anyone sewing their cruise clothes?

Karen_B

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=darkorchid]In Mazatlan the shopping district has a fabric shop. My sister bought some there last time we were cruising. [/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#9932cc][/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#9932cc]Here is a pic of the dress I made for my daughter.[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#9932cc][/color][/font]

[quote name='lka1012']I have used the Simplicty pattern #5508. They are similar to the ones I saw in St. Thomas. A very easy pattern.

I have eight more weeks and I am busy cutting and sewing.

Melianne, I am a founding member of fabricaholics anonymous. On my last cruise to the Carrib, almost all that I bought was fabric for my next trip.[/QUOTE]
Oh My Gosh. Those are soo cute. Do they "unwrap" and then close as a skirt? Could you wear these in the Dining room on non-formal night (we are doing a 4 night cruise)??

Any other favorite patterns for cruise clothes?? (Please keep to basic names like Simplicity, McCalls, Butterick, etc as I am just a novice.)

Maggie

In St. Thomas, there is a store called Fabric in Motion and it is within the shopping district. Melianne, when will you be there. I am on the Volendam Dec 6-16.

I do not know about Totorla, but am researching. Barbados also is supposed to have some good stores I am planning on seeking out.

As for the wrap-around pants, depending on the fabric used, they could be worn for a non-formal night in the Dining room.

Maggie,
You might also want to check out Kwik Sew - [url]www.kwiksew.com[/url].
Their patterns are expensive and I've never seen them be offered even at the normal half-price at the fabric stores, but for a novice (or even myself whom I consider to be mid-level with not much time on my hands for sewing) the patterns are wonderfully simple to work with. And they're printed on actual paper, not that flimsy tissue paper that rips so easily! Thus, if you find one you like, you can use it multiple times.
Their selection is a bit smaller and I can't always find what I'm looking for, but I always start looking there first!

I just saw your post, which answered my question about buying fabric in St. Thomas. We will be on the Zaandam, December 11-18.

I don't know about Barbados, but we did visit a batik "factory" on St. Kitts (or was it St. Lucia???) and they may sell some of their fabric, although all I remember was clothing made from the fabric.

I'm still making outfits for my cruise. My favorite on-line fabric stores are:
[url="http://www.emmaonesock.com"]www.emmaonesock.com[/url]
[url="http://www.voguefabricsstore.com"]www.voguefabricsstore.com[/url]
[url="http://www.sawyerbrook.com"]www.sawyerbrook.com[/url]

I love patterns by Loes Hinse and The Sewing Workshop. They are wonderful!

Karen,
I am a 5th generation home sewer. I have made prom gowns, halloween costumes, graduation dresses, etc. One of my favorite cruise outfits is a skort with a top. The skort is just a simple black background with greens and some mauve flowers in it. I wear a sleeveless knit green top with it. I like this so much I wore it on our shore excursion to Hawkins Islands while in Bermuda. The colors could be worn year round although the style is summery. I have 2 websites I like a lot for buying fabric online. Imagine that with a JoAnn's less than a mile from home. The one site had the stretch twill I was looking for. E-mail me and I'll give you my favorite fabric sites online. (not sure if my e-mail will show up here). I am gearing up to make my 3 yr. old niece's Christmas gifts, as my daughters are 21 and almost 18.
-Joanne

• 3 weeks later...
Found a great website (free) for all you sewers.

[url="http://www.sew-whats-new.com"]www.sew-whats-new.com[/url]

Has lots of useful info for all sewing levels.

How is everyone doing with the cruise wardrobes? Is anyone doing a lot of sewing for the upcoming holiday season? We are looking at booking another cruise on the Caribbean Princess next September. We were among the lucky ones who received an extra two days onboard courtesy of Hurricane Jeanne. Before starting to sew for that cruise, I need to get serious about ridding myself of some weight - already was overweight prior to the sea air shrinking all my clothes (incl the ones we left at home). Has anyone got any patterns that easily adapt to weight loss. I don't want to buy/sew much right now unless I can easily adjust them as the weight comes off.

Happy stitching!

Debbie
[url="http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSzeb00142CA"][img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_20_1v.gif[/img][/url]

Rickdeb,
Years ago when I was pregnant, I made a wrap around skirt for when I lost the weight afterwards. However, many women aren't skirt or dress wearers anymore. I would say that just wearing clothes that are stretchy might work only because they will hang more as you lose the weight. By the way, I joined Curves in June and I love it. I would have lost weight by now but a cruise can certainly take you off track. Also, for most of October, my mom was sick and I didn't have time to think about food. I muddle through from September to Jan 1st, but I start watching what I eat on Jan. 2nd (too much partying on Dec 31 makes trying anything on Jan 1st impossible). If you make your own clothes, you will know where to take them in, so I hope you are successful in your weight loss.
-Joanne

i'm working on my cruise clothes again. i've sewn up a nice evening cardigan, and i may have enough extra fabric to make a matching shell.

i'm still wrestling with this whole christmas attire on a caribbean cruise. i keep hearing how the dining rooms are cold. just how cold is that? like wear a shawl or cardigan cold? or will 3/4 length sleeved tops or dresses be appropriate?

I have been sewing like a maniac in preparation for my cruise in 2 1/2 weeks. This cruise will have 5 formal nights, so that has been my biggest focus. Since Labor Day I have made a Halloween costume for a nephew, 2 fleece jackets for toddler twins, an oriental style top in a champagne gold brocade with intricate black frog buttons, a long dusty turquoise blue sueded silk skirt (lined), a silk batik formal top to wear with it, a teal green kimono and belt to wear with my long black satin skirt for formal nights or just with black pants on casual night if it's cool, a thermal knit jogging type suit (shorts, pants, jacket), an embroidered black organza over black satin top for formal night, a pair of pants and two pairs of shorts. Whew! I just tonight cut out a sheer metallic blouse in turqoises and yellows overlaying a yellow lined bodice as a second formal top with the long turqoise skirt, and have to finish that and one more top, a black sheer knit with all sorts of metallic colored butterflies and flowers to wear over a black camisole. I have to be DONE with both items a week from now, and then start in on house cleaning and leaf cleanup and packing during my final week at home. I think I will take my sewing machine in for a tune up while I'm gone, as I have sewn quite a bit this year, particularly in the last couple of months. And I LOVE my new serger...it has really helped me with seam finishes on the ravelly fabrics, and it is particularly great on sheer fabrics (one of the reasons I bought it).

• 2 weeks later...
OK ladies, I am finally finished sewing for my cruise. Finished yesterday, and I must thank you all for your inspiration in getting me started/keeping me going. I had only sewn for the house and for little kids for the past several years, but with 5 formal nights on my upcoming cruise, decided to get back into it for ME also. I actually ended up making enough new clothing for six formal nights (so one outfit will be downgraded), in addition to one outfit that I had and still liked from before. So I now have a plethora of choices. I took two classes to learn how to use my serger, and they motivated me the same way. I really didn't know that many of us sewed anymore, and it was fun to find all of you who do! Happy stitching...

I am attempting a long red satin skirt and matching ruched, short sleeve top for our Chrismtas cruise on the Golden. . .hopefully it will turn out well. My mother taught me to sew as a child but don't get much practice. . .I did make my daughter's costumes for Hello Dolly last winter and they really turned out well (a two piece "suit" in the style of the 1880's and other easier costume changes). I kept putting off doing this project thinking my cruise was so far away, but YIKES it's only 36 days away and we are leaving for San Juan 3 days early! Better get going on that tomorrow.

I have been looking for a formal for my cruise in April. :confused: Having a real hard time finding something that i really like. I just got through making 6 bridesmaid and the flower girls dresses for my granddaughters wedding. So now maybe I will start something for my cruise. I haven't sewed for myself for a long time.:(

I wear a large size around 18 or 20. :rolleyes: I would like something that has maybe an empire waist but isn't sleeveless. I am in my middle 60's so can't wear anything that is too young but not old grannie either. :confused: :D I have a cocktail dress that is mid length an it looks nice. But want a new dress also. Would like something maybe blue velvet. Maybe will go look at patterns tomorrow or on the computer. I like butterek and simplicity. Is there another book that I can look at that the patterns are not too complicated . Thanks everyone for your help.:cool:
Delores

delores,
can you get kwiksew patterns? i know hancock's carries them, and various places online sell them as well.

if you go to kwiksew.com, check out patterns 3253, 2473, and 2631. they sound like what you're looking for. kwiksew patterns are well-designed, so they don't necessarily need as much tweeking as simplicity or butterick.

[color=black]I like Vouge the best they have the best directions and they also have very fashionable styles. I would look to see if their are any high end small fabric stores that you could go to get inspiration, stay out of the mass market stores till you know what you want, the specialty stores have unique patterns, helpful trained seamstresses and unique fabrics. Also go try on different RTW dress to see what you like.[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
how are the sewers here doing? i've finished my dinner wraptop, and i'm getting closer to finishing a different style wraptop with coordinating skirt. i've got my stretch velvet cardigan in process (just stalling because i'm nervous about hemming it), and i'm constantly pawing through my stash to make sure i'm finding all that i want for this trip. oh, and i've got a daywear dress close to done.

i still don't have a clear plan for the formal nights, but it will come together; i certainly have enough fabric, i do not need to go shopping!

it's been great getting time in my sewing room!

karen (sitting with a large piece of gorgeous purply grey slinky draped around her)

[color=black]over the long weekend I got the first of what I would really call cruise clothes made. I made a black with stitched white and cream flowers linen like wrap skirt. I almost got a khaki colored jacket finished but didn't have buttons and am finishing a couple purses in matching colors. We are planning a 2 week trip to Europe in Sept and I have decide that I will come up with a black, khaki, white and red weeks worth of a wardrobe and wash everything half way through. [/color]

[color=black]Now my question is how do you handle getting your self made stuff washed on a cruise ship or by some one not you? I don't have labels for the different fabrics and I'm worried they will think my homemade clothes are weird.[/color]

Archived