School's out for summer- when?

emdia43

I'm looking at sailing on Dawn from NY to Bahamas/Bermuda- I cruise with teens and want to make sure they have some teen companions- the prices are great on June 3rd and go up a little on June 16th then really go up on June 23rd- so I wondered if that is when area schools get out for summer....

We're coming from Indiana- school is out 23rd May and most areas around here are out on that date or shortly after.

I know that most Long Island school public schools are ending June 22; with graduations that weekend. NY state regent exams are from 6/13 to 6/21, which effects most HS students. Next year the regents are scheduled to end on 6/26/08:(. Last day of school for some will be 6/27/08, with graduations on 6/29 and 6/29. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the responses- I thought that was why I was finding really good prices for the beginning of June.

We usually cruise later but this year for a variety of scheduling reasons we need to go earlier.

I wanted to try NCL and I want the itinerary,but at the moment RCCL has some better prices on Freedom - it's a shame I can't get all the things on my wish list at the price I want!

:D

Thanks for the responses- I thought that was why I was finding really good prices for the beginning of June.

We usually cruise later but this year for a variety of scheduling reasons we need to go earlier.

I wanted to try NCL and I want the itinerary,but at the moment RCCL has some better prices on Freedom - it's a shame I can't get all the things on my wish list at the price I want!

:D

I always say "things always happen for a reason" I know what yours is.

My DH and I just returned from a cruise on NCL. We had a great vacation, but our kids would not have enjoyed NCL. (ages 15, 18, 19.) Take some advice from a parent of teenagers stick with RCCL.;)

I always say "things always happen for a reason" I know what yours is.

My DH and I just returned from a cruise on NCL. We had a great vacation, but our kids would not have enjoyed NCL. (ages 15, 18, 19.) Take some advice from a parent of teenagers stick with RCCL.;)

Isn't that interesting; my granddaughters love NCL (or did when they were teens) they still do but are adults now. I have never had a cliant with teens that didn't enjoy the teen program on NCL. I guess it just depends on the individual. NMnita

I'm looking at sailing on Dawn from NY to Bahamas/Bermuda- I cruise with teens and want to make sure they have some teen companions- the prices are great on June 3rd and go up a little on June 16th then really go up on June 23rd- so I wondered if that is when area schools get out for summer....

We're coming from Indiana- school is out 23rd May and most areas around here are out on that date or shortly after.

I am sure you would find many kids on any cruise that time of year. Even if the schools in NY get out later, much of the country breaks for summer the last week of two of May or the first week of June. The colleges finish finals before Memorial day. I see you are doing RCI instead. I am sure your kids will have a blask regardless of what line you use. NMNita

Thanks,yes they always leave the ship in tears.

They would have a wonderful time no matter the name of the cruiseline because they love sailing and make such good friends from all over the world. The younger boy (14) still goes to teen disco/lounge etc but the older boy (18)thinks that's no longer 'cool'. I just want to make sure it's not ALL older cruisers so that they'll have someone to 'hang' with.

I have a hold on a room on RCCL Freedom but still thinking I may let that go and do the NCL cruise instead as the itinerary appeals to me more.

Have you been on the Dawn?

Thanks,yes they always leave the ship in tears.

They would have a wonderful time no matter the name of the cruiseline because they love sailing and make such good friends from all over the world. The younger boy (14) still goes to teen disco/lounge etc but the older boy (18)thinks that's no longer 'cool'. I just want to make sure it's not ALL older cruisers so that they'll have someone to 'hang' with.

I have a hold on a room on RCCL Freedom but still thinking I may let that go and do the NCL cruise instead as the itinerary appeals to me more.

Have you been on the Dawn?

I haven't done the Dawn, but have the Jewel, her sister. Many have said they actually like the Dawn better. She is the most popular ship (repeat cruisers) of all NCL ships. I understand the 18 year old. Our granddaughter was fine with the teen groups until her last year in high school. Then she just wanted to hang out, but not take part in a group. She always made friends. I do think the age group from 18-21 is a little tough. Maybe it would be a good idea if the cruise lines started offering, at least a first night get together for the pre legal adult group. NMNita

We live in Texas and our kids get out the end of May. We are taking the June 4 cruise on the NCL Pride of Hawaii. I have a 14 yo DS (15 in June) and he'd love some teens to hang out with........that's his favorite part of cruising!!

Just a suggestion:D

You can count on school getting out anywhere between May 23 to June 30, based on when school started (most Southern states start schools in August, while most Norhern schools start after Labor Day in September.

If you are planning on going in June, you can count on seeing teens and children on the ships.

Have a great cruise.

About three years ago I served on a committee that was exploring changing the school calendar for our district. (we were exploring year round, 4 day week, no Spring break, everything) As part of that, we created a listing of school year dates for the US east of the Mississippi. We found that school districts get out as early as the first week of May and as late as June 30. (not counting the year round programs.) The vast majority of districts in the south are out by Memorial Day while the Midwest generally goes to the first part of June (usually out by the 10th). New England area has many schools that go to the end of June.

Of course, here is Ohio, we have many schools that are having to extend their school years this year because of the number of days that they have been closed due to weather. (in our state you are allowed to miss up to five days for "calamity" --weather, power outage, flu; anything over that you have to make up. That is going to push some of our districts to mid June.)

Personally, I like to take my vacation in June because I find vacation areas to be a little less crowded than in July.

We did the Baltic summer of 2005 on RCCL. My outgoing, then 20 year old, had a blast. My quieter,18 year old, was bored. There were very few older teens/20yr olds on the ship. And those we did see stayed around their parents, like my DD did. I'm sure the Baltic itinerary isn't as popular for families with teens either. We put on the suggestion card that the ships need to do something for the 18-20 age group, since there are no "get togethers" planned for them. They really need to include 17 yr olds in that, since their needs are different than the younger teens. I would do the teen clubs to 16 and then have a separate group for the 17-21 yera olds. This year my kids are each bringing a friend to make our vacation more pleasant.

I have found with my family members all over the country that the kids are out of school from mid-May to late June. Good luck with your planning, I'm sure it will all work out.

Archived