Is Westerdam changing "that much" in dry dock?

Schplinky

I was just looking at Westerdam's deck plans and noticed that there are two versions of each deck showing now, on the HAL site. One is pre May 9 and the other is post-May 9. I didn't realise the drydock was for much more than carpets and tv's.

According to the 2008 Caribbean brochure I have here, the Westerdam (and Zuiderdam in 2008 and Oosterdam in 2009) will be undergoing some dramatic changes.

The Explorations Cafe will be installed in the crows nest, where the Oak Room currently is. The former internet centre will now be luxury shops, a'la the Eurodam. The Windstar Cafe will be removed and the Pinnacle Bar installed. Additionally, it looks like some cosmetic changes will be made to the Ocean Bar (removal of the wall nearest the atrium), and re-arranging the existing shops area.

Also, some additional cabins will be installed at the aft end of the ship on several decks to bring the stern more in line with that of the Noordam. It looks like these cabins will be added to the Upper Verandah, Rotterdam, and Navigation Decks. Note that the cabin numbering will be changing for this location too.

It will be interesting to see what other cosmetic makeovers the ship recieves during this time as well.

Also, some additional cabins will be installed at the aft end of the ship on several decks to bring the stern more in line with that of the Noordam. It looks like these cabins will be added to the Upper Verandah, Rotterdam, and Navigation Decks. Note that the cabin numbering will be changing for this location too.

So how much smaller will that make those stern cabins?

I believe it will be going back to Fincantieri in Venice, Italy where it was built after its Transatlantic cruise in April to have the work completed before the ship starts its Mediterranean cruises.

Thanks Atomica. I had no idea. It looks like 4/17-5/10.

At this point we are booked on the second sail after dry-dock. This will be our second sail on this ship and 3rd in Vista class. Being the most oblivious- easy going HAL PAL ever, I am hard-pressed to even recall the Winstar Cafe. I am thinking this is the premium coffee/pastry area. This is pathetic, I know. I am so much more focused on the ports that I don't pay the kind of attention to stuff, that so many on this board do. It's my loss. But if you want to know how to do the Amalfi coast on a $3 public bus with locals and chickens, I am at my best. :)

According to something I read somewhere else (too lazy to find it now!:rolleyes: ), the size of the aft cabins themselves won't change, but the verandas will be smaller (except maybe on deck 4). Since they are basically remaking the stern to look like Noordam's, I think the best bet is to compare the post-retrofit Westerdam deck plans to the Noordam deck plans - I did that, and they looked almost identical to me in the area of the aft cabins - so I suspect the aft cabins on W'dam will now be essentially the same as N'dam's - which still ain't too bad!

But if you can wait until November, I hope to be able to tell you myself!:D

According to the 2008 Caribbean brochure I have here, the Westerdam (and Zuiderdam in 2008 and Oosterdam in 2009) will be undergoing some dramatic changes.

The Explorations Cafe will be installed in the crows nest, where the Oak Room currently is. The former internet centre will now be luxury shops, a'la the Eurodam. The Windstar Cafe will be removed and the Pinnacle Bar installed. ....

Someone with more HAL experience please tell me if I am right about this: The removal of the Windstar Cafe does not mean there will be no specialty coffee shop (lattes and other espresso drinks), it's just that it will now be relocated to the Explorations Cafe? Or am I wrong and it's bye-bye lattes?

Someone with more HAL experience please tell me if I am right about this: The removal of the Windstar Cafe does not mean there will be no specialty coffee shop (lattes and other espresso drinks), it's just that it will now be relocated to the Explorations Cafe? Or am I wrong and it's bye-bye lattes?

You are correct - there will still be specialty coffees served in the Explorations Cafe, though speaking as someone who enjoys a daily latte, I really appreciated the Windstar Cafe for its convenient location to most everything, including the promenade deck.

Hammybee, you're right about the Windstar - it's the existing area that serves the coffee and pastries on Deck 2 just off of the Atrium. I can't say I've ever even sat there - I've just ordered coffee from it, which is perhaps why HAL's changing it over to the Pinnacle Bar - hopefully more people will sit there!

I believe it will be going back to Fincantieri in Venice, Italy where it was built after its Transatlantic cruise in April to have the work completed before the ship starts its Mediterranean cruises.

The work will be done by Fincantieri but at their Palermo yard. This is the yard where Celebrity's Century was upgraded last year (new balconies etc.) I believe they have started building the new superstructure already.

Too bad about the Windstar Cafe. it was our favourite spot to pass the afternoon.

Maybe, but you will be able to get a coffee etc. from the Explorations Cafe and then lounge in the Crows Nest.

I don't think they will change as the aft superstructure will be changed to accommodate the new cabins. Apart from the extra cabins at the same grade I noticed that there was a couple extra inside cabins on the Noordam in the aft arrangement.

Never fear, you will still be able to purchase your gourmet cup of Joe at the Explorations Cafe, which is being relocated near the Crows Nest on the Observation deck. Here's a deck plan for that area after May 9, 2007.

You are correct - there will still be specialty coffees served in the Explorations Cafe, though speaking as someone who enjoys a daily latte, I really appreciated the Windstar Cafe for its convenient location to most everything, including the promenade deck. ...!

Never fear, you will still be able to purchase your gourmet cup of Joe at the Explorations Cafe, which is being relocated near the Crows Nest on the Observation deck. Here's a deck plan for that area after May 9, 2007.

Whew! Thanks for relieving my concerns - and such fast relief!:)

I was surprised to see that you were concerned about the deck plan changes or other changes on the Westerdam since you are adamant that you will not go on Holland again. This will be our first cruise with Holland which we carefully picked since this is not our first cruise and it had been highly recommended by a close business friend. I am happy to read so many positive posts by so many that have sailed various Holland ships whereas mostly what you have posted has been negative which could wrongly influence others. I think things can happen to all of us but sometimes it is just that and maybe better to write it off than belabor the point.

Sounds like a little bit of tweaking isn't a bad thing, though I didn't find that much in need of improvement on the W last week. I always say that everyone's experience is subjective. I'm in my late 30's (not so late I like to think) and took the 7day eastern Caribbean with two friends who are in the same age range. This being my first cruise ever, I wasn't sure what to expect but I knew what to expect from HAL: majority of passengers older than myself, not overloaded w/activities, etc, etc. and I was totally fine with it. I didn't expect anything more or anything less and had an absolutely relaxing vacation.....and can't wait to sail w/HAL again.

They won't change at all. Just compare the plans for the Noordam decks 6, 7, and 8 versus the other Vistas: the cabins are added by extending the decks, giving the aft a steeper profile.

I was surprised to see that you were concerned about the deck plan changes or other changes on the Westerdam since you are adamant that you will not go on Holland again. This will be our first cruise with Holland which we carefully picked since this is not our first cruise and it had been highly recommended by a close business friend. I am happy to read so many positive posts by so many that have sailed various Holland ships whereas mostly what you have posted has been negative which could wrongly influence others. I think things can happen to all of us but sometimes it is just that and maybe better to write it off than belabor the point.

I have not aimed to mislead and have spoken freely about HAL's strengths (food, service) as well as its weaknesses (activities, entertainment). That you find that negative is disappointing but then again, you're still reading so at some level you must be interested. I find it far more misleading to readers that there are folks who feel that only the cheerleading stuff be posted. If you find balanced writing to be tiresome, I'm sorry for that. someone must have liked my reviews since I got Review of the Week on CC for the review I did of Westerdam.

I was looking at the deck plans to help friends who have already commited to going with other friends to choose their cabin.

They won't change at all. Just compare the plans for the Noordam decks 6, 7, and 8 versus the other Vistas: the cabins are added by extending the decks, giving the aft a steeper profile.

I think it's neat that they can do this and think that those who are in the aft quarters will like that they are likely going to be less visible to those on the back side of the ship.

Sorry. I have been reading many posts on Holland and especially Westerdam since that is the one we will be on. I just thought it was strange with some of the posts you have made considering you have no further interest in Holland. And, yes, I did notice that your review was picked for Review of the Week.

I think that for a certain type of passenger, HAL is a perfect fit. For us, it wasn't. That was the entire tone of my posts and most people reading them thought that. I certainly understand your feelings about my posts considering you have invested in a vacation on Westerdam but i would presume that you and I are different people and that you will have a different experience of the same circumstances.

We think our friends will have a great time on Westerdam. The strengths (food, service) will be fully enjoyed by them but the weaknesses will be minimised because they are going on a full ship charter and that company brings its own entertainment and activities to supplement HAL's.

I would never say HAL was an awful line (it isn't) but given that we have felt that others were a better fit for us, it would be silly to return, knowing we could be happier elsewhere.

I also meant to say (being brief has never been my gift) that I am also just plain faschinated at how they can alter a ship after it was built. That they can change the profile of the aft of this ship is amazing to me. We were on Enchantment of the Seas after she was "stretched" and I honestly could not tell where they inserted the new 72 foot section.

Captain Harris explained at our Mariners reception that they plan to add 30 ft to some of the decks at the stern of the ship. They will also add some cabins with long side windows and no balcony to the upper deck. My impression was that the ship will have less of a graduated 'step' to the decks at the stern and more of flat end (similar to a Princess ship).

Thanks Atomica. I had no idea. It looks like 4/17-5/10.

At this point we are booked on the second sail after dry-dock. This will be our second sail on this ship and 3rd in Vista class. Being the most oblivious- easy going HAL PAL ever, I am hard-pressed to even recall the Winstar Cafe. I am thinking this is the premium coffee/pastry area. This is pathetic, I know. I am so much more focused on the ports that I don't pay the kind of attention to stuff, that so many on this board do. It's my loss. But if you want to know how to do the Amalfi coast on a $3 public bus with locals and chickens, I am at my best. :)

LOL, hammybee! I have to agree. We're just off the Noordam and I realize that I didn't see a lot nor spend a lot of time examining all the details. We enjoyed her thoroughly but didn't examine every detail. I do know that the premium coffee/pastry area on the Noordam is in the library area and is called Explorations Cafe. Did spend a lot of time there...it's a wonderful place to read, relax, and enjoy a good latte! We went through 2 coffee cards but "0" pastry! :rolleyes:

We spent a lot of time walking the Promenade Deck and the Sports Deck, a lot of time sitting on our verandah or at the Aft pool, reading and watching the world go by..a fair amount of time on sea days enjoying the ship offerings. When we were in port, we were always off the ship doing whatever it was that we wanted to do.

I never stepped foot in the spa. I can do that at home....a minute's walk from our house. I can walk another five for a really cheap but great....pedicure for $25 (the Asian population has taken over that industry here), so the spa just doesn't hold any appeal here.

We go to innkeeping conferences twice a year at wonderful New England resorts, and I never take advantage of the spas in those either...we'd rather spend our time exploring the area we happen to be in at the time.

Archived