Summit - Starboard Cabin

sulanski

My husband and I just booked our cruise on the Summit with a starboard balcony cabin, as that is all they had available at such a late booking, We are taking the southbound cruise from Seward to Vancouver. I am a little concerned that we will not have a good view. Can someone please let me know if that is the case, or we will have some good views.

Thanks!

We were on Vision of the Seas - southbound from Seward to Vancouver in early July. You will see incredible scenery on the starboard side - in addition we saw whales from our balcony. I too had worried but the views were awesome.

Have a wonderful cruise!!

We just did the Southbound Summit on July 9...in Sky Suites 6122 and 6124...

I hate to sound negative...because the cruise was otherwise great...BUT, the balcony and view were wasted...

First of all, you only have two "at sea" days...

The first was "Cruising Hubbard Glacier"...and the ship DOES turn around right in front of the glacier so you get a great view from both sides...But my wife did not want to spend half the time on the wrong side, so, despite having the great balconies, we went up to the heliport at the very front of the ship for the entire experience...

The second at Sea day was "cruising the Inside Passage" on the day before arriving in Vancouver... On our cruise, the ship had some engine problems in Ketchikan and did not get out of Ketchikan until early the next morning...With the ship behind schedule, we did not get to the narrow part of the passage (where the Starboard should have some views) until dark...

As you can imagine, we barely used our balconies...and this was after upgrading our cabins from Cat 4 (including the oversized 7003)...probably should have stayed there and saved the several thousand dollars!!!

My first Alaskan cruise - we had a Jr Suite on the Radiance. It rained a lot and visiability was very little - we rarely used the balcony. The day we were at Hubbard glacier (only Glacier day) - we didn't even get close enough to see it since there was so much ice in the water (I think we were several miles away from it). So the next 2 cruises, I went with cheap cabins. My last Alaskan cruise - I had a balcony and I loved it! The weather was perfect and it was so nice to sit out there - I used it all the time. We also had (2) days at Glaciers on my last cruise (Glacier Bay and College Fiords).

So I had a good balcony and a bad balcony experience.

Hello, we are also on the Summit on 9/3 along with another couple...There's a group of us chatting on the Cruise Critic Roll Call Board...Go there and join us for the CC party that we will be having on board...all you need to do is sign up on CC Roll call board....Welcome! Charma from WV

We did the July 16 northbound Summit sailing with a CC cabin on the starboard side. The weather was great and we used our balcony several times every day. From having breakfast on it to looking at ports while arriving. It really doesn't matter too much in the Inside Passage whether you are on port or starboard, the view is good from both sides. And when viewing the glaciers, the ship turns completely around several times for good coverage. We went up to the top deck to view the glaciers - where they served hot chocolate - and the view was magnificent. The Captain was able to get close in to the glaciers so we could hear the thundering sounds as ice broke away and floated out to sea.

Also, several ports have docking on the port side, so you would be able to see the approaching docking very well.

I think you will be pleased with Summit and don't worry about which side you're on since booking is late and limited. You'll love the cruise and you'll love Alaska.

Archived