anyone sewing their cruise clothes?

Karen_B

i don't sail until christmas, and i'm already having a ball going through my stash, wandering through online and real world fabric stores thinking about what to wear at sea!

i think my main patterns will be from kwik sew and 2 independent pattern designers loes hinse (loeshinse.com) and christine jonson (cjpatterns.com). i'm really going crazy with this; i'm creating a storyboard for each day on the ship, and planning my daywear and evening attire. i'm pinning swatches of fabric up to imagine and wonder what is proper caribbean christmas cruise attire! i wander the house at night wearing a few yards of fabric and think "would i feel too hot in this?" or would it be perfect? :p

my goal is to feel totally comfy all the time but just look as great as i can.

Hi there! For me, part of cruising is the "planning" stages, as the gals on these boards know! I, too, sew, and I am sewing a couple of pairs of "palazzo" slacks. They are the slacks with the wide legs. Remember them? It seems to me, here in CT, that they are coming back in style. So I am sewing a white pair for our upcoming cruise. I purchased the brass nautical buttons, 3 for each side of the inner hip, to sew on.

Have fun preparing for your cruise!

Janet:p

My main "base" patterns are Simplicity. I say "base" because I combine patterns, alter patterns and kinda "strike off on my own." I just got some old patterns from my mother (40s-early 70s) and I plan on using a few of those too!

Being the Fabric-aholic that I am I love shopping for more fabric and when I cruise I buy even more on my cruises.

I'm sailing in early December and am having a ball sewing.

Kathy is right. It's the simplistic patterns from ages ago that I use, too. The newer ones are $10 - ridiculous.

For the wide leg pants, it's simply a quick sew up the sides, inner legs, and then whatever your choice of a waistband may be, whether it is with a zipper, an elastic, an invert, etc. ;)

Unfortunately, some of the patterns from when my sister and I were in high school, the designs have come back, but the size -- will never happen. Trying now to figure out how to add a couple of sizes to one when I cut it out.

I too sew my clothes. My daughter is also going on the cruise with me. I have a great purple (more of an eggplant) silky fabric that I am making a great dress for my daughter. I am going to make a top to go with my black velvet skirt. I have made done some sewing for other cruises with adding sequins and embroidery.

When the JoAnn's was closing down near us I bought a bunch of patterns. I am going to make some of the sarong pants.

I agree the planning is always half the fun.:o

Getting ready can be almost as much fun as the cruise. I sew mostly my evening wear. That way I can have a different dress every night for the cost of one! The casual wear I usually pick up at the "end of summer" sales.

Enlarging patterns can be done, but it can be tricky. It's almost a necessity with the price of patterns these days! When you have what you think are the new pieces try comparing them to a garment that you already have that fits you well. I mix patterns new and old, invent my own, or create them from a "store bought" garment that I like.

The most important thing I do is make a test run with some very inexpensive fabric. I even do this with new patterns. Then you can alter the pattern as needed and your finished piece should be perfect. I really hate cutting into a beautiful piece of fabric unless I'm sure of the outcome.

Keep on sewing!

I always test my patterns on inexpensive, but attractive fabric, so if it works, I have an outfit. I also use the cheap fabric to test instructions. I have several patterns that the person who wrote the directions must have been either drunk, sadistic or both.

Hi:) I also admire all you gals who have the sewing gene...I have never sewn and never will.....

I like clothes though...does that count?:D

I'll be sewing some things. I too often 'test' a pattern on similar fabric (but inexpensive) to the fabric I intend to make the 'real' dress/outfit out of. Easy to make adjustments to the pattern that way. Also, if I end up hating the way it looks on me, it's ok because I haven't invested too much money on the fabric.

JenD

We're not talented enough to sew our clothes, but my mum, grandma and I are knitting and crocheting shawls to go over our shoulders during dinner and other 'chilly times' on the ship. Mum's just teaching me how to crochet, but I think it's so neat to make your own clothes b/c you can choose the color, how it fits, how it looks, etc. I love it!!! Good luck sewing and enjoy your cruises. Oh, btw, I'm 21 years of age (i know my age is sort of confusing from my post, I"m going on a cruise with mum, Grandmum, and my aunt)

I will also be sewing some of my cruise clothes. I'm hoping to make various styles of cropped/capri pants and long drawstring cargo-type skirts and long floral skirts. The most difficult part of dressmaking IMHO is finding the right pattern and fabric, sewing's the easy part!

BTW...My husband will be in Toronto from sunday for a week, does anyone know of any stores there that sell formalwear. They would have to have an online store also because there's no way my husband would be able to figure out how to shop for formal gowns. ( I shudder to think what he would bring back:eek:)

I'll have to post this else where too....

Guess what? As I was going through some of my fabric I found a blouse that I had cut out for another cruise and didn't get around to sewing (the cruise ended up being a little less then a week after Dad passed away). It is a silky type fabric. It is almost a rust color with black jungle stuff on the bottom. It has the spots also up the fabric. I had made a couple of blouses out of the pattern before that one. You know to make sure I liked it. I love the pattern and will be sewing the blouse up. So now I have the dress to make for my daughter and I and the blouse. I found out I have enough of the eggplant fabric to sew a complete formal for me not just the blouse. Woo Hoo.

Jessie it isn't too later to learn to sew. I am teaching my 12 year old to sew now. I have the cutest pattern for her for a skirt. It is the type of skirt that has the knit fabric on the waist band with a drawstring. Then she used a tropical print for the main part of the skirt. The 20 year old daughter loves the skirt too.

I'd love to sew some for the cruise, but I'd for sure plan too much and buy a ton of fabric and never get anything made. Then I'd feel bad about not getting that done PLUS still having to shop and buy clothes for what I didn't make! :eek: So, I'll just start out from where I'll end up and go shopping now. :D I'm one of those sloooooooooow seamstresses. Too many projects, not enough time.

helen, how fun to find a beautiful garment almost complete!

i just got a great box of fabric from a woman on ebay. mainly really high end cotton lycra, and one piece of amazing slinky. the color is called charcoal, but it's really more of a deep, deep plummy purple, just gorgeous.

is slinky an appropriate fabric for caribbean nights on a princess cruise ship?

The other thing that I wanted to add is that I get MOST of my material ;) in the fabric stores on those huge tables that have leftover remnants. They sell for a couple of dollars, and there is really nothing wrong with the material! :p

I also love to sew haven't made anything for myself for a long time. Right now I am making bridemaid dresses for my granddaughter's wedding in October. It is in burgandy satin what a job. Have five to make hopefully I will get them finished. Maybe then I will make something for my cruise through the Panama Canal in April. Oh well I had better get off of cruise critic and get to work.

Delores

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I bought some patterns for purses. I am going to make matching clutches to go with the formals. I bought three hardback quilt books as a yard sale and one has some great bags in there. I thought I would piece and quilt some fabric for the bag. They look great. Wouldn't that be prefect to take into the port to go shopping?

Silky is perfect for a cruise.

I asked (and received) a sewing machine last Christmas but between school and work I haven't had any time to even start sewing. :( I had grand illusions of sewing some outfits for my cruise but we leave in two days and had to store buy my clothes. Ah well. :) Soon school will be over and I'll have more free time. Good luck to all of you who are lucky enough to be sewing your outfits!

helen, i've been thinking about coordinating purses, too! especially when i look at the gorgeous silk dupioni available online!

over at threads magazine's website, they have some free patterns for clutch purses.

Karen I have three different patterns. Then in each pattern there are four to six different styles. I was thinking I might do some beading and embroidery on it too. I need to get started on it so I can do all the hand work.

I am thinking today would be a good day to start some of the sewing.

I'm thinking of making matching evening bags also - just very small for the bare essentials. What a great way to use the scraps!

I made a beautiful chrocheted shawl for my grandmother to wear in airconditioned restrauants when she retired to Florida. It was black with a very open pattern. If I could get around to making one for myself it would be perfect for a cruise and very simple.

I also make jewelry, so last cruise I had earrings to go with some outfits. Next time I'll have more.

Archived