Cruising alone--sort of

webgal318

I am sailing on my birthday, March 18--Eastern on Mariner of the Seas.

My son will be sharing my cabin. He is 18 and I won't see him much.

My father will be in a single inside cabin.

I recently lost my husband to mesothelioma. We were married for 26 years.

This will be my first time sailing without him. Our last cruise was in July 2006. We did the Western Caribbean on the Mariner.

Does anyone have any insight on what the Meet and Mingle is like?

Thanks.

This will be my first time sailing without him. Our last cruise was in July 2006. We did the Western Caribbean on the Mariner.

Thanks.

I'm so sorry to hear that. We will keep you in our prayers, there is nothing worse than losing somebody that close to you :( . Meet and Mingles are fun, it is just a get to gether and have a drink kind of thing. Try it if you haven't before, you can always leave! Its going to be hard, but I feel sure that you will still have a great cruise. Good luck!

<<big hug for you>> I can't imagine what you've been through and hope you enjoy your cruise and your time with your son. I cruised with my son when he was 9-10 and found it was a nice blend of together time and "just for me" time while he was in the kids' activities. Hopefully the two of you will make a few special memories together.

I've been to two Meet & Mingles. They have little hors d'ouvres and something to drink - one of them had alcoholic drinks and the other did not. There's a small gift for everyone who attends. You put your Cruise Critic name on your nametag so the people you've been chatting with on the boards know who you are. Someone from the Cruise Director's staff will get up and give a little speech, and there will probably be a raffle for some door prizes like maybe a RCCL hat or the coveted Aqua Mouse or a bottle of champagne or maybe even dinner for two at Portofino.

I liked it because it was an opportunity to put faces and "real" names on folks I'd been chatting with on the Roll Call. A few of the people I kept running into for the rest of the cruise, which was nice. For someone travelling somewhat alone, it can be a nice way to meet a few people, so please do go to the Roll Call thread here on CC for your cruise, that way you'll start getting to know them ahead of time!

I found a thread for your cruise. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=420701

It runs about 6 pages long (!) so I didn't work my way through it, but I'm quite sure that you'll be able to meet some new friends prior to boarding.

I am deeply saddened over your loss, and I applaud your strength in going on this cruise without your DH.

Tears are in my eyes as I type this, because I know in my heart that there are many, many people on these boards who will say a silent prayer for you over the next few days. You may feel lonely, but you are never truly alone. God bless...

Alan

webgal,

I don't pretend to know how it feels, but I applaud you taking this trip. I shared a cabin with my great-aunt on a family cruise years ago -- her first cruise, and her first time traveling since my great-uncle had passed away. It was very hard for her to travel without him. Sometimes we had tears, but there was a lot of laughter too. After she made that trip with us, she was able travel a lot more with her "widow-lady" friends.

After several cruises, I just got back from my first solo cruise. I took a last-minute cruise and couldn't find anyone to travel with me. I got involved in lots of activities like the trivia contests, name that tune, ... Since they usually encourage people to join up in teams, it's a good chance to meet other people. Even when I wanted to just read a book, I'd find a quiet spot in one of the public areas rather than retreating to my cabin. Craft activities, scrapbooking, ... are other opportunities to interact with people.

Early wishes for a happy birthday cruise,

Karla

Thanks.

Your story not only touched my heart, but is very similar to my Moms. I took her on a Disney cruise Jan of '06, two months after my dad passed from lung cancer, to help her on her way. Well, shes hooked on cruising and we hope to be on the Explorer Oct 7, '07 to Bermuda. Your husband will always be with you and would want you to be happy!!

Thank you for your thoughts, prayers and, in particular, the empathy that you have shown. Yes, I expect tears. They are falling now as I write.

He will be in my heart always. A few weeks before he died, on our 26th annivesary, he gave me a pendant that I wear always. There is an angel on one side and the inscription on the back reads "I will always be at your side."

Take care. . .

Sylvia

Sounds like you are a strong woman and you'll do fine. You have wonderful cruise memories and will be making more memories with your son and father. Wish you were sailing 4/1, you could hang with us. I know my 16 yr old daughter would love to meet your son! We in fact are taking some of my father's ashes ( he died in July) with us to sprinkle in St. Maartan. He just loved cruising with my mom. I expect us both to have many tears. Enjoy this special time with your son and dad!

Definitely go to the "Roll Call" for your sailing. You can chat online with some of the folks on your sailing and start to get to know them. Meet and Mingles are nice--but they are what you make of them! RCI's staff does their best to make it a fun "party" atmosphere.

There are so many really nice folks cruising--you may make some longtime friends on this cruise!

webgal-Just wanted to say that there are so many similarities between you and my sister. She lives in Florida, Bradenton. She lost her husband last March 2, almost a year ago, of mesothelioma. He was a sheet metal worker. They had been married 46 years. No children. Today would have been his 70th birthday. A year ago today I was cooking his favorite foods and hoping to get him to eat. Little did we know that in a week he would be leaving us. I was 7 years old when they married and was their flower girl. I am now 53yrs old. He was in my life a long time and I miss him. My sister is going through such a terrible adjustment period being alone, many miles from the rest of the family here in the Midwest.

My husband and myself are trying to keep her busy planning cruises with us. She is going with us in May to the Pacific Northwest. Again in September to Canada/New England. And, a year from tomorrow we leave for the Panama Canal. I tell her that I will help her spend her money! Ha! I will tell her of your story. I don't know why but it always seems to help to hear that others have gone through it and dealing with life's trials as well. Good luck to you, enjoy your cruise and make new memories with your son.

Wendy

Archived