anyone sewing their cruise clothes?

Karen_B

[quote name='cruisetoscrap'][color=black]
[color=black]Now my question is how do you handle getting your self made stuff washed on a cruise ship or by some one not you? I don't have labels for the different fabrics and I'm worried they will think my homemade clothes are weird.[/color][/QUOTE]

I'm the same way! I only sew formals for cruises, so I don't need to worry about laundering, but they do need pressing. Part of me feels like I'm sending my babies away and worry that somebody else wouldn't take as good care of them as I would and another part of me worries that the laundry staff will see my imperfections which only I should know of.
I always take them to the launderette and press them myself.
However, I bet they've seen all manner of strange things and would think nothing of it!

i remain in my sewing binge. i've been sewing today, i've got my "fit for real people" book open and ready for me to redraft a sleeve, and i'm sitting presently with 3 yards of fabric draped around me -- hopefully it will turn out well enough to be a formal night dress.

i found 2 1/2 yards of burgundy stretch velvet in my closet, so that will definitely be a formal night outfit as well. i think i've thought through what i want it to be, but i'll have to redraft a favorite dress pattern, so this dress concept will work.

now i'm realizing as my outfits come together that my bras are getting old, and my clothes will look much better with fresh perky bras! aack, it's much easier to find sewing time than going to the mall time.

For all you sewing-for-the-cruise (aka gotta cruise so I can sew for the cruise gang),,,check out patternreview.com. This is without a doubt the most fabulous web site for reviews of all makes of patterns. The posters also put up pictures of their garments and tell if the outfit "worked" or "didn't work". There are also reviews of online fabric stores, sewing machines, etc. and sewing shortcut and tips galore. The greatest thing I've ever seen for a cruise are cute little wraparound skirts, which seem to work for every age group, depending on the length. One of my table mates last spring was also a seamstress and she had made two very cute cruise-print wrap skirts and then gotten a couple of t-shirts for each from old navy or gap,,,very inexpensive and wore these on shore.
As for me, I'm making an elegant long black satin skirt with two diff tops for formal nights.

aack! we leave wednesday, and i keep having major interruptions! i'm panicking some as to how much i'll get finished. i'm forcing myself to finish what i've started (i hate hemming, would much rather cut or seam) before i let myself cut anything more.

Archived