Balcony Question...

mjs125

Hi all. My sister and I are planning for a cruise and she asked me a question which, although in my mind the answer was simple, I had to think about it for a minute. I've never been on a balcony, so I don't know. Do the balconies on the sides of the Vista class ships do get sun at some point during the day (even if we are only talking early in the morning or as the sun is setting)? I know, I know....dumb question :p but had to ask some more experienced cruisers to make sure I was answering her correctly.

Thanks!!

Meg

Hi all. My sister and I are planning for a cruise and she asked me a question which, although in my mind the answer was simple, I had to think about it for a minute. I've never been on a balcony, so I don't know. Do the balconies on the sides of the Vista class ships do get sun at some point during the day (even if we are only talking early in the morning or as the sun is setting)? I know, I know....dumb question :p but had to ask some more experienced cruisers to make sure I was answering her correctly.

Thanks!!

Meg

Yes, we had sun in the morning on the way to the Caribbean; on our return, we had the afternoon sun.

We are almost always port side and don't usually have a lot of sun for very long on the veranda. Often, early in the morning while have breakfast we have sun......but I can't say for sure if it when going south out of FLL or on our way back??

Some cruise loops include quite a bit of east/west travel too, and on those segments you'll either get shade almost all day or sun almost all day! The same is true on port days.

Show your sister this pic as an example of how much sun you might get on an early afternoon:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31973&d=1163375327

Some cruise loops include quite a bit of east/west travel too, and on those segments you'll either get shade almost all day or sun almost all day! The same is true on port days.

Show your sister this pic as an example of how much sun you might get on an early afternoon:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31973&d=1163375327

Perfect!! Thanks for the picture link....again, you have been incredibly helpful! I will definitely pass it on. This is for the Mexican Riveria, which I've already done, but being in an inside I knew nothing about sun on the balconies. We keep going back and forth between HAL and Princess. :D We thought we had it settled and now she's changing her mind again. Oh well...planning is half the fun anyway, right?

Thanks!!!!!!

Meg

Thanks!!

Meg

the Verandah isn't just about the sun. it "extends" your living quarters to the outside. Even at night, the verandah provides wonderful experiences...nothing like sitting there in the dark and all of a sudden seeing another cruise ship on the horizon. Or seeing the sunrise over the ocean or an island. If we want sun, even though we always have a verandah stateroom, we usually go on deck. In fact, we selected an aft deck for our upcoming cruise that DOESN'T get sun! it's the wonderful experiences a verandah provides that's worth the extra $$$$. don't tell anyone :) but I love sleeping out on our verandah...it's like sleeping on deck on a sail boat...you just have to experience it to understand.

enjoy you cruise!

Thanks!!

Meg

the Verandah isn't just about the sun. it "extends" your living quarters to the outside. Even at night, the verandah provides wonderful experiences...nothing like sitting there in the dark and all of a sudden seeing another cruise ship on the horizon. Or seeing the sunrise over the ocean or an island. If we want sun, even though we always have a verandah stateroom, we usually go on deck. In fact, we selected an aft deck for our upcoming cruise that DOESN'T get sun! it's the wonderful experiences a verandah provides that's worth the extra $$$$. don't tell anyone :) but I love sleeping out on our verandah...it's like sleeping on deck on a sail boat...you just have to experience it to understand.

enjoy you cruise!

Just off the Noordam . We were in an even numbered cabin. We had breakfast on the veranda many days and most especially, on the return trip I discovered I could sit out there around 3pm, have quiet, read, watch the ocean go by, and yes, have sun. I usually don't want too much sun, and I was able to pull a chair into the shade too.

On many cruises, I just had an outside room, but on the last Zuiderdam I discovered the veranda and now won't travel without it. What a luxury.

You know, the thing I'm looking forward to most is breakfast on the balcony and being able to sit there and enjoy at night or whenever. The inside cabin was great (perfect size and so on), but we both want to try a balcony this time (well, her first time, only my second). Mamaofami, like you I have this feeling we won't ever want to go without one after this(except to Alaska...might be too cold to enjoy the balcony much!).

Seaisme--we think the same way. I love being up on deck with everyone so I know I'll be getting my sun by the aft pool as much as possible and not on the balcony. I've heard others mention about sleeping on their balconies or even on deck...I might have to try that one night! :D (on the balcony, not on deck! :p ) We will definitely enjoy the cruise!!

Meg

Hey, mjs125 -- First, it was NOT a dumb question and the other CC members gave you all the answers..Some cruise lines (Princess) have verandah's that are half covered and half open which is the best of both worlds.. Either way, you will truly enjoy your balcony.

Hey, mjs125 -- First, it was NOT a dumb question and the other CC members gave you all the answers..Some cruise lines (Princess) have verandah's that are half covered and half open which is the best of both worlds.. Either way, you will truly enjoy your balcony.

Thanks Jimjam! Yes, everyone has been very helpful, but then again I've never been disappointed when I've asked questions on CC! :D Those balconies on Princess are exactly the ones we were looking at for comparison--the BA on the Caribe deck, where the balconies are apparently huge--and debating between them or one of the V category staterooms on HAL. I'm not exactly sure how the cabins actually compare with HAL's verandah staterooms other than HAL's rooms are apparently bigger just by comparing square feet. That square footage though on the website includes the balcony though, right? And yes, I have no doubt in my mind that either way we will enjoy the balcony! :D

Meg

Your right. Holland America cabins are usually a little larger. If your thinking about a BA balcony on Princess CORAL, it is a larger balcony on the Carib Deck but a slightly smaller cabin. The same would be true on Princess Island. You could have a lounge chair brought in. Your going to enjoy a balcony on just about any cruise line and you can't go wrong with Holland America. Enjoy.

Jimjam--the Princess ship we are looking at is the Golden, but I would assume (not sure if I should or not) that the same would be the case for the cabins on the Golden as you mentioned for the Coral and the Island? It's the Golden vs. the Oosterdam, and I LOVED the Oosterdam.....I know I can't go wrong with Holland America, and I have friends that love Princess, so we are not sure what we will end up doing. :o My sister seems to think she would like HAL better, but we've been weighing the pros and cons of both and are looking for that one thing that will tip us one way or the other, and this was one of the questions I wasn't 100% sure about with HAL. I'm just excited regardless!

Meg

Archived