How do other Bioluminescent Bays compare to the one at Fajardo?

Middleager

We have 2 couples planning to go on Carnival Destiny on Sun. Aug. 26. Maybe another family of 4 (2 adults + 2 kids) will join us. I'm a diver and my wife and friends are snorkelers. I'd like to arrange for us to arrive PR a few days before the cruise trip, to do some diving/snorkeling and enjoying some watersports on a beach.

I've heard there are 3 Bioluminescent Bays in PR. I found some web sites describing the one on Vieques Island, as it is probably the brightest in the world. The other two are at Fajardo, and in the south at Parquera. There is also has a moon calendar showing the days before our cruise trip Aug. 23-26 are not good (moon too bright), and Aug. 21-22 are iffy.

To do a trip to the bio bay on Vieques Island would require staying there at least for that night. So if going there, wonder if it's worth staying longer for more diving/snorkeling. The one at Fajardo is what many cruise excursions take people to, as it's the closest to San Juan port. I've seen some people's post saying the one a Fajardo is pretty good.

Has anyone done the other two bio bays and can give some comparisons?

On the days when the moon is bright, can you still experience anything or is it like any other bay?

I've heard diving is so-so at Fajardo. So if the bio bay at Parquera is good, I'd consider booking us to stay there for a few days.

Your comments/suggestions are appreciated.

This sounds like one of the coolest things ever - I do have a couple of questions/concerns.... Do you have to be in great shape, for all the kayaking? How tough is it to get back into the kayak after swimming with all the cool blue plankton? Are there excursions that let you swim, but don't involve kayaks?

I would also be doing this on a pre-cruise night, as an individual "excursion."

Thanks!

I found the following info comparing the 3 bays:

The 3 Bioluminescent Bays of Puerto Rico: Brilliance is measured by the density of the plankton population:

Mosquito Bay in Vieques has 750,000 plankton per gallon, by far the best viewing conditions and the most pristine experience.

• Las Croabas Lagoon in Fajardo has 400,000 plankton per gallon.

• La Parguera near Guanica has less than 300,000 per gallon, sometimes considerably less.

So the one in Vieques Island is the brightest, whereas Fajardo is a little better than La Parguera. In another forum for divers, someone mentioned the bio bay at La Parguera is a pretty good experience. Although at la Parguera the bay is not for diving as it is 12' of mud and algae bottom. Not sure if the bay at Vieques is suitable for diving.

I'm a diver and would want to do some diving. People mentioned diving is not very good near Fajardo, not bad at Vieques, and excellent at the walls south of La Parguera.

So I'm considering spending a couple of days/nights at Vieques, and also near La Parguera. But would like to hear more comments/suggestions.

As for kayaking, it is not a strenous activity. In fact it is very easy to kayak and you can move a lot faster on a kayak compared to a row boat or canoe. By also wearing a vest, you won't need to worry about sinking. Here's one example of bio bay kayak trips. There are many.

Dont do the Parguera.Its the busiest Of the 3 and have taken most damage during the year, it almost doesnt glow compared to the other 2.Do Fajardo everone tells me Its an experience not to be missed.

Curious if you had done the tour(s) yourself or it's based on what you hear?

I found more info on the bio bays in PR:

The 3 Bioluminescent Bays of Puerto Rico: Brilliance is measured by the density of the plankton population:

Mosquito Bay in Vieques has 750,000 plankton per gallon, by far the best viewing conditions and the most pristine experience.

• Las Croabas Lagoon in Fajardo has 400,000 plankton per gallon.

• La Parguera near Guanica has less than 300,000 per gallon, sometimes considerably less.

From another forum (for divers), the La Parguera Bay experience was pretty good but Vieques Island was brighter.

Here are some companies that offer the tour in Fajardo.

Enchanted Island

Las Tortugas

Island Kayak

Yokahu Tours

All are permitted and you should make sure that they are endorsed by the Tourism of Puerto Rico because there are some companies out there that say they are endorsed but in actually are not.

Interesting. My second post (on February 22nd, 2007, 05:43 PM) to this thread seemed to have disappeared for a few days. It did not show up for several days, including yesterday Feb. 26 afternoon when I decided to put one put in my third post. (That's why some info was repeated) Then both posts showed up now.

Strange.

I suggest you either do Fajardo or Vieques because you can't swim on the bay at Parguera. They take you on a boat and grab a bucket of water that you can put your hand into. That's about it.

Especially if it's a night where the moon's going to be bright I would do Vieques because I have been to Parguera on very bright moon nights and it hasn't been the same as when I've been there on very dark nights.

I've only been to the one in Parguera and I believe it's one of the most amazing experiences I've experienced, so I can't even begin to imagine the one at Vieques. Have fun! :)

Archived