What's Up With NCL Star Missing Ports?

mousey

Does anyone know why the Star is skipping Acapulco and Ixtapa ports? I've read on some recent reviews that the ship is having engine probems. Does anyone know the real story? Someone on the board said that those two ports are going to be off the itenerary for a long while. We sail on the Star 4/7 where will be be stopping? Does anyone know?:confused: :( :)

Does anyone know why the Star is skipping Acapulco and Ixtapa ports? I've read on some recent reviews that the ship is having engine probems. Does anyone know the real story? Someone on the board said that those two ports are going to be off the itenerary for a long while. We sail on the Star 4/7 where will be be stopping? Does anyone know?:confused: :( :)

Nope, nobody knows for sure but there's lots of us waiting to hear what the problem is. I just hope the Star doesn't need drydock to get it fixed or some of us are going to be mighty disappointed. I could care less where we go as long as we cruise.

That is the real story and how long this will continue is anyone's guess. When there is pod problems it is a no win situation. They can cancel ports and have everyone pissed or cancel a cruise for a week and have everyone pissed as well. I am glad I don't have to make the decision. NMNIta

I don't mind on this cruise changing ports. But, it would be very disappointing to my family, especially my DS, since this is his spring break and his choice was to go on a cruise. I hope they don't cancel our 4/7 cruise! :(

Mousey, it's definitely engine issues that are causing the changed itineraries; the reduced speeds means the ship can't make it to Acapulco...it's too far.

I've read on another thread that the revised itineraries were supposed to be in place for ALL of the Mexican Riviera cruises prior to the Alaska sailings for the Star.

Although that is NOT announced officially, it is entirely possible. I'm going to see if I can find out from NCL directly, although they are not usually the most forthcoming cruise line with information. :rolleyes:

I would just like to be able to plan ahead for the port stops. I don't think at this time that we are in danger of cancellation on 4/7, but that's just my speculation.

That is the real story and how long this will continue is anyone's guess. When there is pod problems it is a no win situation. They can cancel ports and have everyone pissed or cancel a cruise for a week and have everyone pissed as well. I am glad I don't have to make the decision. NMNIta

You're right in that it's a no-win situation here for everyone including NCL. For us, we booked this to see Acapulco and Zihua as we have done the 7 night itinerary and seen Vallarta Mazatlan and Cabo.

However, since we took an upsell to an AC, we just want to cruise:D Besides, used Airmiles for our flights and are non-cancellable:( . See how situations change? We will just have to wait to hear from NCL. Sort of like the upsells, "don't call us we'll call you":rolleyes:

Someone on another thread said that an TA from NCL had told him/her that the when the Star arrived in Long Beach on 3/14 that she would be getting a new part and would not be sailing again until 3/22. Now, unless I'm wrong, doesn't the Star sail out of San Pedro and leaves and returns on Saturdays? That is what our schedule is anyway. I asked for clarification from the person that gave the information so I'll keep you posted as to what response I get. I don't want to panic until I know the truth! :confused: :) Has anyone heard anything about this or have any other info? Just to let some of you know there is another thread on this board regarding this matter so check both posts to see what's up!;)

Mousey, as I said on the other thread, I couldn't get anyone at NCL to confirm that the 3/14 sailing has been canceled...that doesn't mean it WON'T be, though.

As also stated, the Star sails EIGHT NIGHT sailings, not seven...so the embarkation day changes each week. On our cruise we embark on a Saturday and return on a SUNDAY. If you are flying you'd better be sure you have your flights for the correct day. :)

Ella 2, thanks for the heads up! I got so confused about the sail dates. I have so much on my mind lately. :confused: Anyway, I can hardly wait to sail. I live in LA so thank goodness I don't have to spend time at the airport!:D What time are you planning to get to San Pedro to check in? Would you suggest going early or waiting till the last minute? :p

This is our second cruise to the mexican riviera on the NCL Star. We book last year for a March cruise and knew ahead of time that the ports were changed because of engine problems. This time we got to the pier at 1:00 passengers were still leaving the ship and we were told that the boarding would be delayed because the ship got back into port late. It was a mess at the pier with no one from NCL telling us where to line up, difficult finding porters to take luggage, and lots of people upset at not knowing what was happening. The line to board finally started moving at about 1:30 and we got on board at around 3:00. Just prior to walking onto the shp we were given a paper stating that the itinerary was changed and each passenger would be given $50 shipboard credit for a total of $100 per stateroom. The letter also said that we could cancel our cruise and receive our money paid for this cruise would be credit for another cruise that had to be used by the end of this year. Had I wanted to cancel, it would have been very difficult as our luggage was already on board and did not arrive at our cabin until after 6. The cruise itself was great once we got on board.

As I posted in my thread above, just got off the ship this morning, and we were told the next cruise would be the same with the M-ports instead of Acapulco and Ixtapa. Another poster reported the same until further notice.

Out cabin boy told us that there were plenty of passengers who got off the ship when the itinerary change was announced, and they had to retrieve their luggage, which is why we left late.

Like you, the boarding was a pretty big mess, with rumors of these cancellations going on before you checked your luggage - to which NCL personnel told us were just rumors. Then like you said once inside, you got the notice that it was true. I don't really think it was deception on NCL's part, just lack of information sharing. And as they said, you could still turn around with no penalty. But who is going to fly into LA, and turn around and go home at that point? I'm sure those who did were drive-in locals.

Archived