Venice- favorite restaurant recommends?

This will be our third extended stay in Venice this coming April.

We've never had a bad meal in Venice (or anywhere in Italy for that matter!).

But does anyone have a special place they like to dine for casual meals- or more upscale?

Now we already know where the best gelato is- have tested it everywhere and it's the place near the Rialto bridge...yum.

We had a delightful meal one evening at Aqua Pazza, highly recommended from our hotel. The limoncello/meloncello at the end of the meal was a delightful surprise (no charge!)...:p

Acqua Pazza

Tel: +39 041 2770 688

Address: Campo Sant'Angelo, San Marco 3808/10

Notes: Closed Monday

Now we already know where the best gelato is- have tested it everywhere and it's the place near the Rialto bridge...yum.

Petoonya,

We have rented an apartment in Venice this summer for one week post a Med. cruise. So, where exactly is this great gelato place? :)

Nancy,

It's always hard for me to pick favorites in Venice...we usually just wander around and are rarely disappointed (Well, there was one less than adequate place right at the foot of Ponte Guglie, on the side of the canal toward the RR Station)...

But, this last trip, we really enjoyed, for a casual meal, "Alle Zattere"...For the location as much as for the food...

It's on a pier on the Guidecca Canal...with all of the ship traffic passing by...

See the photos here:

http://www.allezattere.com/

and here:

http://www.allezattere.com/illocale.htm

Have fun...

Thanks for all the replies- we love to try different places even tho we have our favorites.

OK...the BEST gelato (even tho it's all good) is actually La Boutique del Gelato. It's actually about 2 blocks away from Campo Santa Maria Formosa- where Calle Paradiso and Salizada San Lio intersect. The only problem is that she closes early. Supposed to be open til 8p- but we've been disappointed to see her close as early as 5p.

The other excellent gelateria that does stay open late when I have HUGE cravings is Michelangelo on the St. Marks side of the Rialto bridge- open til 11p. I've been disappointed by the gelaterias around St. Mark's. Once you taste the primo stuff the rest is disappointing.

;)

Steve, we are staying at La Calcina which is almost smack dab next door to the place you recommend. Thanks!

We will try Acqua Pazza too- thanks everyone!

Thanks for all the replies- we love to try different places even tho we have our favorites.

OK...the BEST gelato (even tho it's all good) is actually La Boutique del Gelato. It's actually about 2 blocks away from Campo Santa Maria Formosa- where Calle Paradiso and Salizada San Lio intersect. The only problem is that she closes early. Supposed to be open til 8p- but we've been disappointed to see her close as early as 5p.

The other excellent gelateria that does stay open late when I have HUGE cravings is Michelangelo on the St. Marks side of the Rialto bridge- open til 11p. I've been disappointed by the gelaterias around St. Mark's. Once you taste the primo stuff the rest is disappointing.

;)

Steve, we are staying at La Calcina which is almost smack dab next door to the place you recommend. Thanks!

We will try Acqua Pazza too- thanks everyone!

Thanks for the scoop on the gelato! :D

I recommened Aqua Pazza and here is my experience...

We were on our ship with 2 other couples, and met up for dinner before each of us went our seperate ways. My husband and I had just a great cruise experience and that went beyond the cruise to the embarkation/deparkation ports (Athens & Venice). I think this was mainly due to all the research I had done prior to leaving (thanks cruise critic!). Our friends did not have such a great experience. They felt "ripped off" all the time, ie. taxi drivers, water taxi's in Venice and the "porters in Venice". By the time we got to this dinner, they were fed up.

So we come to Aqua Pazza, where the MD & servers really speak Italian and a small, tiny bit of English. We asked recommendations, and we were given more than enough food, served almost family style. Our friends felt ripped off, having inadvertantly ordered so much food. My husband and I felt luxuriated (is that a word?), trying so many different things, things had we known what they were in English rather than Italian we probably wouldn't order. Everything was delicious.

By the time the limoncello/meloncello bottles arrived at our table, our friends wouldn't try any, wondering how much THAT would cost. I was in the moment, for heaven's sake I was sitting in Venice eating a wonderful meal! I tried both drinks, and they were wonderful! I especially loved the meloncello and before we departed Venice, I found some to take home. (I'm still savoring it and cannot find it anywhere!:( ) What a delight is was too to find out that there was no cost to the "cello's", they were homemade!

Aaaahhh! I envy you going to Venice!

We have a great recipe for limoncello. I can email it to anyone who posts their email address!

Me too please!

calberry "at" pacbell "dot" net (or go to our website and select website and select Webmaster.)

Thanks,

Steve

This will be our third extended stay in Venice this coming April.

We've never had a bad meal in Venice (or anywhere in Italy for that matter!).

But does anyone have a special place they like to dine for casual meals- or more upscale?

Petoonya,

My favorite restaurant was Restaurante Ponte Meggio, near the Ponte Meggio ( the San Stae vaparetto stop). Casual dining, great food, lots of locals and a good price.

I found the best gelato in Cannaregio across the Bridge near the Ghetto on the right hand side near the fruit and vegie stands. Great !!!

Have FUN !!! :o

15 thick-skinned lemons

Two 750ml bottles 100-proof vodka

4 cups sugar

5 cups water

Choose thick-skinned lemons because they're easier to zest. You'll need

about 15 medium to large fruits. Wash the lemons well with a vegetable

brush and hot water to remove any residue of pesticides or wax. Pat the

lemons dry and remove the zest. A vegetable peeler does the job best:

it gives you long, wide strips of zest with hardly any of the bitter

white pith. If you do get some of the pith with the zest, carefully

scrape it ay with the tip of a knife. Fill the jar with one bottle of

the vodka and, as you remove the zest, add it to the jar.

After combining the vodka and lemon zest, cover the jar and store it at

room temperature in a dark cabinet or cupboard. There's no need to

stir: all you have to do is wait. As the limoncello sits, the vodka

slowly takes on the flavor and rich yellow hue of the lemon zest.

After about forty days, combine the sugar and water in a saucepan,

bring it to a boil, and cook until thickened, about five minutes. Let

the syrup cool before adding it to the limoncello mixture, along with

the other bottle of vodka. Cover and return to the cupboard for another

forty days. Then simply strain the limoncello into bottles and discard

the lemon zest. You can store the bottles in a cupboard, but always

keep one in the freezer so it's icy cold when you're ready to drink it.

Wow, dileep,

I felt drunk after reading the ingredients for Lemoncello. Thank goodness, I still have a half bottle left from my last trip to Italy. I use it in a family fruit compote recipe.

Looking forward to my next trip to Venice in May!

Sheila

Archived