Two secrets I thought I would share

Name game

This is the most bizarre thread I've seen.

It's gone from someone trying to post tips, to someone saying "there's already a thread about this," to someone saying "Enough with the tips already - just go and have fun," to someone talking about boats vs. ships, to someone who's anal about "cabin" vs. "room," to folks talking about submarines and life boats - - - jeesh. Let the girl post her tips and stay on topic.

Here's something that annoys me: people who say "just enjoy the trip." Just because I want tips galore, and research every inch of the ship and cruise - doesn't mean I won't enjoy the trip. Yeah I may miss out on some stuff that I had expected - but there will be 100 other things that I didn't expect at all. :rolleyes:

Now back to the tips. I say bring 'em on! :D

This is the most bizarre thread I've seen.

It's gone from someone trying to post tips, to someone saying "there's already a thread about this," to someone saying "Enough with the tips already - just go and have fun," to someone talking about boats vs. ships, to someone who's anal about "cabin" vs. "room," to folks talking about submarines and life boats - - - jeesh. Let the girl post her tips and stay on topic.

To get on another tangent here, how do you know Name game is a girl?

LOL Actually, I assumed it was a girl because of the dog pic. I figured only a chick would post a pet pic as an avitar. But now that I think about it, my brother used his cat as an avitar once. So much for that theory.

(Notice the topic has now changed to whether or not Name Game is a boy or girl.) :eek:

Yst347 - Very good. I had no idea I signed my name in 2005 to a post!

Zipliner1968 - I thought it was either the dog or the mac and cheese that gave it away. By the way, McStinky is a boy.

Back to the original topic of secrets - dogs are NOT allowed on Carnival unless it's a service dog.

I think room is okay, because they talk about the hotel director and make many comparisons to a hotel while on board. plus I'm sure someone who isn't comfortable with that much water would prefer to think that he's on land at a small resort. (I'd hate to be that person. I love the water)

Okay, in a parallel to the boat/ship debate, here is another "pet peeve"of mine. When people call their cabin a room. I don't know why it bothers me so much but it does! :mad: :confused: Even my DH after 20+ cruises, still calls it a room. With all the problems in the world it seems silly, but it honestly ANNOYS me :(

With my English degree and job as a copywriter/editor, some of the spelling and grammar on this site should probably be my "pet peeve." I prefer to cut people a break, enjoy the conversation and what others are saying rather than how they are saying it. Guess it doesn't take much to bug some people.

I usually always order a stuffed potato on the side and often the alternate steak. Instead of the salad, I often just get a sliced tomato.

My understanding was that it's a "ship" if it carries a smaller "boat". The SS Norway was a steam powered ship "SS", and most others are "MV"s, motor vessels.

Traveltart, I think you missed inserting a comma after "saying"? And doesn't the period go after the quotes "peeve". Hey, I'm not trying to be picky but you brought it up first.

Here's a tip. Don't call her a boat. She's a ship. I made that mistake once and was corrected by omigosh so many people. Boats = little. Ships = BIG. Got it?

Thanks for this one, Cindy! It really irritates me to hear people call the SHIP a boat! Don't they know the difference?!

Thanks for this one, Cindy! It really irritates me to hear people call the SHIP a boat! Don't they know the difference?!

The question is do you know the difference? After reading these posts, looking in the dictionary, and spending 8 years in the navy; I am still not sure!

Okay, in a parallel to the boat/ship debate, here is another "pet peeve"of mine. When people call their cabin a room. I don't know why it bothers me so much but it does! :mad: :confused: Even my DH after 20+ cruises, still calls it a room. With all the problems in the world it seems silly, but it honestly ANNOYS me :(

Crusin Karen,

Well this might make you feel a little better; When we stay in hotels now, my boys always ask after check in 'What deck is our cabin on?' :eek: Or they get in the elevator and ask people 'What deck?' so they can push the button. :o

I usually always order a stuffed potato on the side and often the alternate steak. Instead of the salad, I often just get a sliced tomato.

My understanding was that it's a "ship" if it carries a smaller "boat". The SS Norway was a steam powered ship "SS", and most others are "MV"s, motor vessels.

Traveltart, I think you missed inserting a comma after "saying"? And doesn't the period go after the quotes "peeve". Hey, I'm not trying to be picky but you brought it up first.

No a comma doesn't go after "saying"...and grammar and punctuation depends to a certain degree on the style you are using...MLA, AP, Chicago Manual of Style...but enough of that. It was boring in 6th grade and is boring now. My point is that everyone says things differently and to constantly correct people or get upset over the way they say it detracts from the conversation.

Archived