Public Area Viewing for Alaska - Sapphire Princess

deadzone1003

This summer I will be cruising to Alaska aboard the Sapphire Princess. I have a balcony, portside. What are some of the best areas for public viewing? What are some of the best public areas for taking pictures (this may seem redundant, but using an ultrazoom camera requires an area that is steady as possible, also, I don't wish to shoot through glass either)?

This summer I will be cruising to Alaska aboard the Sapphire Princess. I have a balcony, portside. What are some of the best areas for public viewing? What are some of the best public areas for taking pictures (this may seem redundant, but using an ultrazoom camera requires an area that is steady as possible, also, I don't wish to shoot through glass either)?

If memory servers, there is an observation deck on top of the bridge. Not sure if it is always open, but that would be a good vantage point. I would also recommend a tripod (if you don't have one already).

Just go to the topmost deck and start shooting. Dress rather warmly as it can be cool. When in the bay looking at glaciers the cap't usually swings the ship in a 360 degree circle so everyone inside can have a look without moving. In the bays the ship usually moves slowly and there were no waves when we were in them. There were people in a kayak paddling along right under the glacier toe. Outside the bay you can run into some wave action.

We were on the Diamond this past September, we loved Skywalkers and the deck outside it, we also were in the front of the ship, not sure if it was the promenade deck but it was pretty close to the Glaciers and pretty cold too although we had wonderful weather:D
the promenade deck at the very front has stairs which takes you up to Emerald Deck where you can walk around the front of the ship and then back down stairs the otherside and back on Promenade Deck - we spent an enormous amount of time there for the glacier viewing which was awesome and particularly the first day had very few people! It does get very cold as it is unprotected but just amazing!!!

the promenade deck at the very front has stairs which takes you up to Emerald Deck where you can walk around the front of the ship and then back down stairs the otherside and back on Promenade Deck - we spent an enormous amount of time there for the glacier viewing which was awesome and particularly the first day had very few people! It does get very cold as it is unprotected but just amazing!!!

This was also my favorite place for scenic viewing from the ship. In Glacier Bay we were out here for hours (heading inside occasionally for a while if we got a bit chilly). It is even covered though unprotected in the sense that it can be windy and if it is both raining and windy you could get a bit wet.

Thanks Jane, that is the one I meant, guess you know cause You were there with me:D :D

Thanks Jane, that is the one I meant, guess you know cause You were there with me:D :D

and have the pics to prove it;) but that was a wonderful spot particularly going to the glaciers - once the ship began turning I also enjoyed sitting on our balcony - it was also great to get out the back when the ship had turned and was leaving to see the back of the ships and pools etc with the glaciers behind!!! ahhhh such wonderful memories!

Archived