Snorkeling equip-buy or rent?

mary07054

We'll we had the same thoughts and costed it out ..if you rent for more than 3 days worth you have in effect paid for your gear you could of owned....we decided to bite the bullet and bought last year and it costed for mask, fins, snorkel $85.00 each.

[quote name='mary07054']i am wondering the cost to rent snorkel equipment. or is it worth to buy it. i really don't know when i would use it again though. thanks[/QUOTE]

We bought ours. You can pick up a decent set of snorkel for about $30...two rentals will cost you more than that.

Scott

I like to have my own snorkel and mask, even if I do without fins. They take up so much room to pack, but the mask & snorkel and fairly easy to pack.

When you see the tour guides toss the snorkel you just used back into a big barrel of supposedly disinfectant, you'll wish you had your own! And you don't always get a mask that is the perfect fit.

We had the same thoughts! Because we knew we were going to do 3-4 snorkeling "trips" while on the cruise - decided to buy. Found some relaly nice sets at Costco for around $30 each. While most of the excursions "lend" you gear - it is not entirely sanitary....

Did find that we stopped dragging the fins around and used their -but kept the rest of the gear. Stored all the snorkel/wet shoes etc in one bag and used that exclusively for out beahc gear. Hmmm...seems like there already is a thread on how much luggage...:)

Therese

Go try on the really good stuff at local dive shops and then get what you want for 1/2 the price from Ebay or an online dive store like Leisure Pro. It's worth getting something that will make the experience most enjoyable (mask and snorkel).

At Princess Cays, it cost us $40 (2 people) for a 'full day' rental for the full package, i.e. mask, fins, vest, etc. The equipment we had on a trip to St. John was included in the total cost of the excursion. I had checked quickly at Dick's Sporting Goods before we left and I think the prices for a mask, fins and mesh bag were under $40. Don't know if a vest was included in the package.

The 'additional' upfront cost (if any) might be worth it based on the cleanliness factor. Not having seen what went into the bucket at St. John's, I don't know if it was anything other than water ...

Buy your own mask and try it on FIRST by breathing in through your nose and seeing if it suctions to your face. I good fit is essential... a face full of saltwater will ruin your fun!
Also people spit in their masks too keep them from fogging :eek: !!! Most rental places don't sanitize rental masks well...It's just not worth getting sick. You may want to rent fins because they are so bulky but check the fit so you don't end up with blisters! :( Cindy

You really want to have decent equipment if you are going to be in the water for more than a few minutes. Fins that don't fit properly can cause blisters or cramps. You might run into currents that require a little more exertion to get back to the boat, and you might find in such cases that a larger fin suitable for scuba is a real asset. The rental equipment tends toward smaller fins that require a lot more work.

As someone else mentioned, a proper fitting mask makes for a much nicer day. I had to try on several before I found one that fits properly. I've always had leakage issues with rental equipment. Yes, I paid more than $30 for my equipment, but I enjoy my time in the water much more as a result.

We're down in the Caribbean snorkelling at least once a year, frequent enough to own our own equipment. I also sport a mustache, so I need to have a mask with a good seal and use some silicone.

I know they try to sanitize the equipment, but the thought of someone elses "stuff" is unappealing.

Ron

While most people that need glasses just for reading do fine with reg. mask we have to have corrective lenses in ours. This costs much more than $30 but couldn't see without them. I love being in the water and being able to clearly see what that big blur is in front of me. If you buy a set and really enjor your trip wouldn' it be easier to say well we have the stuff allready let's go on another cruise and snorkel some more.
Angie

We bought our own mask and snorkel after our first cruise. We wanted to do some snorkeling on our own during cruise #2 and now after our third cruise we have more than paid for them. Plus the idea of using equipment after someone these days just screams of a virus to me.

One bit of advice...if you don't have a cute little button nose make sure you try on the mask before you buy it. My DH bought my mask as a present and I have been able to use it, but it does get uncomfortable after a while.

Archived