Countdown!!!

7SeasLover

Yippieeeeee! 30 days from today we leave for South America. Taking the Crown around the cape before she leaves the fleet. Very excited.

Had my surgery Tuesday for the squamous cell carcinoma tumor and all is fine. Unfortunately, I'll be going on this cruise with a garish scar across my forehead, but hey, the cancer's gone!

I'm now entering the exciting part - getting my packing organized. What to take, what to leave, take this... no put it back. We'll hit 80's in Buenos Aires and Santiago, and cold around the horn.

Anyone know the electrical on the Crown? Do I need adapters? I may take one for hour precruise stay in the hotel. Don't want to blow out the place!

Booked our flights and hotel for the Alaska cruise too. that happens 5 weeks after I get back from South America. How'd I do that. Duh. Poor cruise planning... then again maybe it was GREAT cruise planning!!!

Haven't been on lately the surgery kinda pre-occupied my mind - what little of it I have left! :D

The Crown was built for the North American market, there will be no need for a adapter. Use your North American plugs with confidence aboard. However, if you have decided to stay overnight in a hotel before embarkation and/or disembarkation I believe South America does use different plugs. If it is only a day, I would wait until I boarded the ship to use an elecctric razor or hair dryer.

Had my surgery Tuesday for the squamous cell carcinoma tumor and all is fine. Unfortunately, I'll be going on this cruise with a garish scar across my forehead, but hey, the cancer's gone!

:D

Congrats on completing the surgery...good news:)

Just a tip in case you are are not aware...I sailed the Dawn after my squamous cell surgery on my face.

I had to keep the area covered while in the sun.

At first, I would cover it with a band-aid when in the sun but they are a "beast" to keep peeling off of your face.

I started using the "scar-solution" sheets (which I used on the scar each night anyway), you can buy them in any drug store and you can cut them to any size you need. They work great.

You will be surprised how good the scar will look in a few weeks;)

Have a wonderful cruise

Glad the surgery went well! Keep some vitamin e on your wound to lessen the scarring. There are some good gels that you can put on it once its healed to really minimize the scarring. Definately keep it out of the sun and covered.

You're going to love the Crown. She's my favorite ship. She's on the small side, so she FEELS like a real cruise ship.

Have a great cruise, and I can't wait to hear all about your trip when you get back. South America is on the list of places I want to go to.

Who's taking care of the birdies while you're away?

Since my diagnosis of Squamous Cell Carcinoma I've purchased several ExOfficio blouses, some Cancer Foundation approved sunglasses, hats (that cover not only my face, but ears and neck, and gobs and gobs of sunblock! I sure don't want this to come back. (funny--I've never been a sun worshiper) I also bought a UV blocking umbrella. I'm good to go!

I'm so so anxious to sail the Crown. My preference is small ships, so this one will be a real joy. During my recovery I'm busy planning what to pack. So far I've put back about 7 things! I'm going to go light... couple of velour pantsuits, jeans, joggers, and a down jacket for passing the Horn.

Yes, we're staying in the Hilton Buenos Aires before we board, so I'll take an adapter. can't wait!!!!

Hubby is taking care of the parrots. He didn't want to go to SA, so I'm going with my girlfriend again!

Since my diagnosis of Squamous Cell Carcinoma I've purchased several ExOfficio blouses, some Cancer Foundation approved sunglasses, hats (that cover not only my face, but ears and neck, and gobs and gobs of sunblock! I sure don't want this to come back. (funny--I've never been a sun worshiper) I also bought a UV blocking umbrella. I'm good to go!

I'm so so anxious to sail the Crown. My preference is small ships, so this one will be a real joy. During my recovery I'm busy planning what to pack. So far I've put back about 7 things! I'm going to go light... couple of velour pantsuits, jeans, joggers, and a down jacket for passing the Horn.

Yes, we're staying in the Hilton Buenos Aires before we board, so I'll take an adapter. can't wait!!!!

Hubby is taking care of the parrots. He didn't want to go to SA, so I'm going with my girlfriend again!

Have a great trip! I know I did - I sailed on the Crown around Cape Horn (BA to Valpo) back in 2000, before NCL introduced Freestyle cruising, so I'm sure a lot has changed since then. But what hasn't changed is that you'll visit some great ports.

The toughest part is packing because of the incredible range of temps that you'll be encountering. I was there in February and it was 95 at Iguazu Falls (which was unbelievable, done as a pre-cruise excursion), 85 in BA, and 40s around the Cape (not counting the wind chill). Your best bet is to dress in layers, just as you would in Alaska. Definitely take binoculars and a hooded, rainproof, lightweight windbreaker. Oh, yeah, gloves are a must, too.

Are you planning on visiting Punta Tombo? That was one of my all-time favorite excursions. It was great walking in the midst of the penguin colony with hundreds (perhaps thousands) of penguins only feet away.

Layers will be the order of the day and some jeans and tees for the two warmer spots. Not going to Punta Tombo. My girlfriend just had back surgery and is in need of hip surgery and neither of us think she can manage the trip. We picked 6 easy excursions plus two private tours pre and post cruise.

I will be taking binocs. My carry-on is reserved exclusively for camera and computer equipment. There's no room for clothes in my carry-on! heehee The tripod will be checked along with the binocs and clothes.

I'm ready!

Archived