anyone sewing their cruise clothes?

Karen_B

I am tickled pink that I found a group of folks that sew on a cruise board!

For those of you that sew with the chiffons and sheer fabrics, here is a tip that I learned back when I worked at JoAnn Fabrics. Place a sheet of tissue paper in between the the two fabric pieces when you go to stitch your seams. It is supposed to help keep the fabrics from slipping around on you.

i spent half a day with other sewers who hang out at [url="http://www.patternreview.com"]www.patternreview.com[/url] today. i brought my blue wraptop, and one of the women had couture training in paris; overall, she thought it was coming together well, and the only alterations she suggested, i'd already thought of! it was fun for me as an intermediate sewer to hear i was so nicely on track with her thinking!

black dress that I just purchased last week on sale is [color=red][b][i]absolutely perfect[/i][/b][/color] EXCEPT that it has back darts that "poke out" where they end, which is a few inches down my derrierre. :( [color=royalblue][b]This occurs on the dress AND the satin lining.[/b][/color] It is [b]very obvious[/b] and even the 3 salesladies said they wouldn't wear it that way. WHAT DO I NEED TO DO? I haven't yet tried pressing, and this may help some, but I think not totally....
Any ideas? :confused:
Lisa

lisa, do you have a sewing ham you could press the darts on? the curve of the ham might help ease them in better. if that doesn't do it, you probably need to resew the darts. they probably ended to abruptly rather than fading into the fold of the fabric (i don't know how to describe this well; a sewing book from the library could probably tell how to do this much better!).

think I know what you are referring to - the two-sided little "ironing board" that has very rounded ends? The darts appear to have ended as they should, nothing abruptly, so I'm hoping pressing will work! :rolleyes:
OK, your ideas are the same as mine, so now I feel safe trying them :o .... just wasn't totally sure and wanted some verification!
Thanks so much!:)
Lisa

Even though I'm leaving in just over two weeks, reading this board convinced me to haul out the machine and my stash of fabric/patterns. Over the weekend, I managed to get a pair of shorts, top & short sleeve jacket/blouse done.

Sometimes all you need is a gentle push to get back to something you enjoy.

Thanks all!

[url="http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001"][img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_20_1v.gif[/img][/url]
Debbie

Rick & Debbie
Guelph, ON
[url="http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001"][img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/28/28_1_16.gif[/img][/url]

We leave in 4 days, for our first cruise, and I am still sewing. Today I made a carry bag to carry instead of my purse. It will carry the cameras, docs., medicines, and whatever else I will need to get to that I don't want lost in the luggage. I am still doing alterations to some things I bought. Plans are to have everything done by tomorrow night so that Thursday and Friday I can have a couple of breather days to make sure I have everything I need. With the temperature changes in Alaska, I have had to rethink my clothes. Hope I take the right mix to layer.

Thanks all for suggestions

Jahla;)

I ordered cruise clothes online and was worried that they would be too small.
Turns out the different pants fit but maybe could be taken in a few inches at the waist.
Is it best to take in the back seam or the side or both - though the pockets at
the sides may pose a problem?
One of the pairs of pants have side splits but they're too long so I have to
shorten them and add my own split.
(I'm 5"1' and even when I buy [i][b]petite[/b][/i] cropped pants they fit me like regular :rolleyes:

[font=Microsoft Sans Serif][font=Arial][size=3]I am going on my first cruise and we are going to the Mexican Riviera on Princess in Feb. I love this pattern, Vouge 2810. I love it would be some great motivation to trim down a bit more ;-) My question is do you is is it to dressy and have you worked with boning before.[/size][/font][/font]

[font=Microsoft Sans Serif][font=Arial][/font][/font]

[color=black][font=Verdana][url="http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/voguepatterns/shop.cgi?s.item.200002810=x&TI=20003&pageNum=1&M=&UK=33980961"][font=Arial][size=3][color=#800080]http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/voguepatterns/shop.cgi?s.item.200002810=x&TI=20003&pageNum=1&M=&UK=33980961[/color][/size][/font][/url][/font][/color]

[font=Arial][size=3]My next question is for fabric collectors are their any great places to buy unique fabrics on my cruise?[/size][/font]

i haven't done boning, but if you want boning advice, i know there are experienced sewers over at patternreview.com who could guide you some.

honestly, if i saw that vogue dress fitting someone beautifully on my cruise, i'd probably go up and thank them for wearing it! some clothes are just a treat to see.

I don't sew but I'm looking for some ideas to dress up my sports wheelchair for my wedding in October. Light sewing is okay but I want to make something to kind of "disguise" the chair.

If anyone has any ideas, feel free to email me at [email]hicks_wedding2004@yahoo.com[/email]. Thanks!

Barbara

[size=4][color=#0000ff][i][font=DomCasual BT][color=#ff0000][b]CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR IMPENDING NUPTUALS![/b][/color][/font] [/i][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#0000ff]I would try to make a simple "slipcover", perhaps out of white satin and then use white netting to make bows for various corners. The slipcover should be simple enuf, you can even use fabric glue and just turn in the edges, using rectangles for the areas to be covered, and then either ribbon or cording to tie it into place... I would love to see what you end up doing with it![/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#0000ff]Have fun![/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#0000ff]Lisa[/color][/size]

• 2 weeks later...
I bought a serger today! I've been looking at one for a couple of years, but just my formal cruise clothes and all the home dec stuff I sew should justify the expense over my lifetime. Any words of wisdom from anyone who owns one? Two free half day classes came with it (thank goodness), because I'm not sure I would know what to do with it, despite sewing since I was 10.

BTW---JoAnn Fabrics is having a sale on their Simplicity patterns on Saturday, 9/25, $0.99 each, limit of 10. I spent some time there last night and wrote my 10 down...at that price, why not splurge? Two formal cruise patterns, a casual pants pattern, lots of home dec patterns, a pattern for knit workout clothes (to use that new serger) and Halloween costumes for the kids in my life.

Happy sewing!

congrats on the serger! they really are wonderful, but you're right they're confusing when you're first getting used to them. time for you to mess with scraps of any of your fabrics -- wovens, knits, unstable, stable. play with your machine! do the overlock for seams and try to get the narrow overlock for hems just right. do all sorts of goofing around with your machine, so when you go for your class, you get the most out of it.

my machine came with a video. i think i watched it at least 3 times! and i use it constantly. i'm even sitting here where home-serged pj's!

so enjoy the play time of getting to know your serger! :D

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=darkorchid]I love sergers. I used to use Mom's all the time. I need to get my own. I worked in a sewing factory and used one daily for 5 years. Once you get the hang of it you will love it. Even when you are using your straight stitch machine it is great to serge the seams. Do you have a 4 spool? Any attachements? I will have to get some more patterns this saturday too.[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#9932cc][/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#9932cc]I am done with my skirt and have completed the wrap pants. I am about done with the daughters formal. I am also making some first aid/sewing kits. You take a squard pot holder and snack size ziplock baggies. You sew 3 - 4 bags so the opening is at the outside edge of the pot holder. The other side of the bags would overlap a little at the center and then you stitch a seam going down. Then you add a button and loop to close the kit. You can put your thread wound on a little piece of posterboard and the needles and safety pins through another piece. Use some of the other pouches for bandaids and such.[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#9932cc][/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#9932cc]Happy sewing all.[/color][/font]

jelouse of you all I have no time and such a long list of things to sew.

I know this has nothing to do with cruising ( but I could find a way to make it fit) but you have to try the fabric bowls that are all the rage. I made two last week. VERY EASY! and just used the same stuff to make square costers to match.

Mystery Gal-

The first aid kit sounds just like what I am looking for to hold my jewelry when I pack for a cruise. My necklaces and bracelets are always getting all knotted up in the safe. I didn't quite get the instructions from your post; would you be willing to email me a few more details? I would really appreciate it.-Jeannie
fooledyou9045(at)hotmail.com

I was really surprised and happy to find a group of people who are sewing for their next cruise.

My poor c. 1978 Singer Touch-tronic recently went through a re-hab, thanks to our local Singer repair place. Since then I've been going crazy sewing outfits for our Dec. 11 Zaandam cruise. My favorite patters are Loes Hinse and Revisions, although I think they're both overpriced.

[b][i]Have any of you ever tried the Emmaonesock.com site for fabrics?[/i][/b] I'm addicted to the merchandise that Linda, the owner, sells on this site. Right now she's a little low on prints and silks, but if you haven't been to this site yet, and you love to sew GO THERE and have some fun!!! Voguefabricsstore.com is great also. I have to do lots of on-line shopping because the stores here in Savannah, GA are so awful (the clothing stores and the fabric stores!)

okay, melianne, you know about emmaonesock, you must be a sewing internet junkie like me! where do you hang out online besides linda's store (which i look at daily though i only buy from her a few times a year)? i'm often over at sewingworld.com and patternreview.com and i'm taking my first class over at mysewingclasses.com.

I'm thinking of forming fabricaholicsanonymous -- if it doesn't already exist. I spend some time lurking on the pattern review site, especially before buying a really expensive pattern, but I shop on a lot of different sites. I buy from fashionfabricsclub, voguefabricsstore (my second fav after emmaonesock), londa's creative threads and candlelightvalley fabrics. Then I have to cruise the fedex site to track all of the packages!!

I also purchase a lot of vintage fabrics and linens (tablecloths, linen towels) to make into handbags and pillows. You can check them out on [url="http://www.pieceofthesky.com"]www.pieceofthesky.com[/url].

By the way, I envy your upcoming trip on the Dawn Princess. I really love that ship!

Hello everyone,

Back from our extended (thanks to Jeanne) cruise. Best vacation of our lives, we are definitely hooked on cruising!

Now that you have brought me back to the sewing table, I am looking for some new ideas. Mystery Gal - you refer to wrap around pants. Are these like the ones I saw in Jamaica? Could you please provide the pattern co/number.

Thanks so much.

Debbie

I have used the Simplicty pattern #5508. They are similar to the ones I saw in St. Thomas. A very easy pattern.

I have eight more weeks and I am busy cutting and sewing.

Melianne, I am a founding member of fabricaholics anonymous. On my last cruise to the Carrib, almost all that I bought was fabric for my next trip.

Archived