that you only pack unpack once makes it a bit easier.

Ele

Several years ago on the Legend Nov. crossing there was a woman who was fond of wearing sweat pants and sweat shirt to dinner in the restaurant. The first time was on the second or third night of the cruise where the dress code was elegant casual and this lady wore pink sweats to dinner in the dining room. It was NOT Miss Martita B, aka Pinkie. I gave her the benifit of doubt assuming her luggage had been lost.

Then, a few nights later, she strolled into the restraurant on a formal night to the Captain's table (and late BTW) for dinner wearing sneakers and powder blue sweats. Later, I and others made discreet inquiries and determined her luggage had not been lost.

IMHO wearing sweats in the public areas of a ship on a formal evening is unacceptable on any cruise line. This experience was an anomaly. My experience has been that the Seabourn sailors on the cruises I have sailed on have dressed on the elegant side of the evening dress code. :) :)

Yes, unfortunately, I have witnessed great protuberances of flab in the Veranda at lunch time.

Apparently a travel agent located in Europe contracted with Seabourn and guaranteed bookings for a Med cruise. About half the ship was part of this tour group. They would sun themselves in skimpy attire and then sashay into the Veranda for lunch. Not one of the staff asked them to cover themselves more appropriately; when we spoke to the staff, they just rolled their eyes in sympathy with us. This travel agent provides a large number of bookings for Seabourn so the rest of us were out of luck and out of breath because they all smoked. And constantly, and everywhere. The deck BarBQ was awash in cigar and cigarette smoke.

This was more than just cultural differences - this was rude and insensitive.

:mad:

are sweat pants acceptable during the day or should i leave them at home thanks from lorneross.

Lorneross,

As a avid deck walker, I will pack a sweat suit for my next crossing in March; sailing northeast toward Europe it can be chilly and / or breezy. Sweats are perfectly acceptable for on-deck, spa and lunch al fresco at the Sky Grill during the daytime.

However, I think sweats would not be appropriate for breakfast and lunch in the restaurant. During my warm-weather cruises I have occasionally gone straight from Trivia to lunch in the restaurant wearing Bermuda shorts and tee shirt. It seems Seabourn is moving toward elegant casual in the restaurant for breakfast and lunch.

Breakfast and lunch in the Veranda Café is casual - shorts and tee shirts are acceptable. However, I think sweats, like bathing suits would be deemed too casual attire and would be considered a no-no. You may want to consider packing a pair of dockers or slacks, collared shirt and a sweater (it can be chilly in the restaurant) for daytime dining in either the restaurant or Veranda.

I know there are other boards where this subject comes up now and again and the debate can get pretty heated. For my two cents, I would be embarassed to show up on a ship of any line improperly dressed. It falls upon every prospective passenger to research the ships and the lines that they are interested in sailing on and respect their fellow passengers by following the suggested dress. These days there is a cruise for practically every budget and a handful of them seem to have an "anything goes" mentality. If a passenger has the attitude that "it's my vacation and I'll wear what I want" they should look away from lines like Seabourn. I'm sympathetic to some degree for those individuals whose bags are delayed or misrouted, having worked in the executive offices of a major airline I know that these things happen, but there are steps that can be taken to help avoid finding oneself with no bags: fly to the port city the day before the sailing to allow yourself and the airline some leeway (and shopping time for you) in the event of a baggage issue. Send bags ahead by a luggage service. I always have a rollaboard with essentials and valuables in the aircraft cabin with me. If it doesn't go with me, I don't go...end of story. But, I digress...the bottom line is if you aren't comfortable in the appropriate clothing for Seabourn, I'm sure the folks at Windjammer or Carnival would love to see you.

The understood dress code is yet another reason in a long list why we are choosing to try SB!

I get to "dress down" as much as I want on weekends and evenings during the week. Besides, I LOVE shopping for new clothes :rolleyes:

LOL I hate shopping for clothes... Internet it :D But one of my loves of cruising is dressing up for a nice dinner on a cruise. My longest cruise to-date is 14 days and maybe it would get boring on very long cruises, still the evening meal is something I look forward on cruises.

Also I love the RSSC/Seabourn open seating. One of the things I worry a little about my Celebrity cruise is I could be seated with some jerks for 14 days. :(

Archived