Getting from Marigot to Maho Beach...

Canuck Cruzer

I have a jeep rented while in St. Maarten in a couple of weeks. I was looking at a map of St. Maarten and trying to get an idea of where me might go. After stopping in Marigot, we want to head towards Maho Beach to watch the airplanes in the early afternoon.

There is a big ol' lagoon between Marigot and Maho...which way is best? I'm thinking of following the coast somewhat...to avoid that draw bridge.

Any suggestions for those that have poked around the island?

Also, once at Maho...where is the best place to park? West side or east side of the beach/airport?

I'd do as you appear to be thinking. Head West out of Marigot and follow the Northern and Western edges around Simpson Bay Lagoon.

Note that there is also a bridge just outside of Marigot, as well. Opening times are 8:15AM, 2:30PM and 5:30PM.

Allow a little time to stop and check out Baie Rouge, as you'll be driving right past there.

When you get to Maho, if you don't see 'street' parking available, you can drive into the resort just past the SunSet Beach Bar and use their lot.

If SSBB is too hectic or too expensive, you can walk across to the Driftwood Boat Bar on the other side of the runway.

gary

I'd do as you appear to be thinking. Head West out of Marigot and follow the Northern and Western edges around Simpson Bay Lagoon.

Note that there is also a bridge just outside of Marigot, as well. Opening times are 8:15AM, 2:30PM and 5:30PM.

Allow a little time to stop and check out Baie Rouge, as you'll be driving right past there.

When you get to Maho, if you don't see 'street' parking available, you can drive into the resort just past the SunSet Beach Bar and use their lot.

If SSBB is too hectic or too expensive, you can walk across to the Driftwood Boat Bar on the other side of the runway.

gary

Remember that the bridge openings are island time- not ship time. Yes, definitely check out Baie Rouge- there is good snorkeling to the right by the cliffs and rocks. Sunset Beach Bar has terrific bbq. The traffic in and around Maho can get congested at times with all the resorts there in-season. And believe the warning sign about not standing in the road. Ever see the movie 'Pushing Tin'?

Archived