Sabatinis... can someone describe the place?

8mpg

Never been on a cruise much less a Princess cruise. I have been reading some opinions on Sabatinis and some people love it or hate it. All I know its a lot of food and you need a good 2+ hours to eat there... Can someone describe the experience? Food types? Portions?

Never been on a cruise much less a Princess cruise. I have been reading some opinions on Sabatinis and some people love it or hate it. All I know its a lot of food and you need a good 2+ hours to eat there... Can someone describe the experience? Food types? Portions?

I just posted my experiences on another thread...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=9255824#post9255824

I just don't understand why anyone would want to pay extra for a specialty restuarant, when they have already paid for a perfectly fine meal every nite already in the dining room

Why take a cruise when you can row a canoe...? Why have a steak when you can eat a hamburger...? Why get a balcony cabin when you can get an inside cabin...?

Why pay extra for a specialty restaurant? Answer...it's for the experience of an extra special meal in a beautiful space with great service. It is well worth the few extra dollars.

Treat yourself sometime...;)

I just don't understand why anyone would want to pay extra for a specialty restuarant, when they have already paid for a perfectly fine meal every nite already in the dining room

well there only 2 of us so its not a big expense... I just figure a good meal with a ton of courses like Sabatini's would cost close to $200 for us to eat it at home. And its different

Just ate at Sabatini's a few weeks ago on the CB. It was really a great experience. The atmosphere was very nice, and the service was excellent. Its a lot of food, but small portions to try everything. It had THE BEST PIZZA, I go to NYC often where the pizza is heaven, and it was so good as one of the appetizers! Also the seafood soup was to die for...I think its worth the money and experience, no way you would get great food and service for 25.00 pp anywhere else. Enjoy!

Originally Posted by CoNEY46 viewpost.gif I just don't understand why anyone would want to pay extra for a specialty restuarant, when they have already paid for a perfectly fine meal every nite already in the dining room

We have done it simply because we're on vacation ;)

To the OP - here's a link to the menu and photos:

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/cpebmw/album/576460762317734611/photo/294928803155863783/6

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/cpebmw/album/576460762317669148/photo/294928803155237437/31

Having late traditional sitting at a large table with lots of strangers (what I want and asked for) it sounds nice to have a few nights when my hubby and I can have a nice romantic dinner by ourselves. (Buffets don't count). I'm definitely going to do the specialty dinner and the balcony dinner.

Everyday when I'm brown bagging my lunch instead of eating out I think of the money I'm saving to be able to have "extra special" memories of a long awaited trip.

I am going on my first cruise next January - the Golden -Mexican Riviera.

I've been told that Sabatini's is open for lunch on sea days. Is the lunch menu different from the dinner menu? If so, how?

Thanks!!

Ann

We weren't thrilled with the food on the Crown Princess in the dining rooms or buffet and gladly paid $20 for Sabatini's. It was the best meal we had on the ship. I'm sorry I didn't do the steakhouse, too.

We ate at Sabatini's aboard the Diamond Princess last week. Both the food and service were very good, but the service and meals in the dining room were just as good.

Food is very subjective, and although I found it to be perfect for celebrating a special occasion (my husband's birthday) I don't feel the need to to go again on our upcoming cruise to Alaska this July.

We had lobster on a night that lobster wasn't being served in the dining room, but all those appetizers were a bit much for us. I thought the lobster in the dining room was just as good, if not better than what we had at Sabatini's. But it was nice to get lobster twice while on the cruise and like I said, the visit was special!

Sabatini's aboard the Diamond was nice, but I thought Sabatini's aboard the Star Princess was nicer. Service was outstanding to say the least, so if you plan to go, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. We bought a nice $34 bottle of Pinot Nior to enjoy with dinner plus add in an additional tip (which we felt was strongly being encouraged by the head waiter), the cost to dine at Sabatinis does add up. But like I said, it was my husband's birthday and we wanted to celebrate.

Hope this helps.

Suzi

Personally- thought they drug out many small items to make you think you were getting a ;ot.

Ruined the small lobster tails with some awful sauce. Would not go back.:mad:

We did Sabatinis on the Diamond in January. We enjoyed it and felt it was worth the extra money.

My only disappointment was that the decor was sort of like a trattoria and not as elegant as I expected, although that did not detract from our overall satisfaction. Yes, it was white table cloths and white aprons on the staff, but the decor on the walls was less than expected. Not that it was bad...just different.

The staff was very friendly and attentive so the service was excellent. We enjoyed the variety of food and honestly, although the portions were small, we were really not hungry by the time the entree came.

We dined there with another couple we met on the ship. The overall service took about 90 minutes and we continued with coffee and conversation for another 30 minutes.

..>>jack

We did Sabatinis and it was great. The service is impeccable and the food was very good. It was something different and we had heard it would take a long time we just made an evening of it and had great food, drinks and conversation. Definitely worth the extra 20 per person.

My wife and I enjoy taking in the special (pay a small fee) custom dining on each ship we cruise. Last years sailing on Golden was a disapointment. While the food was okay in Goldens 2 restaurants, they were no very special at all from the normal dining at night. We had a great meal on the Rotterdam and 2 years ago we had the best meal and experience ever on believe it or not Carnival's Pride's Davids. This is something that might make me go on the ship again if it changes its destinations.

Bob

I would not do Sabatini's again! A lot of courses sounds nice, but very small portions and they completely ruined the main one- Scallops! They were so tough I could barely cut them and they were chewy and tasted awful! Service was not that great either!

I would not do Sabatini's again! A lot of courses sounds nice, but very small portions and they completely ruined the main one- Scallops! They were so tough I could barely cut them and they were chewy and tasted awful! Service was not that great either!

We had the lobster, but almost identical to our experience.:mad:

I think I saw it earlier o this thread but have not seen an answer...Do they charge for lunch at Sabatini's and is it a special menu or just like lunch from the dining room?

Wow, Im almost embarrassed to admit I never noticed if Sabatinis was open for lunch or not! Wish I could help...but someone out there will have the answer. ..>>jack

IMHO, what Sabatini's lacks in quality, it makes up for in quantity. I realize that food quality is highly subjective, but our two experiences in Sabatini's were identical - lots and lots of rather average Americanized Italian food. But then again, I'm spoiled by Oceania's specialty restaurant "Toscana", which serves genuine gourmet Italian cuisine, at no additional charge.

Mike

Food types: all sorts of Italian (as you can see from an earlier posted menu). Portions: except for the main course, all the items served (and they do serve you just about everything on the menu) are small, one bite size tastes. Its the perfect amount for me, since i tend to overeat and having someone control my portions is wonderful :o . The experience is top notch, again, my opinion. Our trips to Sabi's have had better service than elsewhere on the ship. Our waiters didnt push any extra's like wine or liqueurs. They were attentive and great. We went on one of the formal nights to celebrate our anniversary and loved it. Let us know what you decide and if you go, what your opinion of it is.

Our waiters didnt push any extra's like wine or liqueurs.

We ate at Sabatini's on the Island Princess last August. At the end of the meal, our waiter brought a tray with three liqueur classes of limoncello, which we love (but didn't order). He set the glasses down and made the three of us feel that this was a complimentary offering. Imagine our surprise when we discovered that he had tacked the price of these drinks on our bill! Grrr.....

Mike

Archived