Pinnacle Grill / Amex platinum question

CarlandAndrea

I understand from my Amex TA that we get a complimentary dinner in the Pinnacle Grill on the first night.

I have read some postings that it can be difficult to get reservations for the first night so the free dinner can basically turn out to be worthless because you can't get in.

Is the benefit really only for the first night? And, if so, do we need to get on board as soon as possible (noon or so) and go straight there to make a reservation? Embarkation day is always one of my favorite days and I don't want to ruin it by freaking out running all over the ship making reservations.

Also, we have a Deluxe Suite booked and I think that includes that Neptune Lounge and Concierge benefit. What if we just went to the NL and had the concierge make the reservations?

We are new to HAL and I wuold appreciate advice from the experienced HAL cruisers.

Thanks to everybody.

I have gotten some amazing tips from this board for our 15 or so cruises that have saved me both time and money!!

C&A

I understand from my Amex TA that we get a complimentary dinner in the Pinnacle Grill on the first night.

I have read some postings that it can be difficult to get reservations for the first night so the free dinner can basically turn out to be worthless because you can't get in.

Is the benefit really only for the first night? And, if so, do we need to get on board as soon as possible (noon or so) and go straight there to make a reservation? Embarkation day is always one of my favorite days and I don't want to ruin it by freaking out running all over the ship making reservations.

Also, we have a Deluxe Suite booked and I think that includes that Neptune Lounge and Concierge benefit. What if we just went to the NL and had the concierge make the reservations?

We are new to HAL and I wuold appreciate advice from the experienced HAL cruisers.

Thanks to everybody.

I have gotten some amazing tips from this board for our 15 or so cruises that have saved me both time and money!!

C&A

I believe that in the past the PG was busy on the first night because it was half price, but this was changed last year.

I always email or call Ship Services to make my reservations in advance.

Yes, the Concierge can perform that service but it is quite easy to take care of it now if a particular night and time are important to you.

Not sure about your AMEX perk as we just pay for our dinners in the PG.

Thanks to everybody.

C&A

I believe that in the past the PG was busy on the first night because it was half price, but this was changed last year.

I always email or call Ship Services to make your reservations in advance. As a TA, I do this for my clients.

Yes, the Concierge can perform that service but it is quite easy to take care of it now if a particular night and time are important to you.

Not sure about your AMEX perk as we just pay for our dinners in the PG.

We were on the Noordam in December and also had the Amex Pinnacle Grill "first night only dinner" Both the Grill manager (who I checked with upon early embarkation) and the Neptune Lounge concierge said that they were unfamiliar with the restriction and that the freebie was good for any night. In fact we used it another evening.

Definitely have the concierge make your reservations - we learned this only halfway through the cruise - it's much less time consuming!

Have a great time!

We were on the January 27/07 Noordam cruise and also had the Amex freebie at the Pinnacle. The invitation card does say that it is good for the "first night only" but they don't inforce it. By the time I got around to reading the card it was already the first sea day. So I just picked up the phone dialed the Pinnacle reservation number on the card and asked for a time on the following evening. Before I could even comment about the freebie the gentlemen on the line, mentioned that he can see that we have a complimentary dinner that we have not used yet. I asked him if we could use it for the next evening and he said fine......no problem......you may use it any evening you choose. I guess I could have made the reservation through the concierge in the Neptune Lounge but it seemed easier and quicker to pick up the phone in the cabin and do it myself.

I looked at your profile and see that you are on the Osterdam 04/14. The cruise that I asked this question about is the 04/07 Osterdam.

I am also from Florida and the cruise is for my April b-day.

Small world.

It is even smaller...my birthday is 4/18 and we will be in PV and having dinner at the PG.:)

Have a great cruise!

I looked at your profile and see that you are on the Osterdam 04/14. The cruise that I asked this question about is the 04/07 Osterdam.

I am also from Florida and the cruise is for my April b-day.

Small world.

It is even smaller...my birthday is 4/18 and we will be in PV and having dinner at the PG.:)

Have a great cruise!

We always get the Pinnacle Grill Free AmEx Platinum gift card. We have never tried to use it on the first night as we enjoy going to the dining room to meet our Stewards etc Once or twice we have used it on nights other than the first.

On some ships we were told that we could only use the free dinner on the first night. That was back when the Pinnacle was 1/2 price the first night. We tried to get a reservation -- not successful. So many times we never got to use it. Then recently we were told that we could use it any night -- worked for us.

You seem like my travel twin. Do you know anything about the massage a day package? With a name like Caviargal I just know you are a spagirl too.

But I stay away from from ship spa's. They are contracted out and I hate the sales pitches and have been unimpressed with quality so far.

I have one booked at the Krystal Hotel in PV which was recommended many times on this forum.

It is the American Express Platinum card that you get through AMEX -- yearly fee is around $400. You must pay for the deposit and the entire cruise using this card. You can either book your cruise through AMEX or through a travel agency that pays their yearly fee. We book through AAA which does pay the (I think) $1000 yearly fee for travel agents.

Since we book suites, we also get $300 shipboard credit for each cruise.

Archived