Soda Cards

canadiangirl77

I can't believe people will spend thousands of dollars on a cruise, and hundreds for shore excursions and complain about a unlimited $40 a week soda card........

That's sort of the point...we DO pay THOUSANDS of dollars for these overpriced cruises so you would think they could toss in the soda! I simply cannot see paying $160 for $5 worth of soda! I will be bringing my own on board for sure! Thumbs up for Disney Cruise Line who not only offers unlimited free soda but welcomes you to bring your own soda, beer, wine, hard alcohol and other spirits on board.

If we do not purchase the spendy soda cards, can we still order an occasional soda in the dining room? If so what is the cost?

Also, just how easy is it to utilize the soda cards and how strictly do they enforce who is using the card? I ask because on RCCL we purchased the cards and it was next to impossible to get a damn soda!! Average wait at the bars was 15 minutes. In the buffet I had to ask over and over for a soda and half the time they never brought one. Then to top it off, I stood in line for a soda for what seemed like an eternity only to watch the guy in front of me get his soda and then turn around and hand his card to his kid...they were using one card and no one even paid any attention. :mad:

Last question: can you bring and use your own refillable mug or with health/sanitation issues (aka the Norovirus) can you not do that?

Thank you in advance for your help.

I don't know of any restaurant or grocery store that offers free soda. Although Walt Disney does, their prices are significantly higher than NCL. Just flash your card and soda will appear soon in the restaurants. I have never had to wait more than a minute for a soda at a fountain. I may have to wait my turn though.

Its nice to be to flash that card at any venue aboard the ship, enjoy a soda, without having to return to my cabin a long walk away everytime I get thirsty.

Most who have complained about the price of this soda card will and have purchased one smoothie for approximately the same price. You choose, a whole week of unlimited soda or one smoothie. And many have purchased more than one smoothie per day. Non-alcoholic too.

Hocus Pocus! The soda card reflects restaurant prices, you won't do better stopping at McDonalds every time you get thirsty for a soda during a one week car trip. While you could avoid the price of soda at McDonalds by going through the car through, McDonalds does not allow its customers to bring inside soda. On a long car trip I look forward to getting out of the car to stretch my legs, and when I buy gas and soda at a service station.

If you don't drink much soda, don't purchase the soda card. You have the same McDonalds choice, buying a 12 pack of soda and refill during the week. Its your choice.

Its like a simple pop card question went into this tyrate about restaurant prices. It seems Don must look down on anyone that wants to save money. But hey we all cant be as wonderful and rich as him. Like Canadiangirl77 said some of us have to save along time and are newly married and dont have money growing on trees like you. It seems you are the only one against people saving money by bringing there own pop on board. NCL doesnt and arent theres or any other cruise lines opinion the only one that matters about it. I just bothers me that you pass judgement on people for wanting to save money. :confused:

Its like a simple pop card question went into this tyrate about restaurant prices. It seems Don must look down on anyone that wants to save money. But hey we all cant be as wonderful and rich as him. Like Canadiangirl77 said some of us have to save along time and are newly married and dont have money growing on trees like you. It seems you are the only one against people saving money by bringing there own pop on board. NCL doesnt and arent theres or any other cruise lines opinion the only one that matters about it. I just bothers me that you pass judgement on people for wanting to save money. :confused:

I can find many other areas that saves much more cash on a cruise than the $40 unlimited soda card, if you are really that interested in saving cash.

Since you are allowed to bring your own sodas aboard all NCL ships, why are so many of you arguing with Don? All Don has stated is that NCL charges for sodas bought aboard the ship, similar to what you would pay at a local fast food restaurant, not what you would pay at your neighborhood grocery store. What is there to argue about that?

Likewise, NCL charges for booze too, with similar prices you will find at your local restaurant-bar, not what you would pay at your neighborhood liquor store.

That's sort of the point...we DO pay THOUSANDS of dollars for these overpriced cruises so you would think they could toss in the soda! I simply cannot see paying $160 for $5 worth of soda! I will be bringing my own on board for sure! Thumbs up for Disney Cruise Line who not only offers unlimited free soda but welcomes you to bring your own soda, beer, wine, hard alcohol and other spirits on board.

I'm not going to disagree with your logic, and we bring soda with us for several reasons (including the fact that I can't drink sugared soda and have a bad reaction to aspartame, so I drink only soda sweetened with Splenda--not that I should have to defend that; DH drinks diet Coke and we bring some of that as well).

However, I have to ask why you cruise if you already consider cruises "overpriced." This is a serious question and not a flame. If I think something is overpriced, I don't buy it, and that includes cruises.

beachchick

beachchick, you raise a good point. Personally, I consider cruising one of the best travel bargains around. Fares are about the same or less than they were 10-15 years ago. Admittedly, there are more extras now that you have to pay for IF you want them, but you do have the choice of not opting to buy them.

...about essentially nothing. Am I the only cruiser who had a couple of teenaged boys who essentially went through barrels of pop on their last cruise? I don't think the price is unreasonable. Two years ago the pop card was less than $30. Now it is up to around $40. I am going on a cruise in April, with all three "kids" (one is 22), and I will be buying two pop cards. If they offered a Corona card, I'd be picking one of those up, too.:)

I just wish they would come up with some sort of economical alcoholic drink card - although I know, judging by the way they ply you with drinks as soon as you assume the position on the choicest pool chair, that probably won't happen, as that is how they make their money on at-sea days.

If I was a serious pop drinker, the card is a bargain. With the selection of inclusive food to choose from, I am more than content to shell out a few bucks for my kids to purchase a pop card. Here's a cost-cutting tip: Don't buy the mineral water. I thought the ship's water was just fine - I would fill up a bottle to go to shore with at the Garden Cafe on the Sun, and I wasn't the only one doing this. Absolutely no after-taste.

Although Walt Disney does, their prices are significantly higher than NCL.

Sorry, NOT TRUE! We are paying FAR more for our 7 night NCL cruise than we do for our 7 night Disney cruises and are getting a worse category AND having to pay for soda AND the tips are $4 more per person/per day on NCL than on Disney. But unfortunately, Disney doesn't go North in the Pacific yet so we will pay more, for less.

However, I have to ask why you cruise if you already consider cruises "overpriced." This is a serious question and not a flame. If I think something is overpriced, I don't buy it, and that includes cruises.

I am primarily referring to the Alaska cruises as being over-priced. The cruiselines know that can charge whaterver they want for them because of supply and demand. Only 4 short months to cruise + lot's of folks that want to see Alaska = charge FAR more than they do for other itineraries. Generally I think cruises are a great vacation for a great price.

Eeyoregon, to be fair, you have to compare apples to apples. You can't compare NCL's Alaska rates to Disney's Caribbean rates. I haven't checked recently, but I was under the impression that NCL's Caribbean fares are significantly lower than Disney's. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I have heard that some of the ports in Alaska are expensive for the ships in comparison to Caribbean ports. I seem to recall the state of Alaska adding extra fees for ships and higher port fees. Now, this is ony what I've heard and remember reading, and we all know how much "I think" is worth.

I agree with johnql that price comparisons need to be for similar itineraries because that does make a huge difference. Plus, there are so many lines and ships cruising the Caribbean that the fierce competition can drive down fares. Every time I've priced Disney against other lines for the Caribbean, Disney is substantially more expensive (for a couple; don't know about families with kids).

beachchick

We are paying FAR more for our 7 night NCL cruise than we do for our 7 night Disney cruises and are getting a worse category . . .

If you are paying more for NCL than Disney, something is wrong!! You need to change TA's.

As far as Alaska being more expensive, we cruised on Princess Dawn and it was very reasonable - $799 p/p and $199 for 3rd and 4th person. This was in the summer of 2005. I doubt it has gone us much.

We are paying FAR more for our 7 night NCL cruise than we do for our 7 night Disney cruises and are getting a worse category . . .

If you are paying more for NCL than Disney, something is wrong!! You need to change TA's.

As far as Alaska being more expensive, we cruised on Princess Dawn and it was very reasonable - $799 p/p and $199 for 3rd and 4th person. This was in the summer of 2005. I doubt it has gone us much.

Hmm, I don't use a travel agent...they still have those, LOL?? I think we are paying the higher price on NCL because a.) it's Alaska b.) we are sailing R/T from Seattle and c.) it's the last week of June (only week I could get time off from work) and that week is the highest priced week of the year with the average cost (4 passengers dividing the cabin total) for a port hole window cabin of $1,000 per person or $4,000 total (Not including tips, excursion, etc.)

I have noticed that most of the Alaska cruises do run higher than Disney but if I want to cruise to Alaska I don't have much choice. I guess what shocked me is that on Disney I can afford a balcony room but NO WAY on the Alaska lines...this single mom can't afford $6,500 to be able to sit on my own verandah...window it is, LOL! The real deal is being able to take this cruise with my 80 year old dad, whom we almost lost last year, and that is truly priceless!

There are fewer ships and fewer ports of call in Alaska. Considering the size of these small American towns they have invested huge amounts of funds to build their docks for the cruise line business.

Demand plus fewer ports and docks means more revenues. That is why Alaska oosts more. Simply put, supply and demand.

And because of the higher revenues, cruise lines reposition ships from the Caribbean to Alaska during the summer season.

Is the price lower for kids as it on RCL?

Yes, it's lower for kids. See below:

Adult Refillable Soda Fountain Cup

* Pricing is subject to change without notice

Prepaid @ $5.75 per day per person x Cruise days

Unlimited Fountain Soda. The entire cruise must be purchased. Non-Refundable.

Includes: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Tonic Water and Soda Water

Kid's Crew™ Refillable Soda Fountain Cup

(12 years of age and under)

* Pricing is subject to change without notice

3-day cruise - $8.00

4- and 5-day cruises - $10.00

7-day cruise - $16.00

10-day cruise - $22.00

14-day cruise - $32.00

I totally agree, well put! :D

The price for drinks reflect restaurant prices, not the price of soda at a grocery store. If I went on a 7 day vacation and ate at McDonalds every day for every meal, I would pay approximately $1.50 per purchase. A $1.50 times 3 meals plus another two drinks from a convenient store at $1.00 each would equal $5.50 cents a day.

If I ate during the week at a better restaurant such as Dennys for every meal, a cup of coffee and a glass of orange juice would be $2.50 for breakfast, $2.00 for both lunch and dinner, or approximately $6.50 per day.

For a unlimited amount of soda $5.75 a day is not unreasonable for restaurant prices. Yes, at many grocery stores you can buy two 12 packs of soda for that price. But NCL iis a restaurant, not a grocery store, providing clean glasses and ice. Grocery stores don't provide clean glasses and ice do they?

And for those who say I overpriced restaurant prices, I have paid more than $2.00 for a soda in a restaurant. If anything, I underpriced restaurant prices for soda. I can't believe people will spend thousands of dollars on a cruise, and hundreds for shore excursions and complain about a unlimited $40 a week soda card........

On my last cruise I purchased the soda card, and then my husband and I both used it. Nobody checked both of our cards when we would order pop, and they didn't check the name on the card if he had mine. I drink a lot of pop, my husband just likes the occasional Sprite. It worked out nicely for us.

Archived