What would your favorite themed cruise be?

Wormy53

Many years ago I went on a Star Trek cruise and absolutely loved it. Getting the opportunity to spend one-on-one time with the people from the original series was a real blast. In fact, just about everyone except Kirk and Spock were there. A couple of the movies had already been released so those actors were on board too. I do remember meeting Kirstie Alley, and years later after she became a big star, remembering that I had played tug of war with her on the ship's private island. My ex-wife and I came in second in the costume contest dressing up in all blue as Andorians. My most vivid memory was playing Wheel of Fortune with the names of the episodes. Some of the passengers were so into the series that they knew the name of the epsiode just by the number of letters, even before the first letter was drawn. Once in a while I still pull out the photos. It was a great trip.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
We are just off the Constellation. Our cruise was a nude charter. Would you consider that a theme? It was great.

How does that work? Are you required/expected to be nude or is nudity just tolerated? And is it all times everywhere on the ship?

I read an article in the NYTimes about "nacations," but I haven't been able to convince my friends to check it out.

Most of the best nudist areas like the pool and disco are " no photo zones" as some people are still in "the closet". I do have a great picture of myself playing the slot machines nude. Where else can you do this.

I love Oldies music so I decided to put together Oldies Cruises. This year our cruise will be on Royal Caribbean's LIBERTY OF THE SEAS on October 3, 2010. It departs out of Miami and is a 7-Night cruise. The music acts will be Larry Chance & The Earls, Emil Stucchio & The Classics and The Mystics. I cannot wait to go.

• 1 month later...
I am going on a Liberty of the Seas cruise on October 3, 2010 where Adbacadabra, an ABBA tribute band will be performing. I have a Meet & Greet scheduled with the band after the performance. I am so excited!

They should do "mama mia" while they are at it!! Have fun!

• 2 months later...
Another idea: A book themed cruise (could choose a genre such as mysteries or something historical, etc., etc.)

I love this idea and I was just thinking about this the other day. I'm reading a wonderful series called Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. It would be so much fun to be on a ship with other Outlander fans and visit places from the books! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Wish we had known about that one. Went on Celebrity Solstice on October 3. How was it? Any more coming up? Would love an oldies cruise.

I love Oldies music so I decided to put together Oldies Cruises. This year our cruise will be on Royal Caribbean's LIBERTY OF THE SEAS on October 3, 2010. It departs out of Miami and is a 7-Night cruise. The music acts will be Larry Chance & The Earls, Emil Stucchio & The Classics and The Mystics. I cannot wait to go.

I just came across this thread - I love theme cruises. There are tons out there, some full ship charters and some small groups. I put together a small group (about 30) for a wellness cruise a couple of years ago. I've got space to Alaska for a wine appreciation cruise called Grapes & Glaciers for May 2011which I'm excited about.

I know of a company that does Murder Mystery cruises, as well as several that do music themed cruises - jazz, blues, oldies, etc. I haven't done the Murder Mystery cruise yet, but it's high on my list.

What a fun thread!

• 2 months later...
I am a huge Simpsons fan, and I would LOVE to do a Simpsons cruise. It would be a big group of Simpsons fans, some of the Simpsons voices (Yeardley Smith, Dan Castellaneta, etc), special Simpsons events like trivia contests, parties, and episode screenings.

Great idea, but I would rather do a Family Guy cruise (would love to pick Seth MacFarlane's brain and have Alex Borstein make Lois talk dirty to me!) or Phineas and Ferb.

EJKorvette on the boards

Titanic-era in costume, with orchestras. Bathing suits must be period appropriate! ;)

I bet you could find one that sails in April of next year!

The Gay '90s would be great also if the ship would serve period appropriate foods and drinks, have entertainment from back then, etc.

EJKorvette on the boards

And I'll probably get my ars flamed for this one but having lived through and survived the "Swinging years" (and I don't mean the Big Band era), I would love a senior "adult themed" cruise :eek:(very, very discret in public).

I won't hold my breath for the latter one.:D

Complete with key parties and leisure suits?

EJKorvette on the boards

I can think of two possibilities:

1. Radio talk show (If some better known talk show hosts could make it). I bet this kind of cruise with Rush Limbaugh would fetch top dollar and would sell out pretty quickly! If not Rush, maybe Michael Savage, Glenn Beck, Jason Lewis, some local names, etc.

2. DH expressed interest in a cigar aficionado cruise. Maybe Cigar Dave and his harem could be along for this one!

That would be great! Get Cigar Dave (and Todd Schnitt) to drive over from Tampa, and Rush is here already.

EJKorvette on the boards

@Texas Wine Diva: There are several winemaker & culinary cruises out there with lots of free wine events if you book into the group (most are limited to 100 people). Here's a partial list I found:

Celebrity Solstice 6/7/11: Wente Vineyards Wine Cruise hosted by Eric Wente

Celebrity Solstice 7/1/11: PerryMoore Wine Cruise hosted by Kian Travcoli

Celebrity Solstice 7/13/11: Grgich Hills Estates Wine Cruise hosted by Maryanne Wedner

Celebrity Solstice 7/25/11: Touring & Tasting Magazine Wine Cruise

Celebrity Solstice 8/6/11: Caymus Vineyards Wine Cruise hosted by Chuck Wagner

Celebrity Solstice 9/29/11: Chateau Ste Michelle Culinary Wine Cruise with John Sarich

Celebrity Silhouette 10/22/11: Food Network Cruise with Anne Burrell

Celebrity Eclipse 11/13/11: Legendary World Wine Cruise

Celebrity Eclipse 12/3/11: Justin Vineyards / Cystic Fibrosis Benefit Cruise with Justin Baldwin

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The one theme cruise my friends, family and I have been looking for now for some time is a Jimmy Buffett theme cruise. Would be great to hit three ports which have Margaritavilles (Start off in New Orleans, then hit Key West, Grand Turk, and (ugg!) Jamaica - parties at the Margaritavilles along the way. Or better yet, a stop on a private island with a JB concert on the beach. If fuel allowed, hit Cozumel instead of Jamaica. No formal nights - substitute in Hawaii shirts and shorts. Any variation there of would be great - anyone see anything for 2012 or beyond?

• 2 weeks later...

I went on a few Scrapbook Cruises with Croptopia Getaways and they were WONDERFUL! We went to Bermuda and cropped while the ship was at sea... they offered projects that you worked on taught by guest instructors. In port you could take excursions and do your own thing... the best of both worlds, plus we got extra perks (cocktail party, ship credits to spend...). In October CG is going on a week cruise to the Caribbean - wish I was going on that one!!

Archived