Want best chance of seeing McKinley

Roxilla

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and read a posting that I can't find again. Maybe you can help. I am sailing from Vancouver to Whittier then taking the rail to Anchorage to pick up an RV for a week. We plan to travel about the Anchorage area and up to Denali and McKinley. We will have time to camp nearby for a few days in order to see the mountain in the morning and evening since that seems to be the best time. Can you advise me on the best campground nearby and your best advice on seeing the mountain?

I am cancelling a Princess tour to do the RV trip and I want to make it great!

There are three good places to see the Mountain. One is from the shuttle bus inside the park. The second is just before Savage River inside the park (see photo). You can drive your RV there, but be mindful of buses and other traffic when you pull over. The third is along the Parks Highway north of Talkeetna. There's a pull off there that's popular with photographers. You don't say what time of year you're coming, but remember from May - July, late evening is around 2am and early morning around 4am.

Picture1.jpg.6d0f8820afaacb6ff4bba2d4ffa8d90e.jpg

We took these photos just south of Cantwell, around 8am on the morning we left DNP. The day we arrived was very overcast and misty, the following day we took the shuttle into the park was the same. That next morning was clear and beautiful. I wish we'd've left an hour earlier and likely would'd've had less cloud build up than what we saw even. As we traveled South, watching the mountain, we could literally see the clouds gather 'round the mountain.

Click to enlarge.

64x64%20shrink145.jpg

The best view (so we're told!) on a clear day via Fish Creek shuttle.

64x64%20shrink160.jpg

Near Cantwell, leaving south of DNP.

64x64%20shrink161.jpg

Near Cantwell, south of DNP.

64x64%20shrink165.jpg

The pull-off Wolfie is likely speaking of - sign and mountain photo.

64x64%20shrink167.jpg

Photo-op at the same pull-off.

We stayed in the Riley Creek campground. We traveled with friends, and left before they did (planning to meet up in Wasilla) because I wanted to see the mountain and they weren't quite ready. We headed on south, and when they were ready, someone told them to go back into the Park near Savage River as Wolfie indicated to see the mountain. We both got great views, just different perspectives. After comparing photos, I'm happy with our choice, BUT, my camera has a little more zoom than theirs, so the actual view is likely just as good. Zooming made my photos not quite as sharp, however. Or I just haven't figure out the doggone thing!

Flightseeing is your best chance of seeing McKinley. :)

Around Mile 130 on the Parks is fantastic viewing, as well as Talkeetna. So I would camp in those areas, if you have the time. Beyer's Lake State Park is a short drive away.

But it's a gamble. I've been lucky to see it several times, but a very low percentage of my total available time in Alaska. Last trip, out of 12 days interior travel, McKinley was viewable once. :)

The link below takes you to info about Byers Lake campground and memorial. If you scroll down, you can see a picture of Mt. McKinley (as you can see it from the entrance to the memeorial) with the top shrouded in clouds. The top of McKinley has it's own weather. Today is a beautiful clear day, and although I could see Mt. Foraker (near McKinley) from many points in my drive from Anchorage to Wasilla, the top of McKinley was not visible. However, it can clear up (or cloud up) in minutes, so you never want to pass up a look in its direction.

http://www.ak-prepared.com/vetaffairs/byerslake.htm

I really appreciate all the info. I am on the Northbound July 2nd sailing of the Coral Princess and will be heading into Denali sometime the week after I sail. Is any day of the week better than any other day with regards to crowds?

Also, what advice might you have regarding taking the train from Whittier to Anchorage?:p

They keep a calendar in the ranger station where they track each day the mountain is visible. We were super lucky when we took our tour. When we left the visitor center in the morning, they said the mountain probably wouldn't be viewable that day, but by the time we got there it was a beautiful sight! In the 30 days preceding our visit (mid-summer), the mountain was only visible 2 days.

So consider yourself very lucky if you get to see it!

Thanks Mytimes! Do you know if there's any kind of view from the campsites there?

Nope, no view, the campground is "low" ground. But you can hike up to the Parks Highway, and the Vets. Mem. for a look. Take along an empty soda can with some rocks in it. Beyers Lake has a long standing brown sow, that sometimes "owns the place". :)

I really appreciate all the info. I am on the Northbound July 2nd sailing of the Coral Princess and will be heading into Denali sometime the week after I sail. Is any day of the week better than any other day with regards to crowds?

Also, what advice might you have regarding taking the train from Whittier to Anchorage?:p

Nope. But crowds aren't an issue here. Stay away from Glitter Gulch and you can be solitary. :)

Advice for the train??? There is no advantage to paying for the costly cruise contracted train, the bus and train have the EXACT same scenery. If you take the regular run of the Alaska RR leaving at 6pm- use your time for an excellent PWS glacier boat tour. There is nothing else in Whittier that would warrent you spending all day there otherwise.

Nope. But crowds aren't an issue here. Stay away from Glitter Gulch and you can be solitary. :)

Advice for the train??? There is no advantage to paying for the costly cruise contracted train, the bus and train have the EXACT same scenery. If you take the regular run of the Alaska RR leaving at 6pm- use your time for an excellent PWS glacier boat tour. There is nothing else in Whittier that would warrent you spending all day there otherwise.

Since I am picking up an RV during the day in Anchorage the day we disembark, the Alaske railroad says we have to take the cruise contract. We have to be in Anchorage in time to get the RV. I guess there's no other good option if we really want to take the train?

Since I am picking up an RV during the day in Anchorage the day we disembark, the Alaske railroad says we have to take the cruise contract. We have to be in Anchorage in time to get the RV. I guess there's no other good option if we really want to take the train?

Aren't you talking about the cruise contracted train??? The regular run doesn't get to Anchorage until after 6pm- downtown.

Frankly- I wouldn't pay the cruiseline supplement they charge just to ride the train from Whittier to Anchorage. I'd take the Princess bus, at the least you can sit on the driver's side and have the scenic views. Seats are assigned on the train. I am assuming you are picking up the RV near the airport??

Correct, you have no option but to take the cruise contracted rail if you want the train. I highly suggest, you allow time to drive the Arm, again, superior to the train for the ability to stop along the way. :)

Aren't you talking about the cruise contracted train??? The regular run doesn't get to Anchorage until after 6pm- downtown.

Frankly- I wouldn't pay the cruiseline supplement they charge just to ride the train from Whittier to Anchorage. I'd take the Princess bus, at the least you can sit on the driver's side and have the scenic views. Seats are assigned on the train. I am assuming you are picking up the RV near the airport??

Correct, you have no option but to take the cruise contracted rail if you want the train. I highly suggest, you allow time to drive the Arm, again, superior to the train for the ability to stop along the way. :)

Thanks, I had thought that we might want to go back down with the RV to see things better. You are also right that the reason we were going to go ahead and pay the premium on the cruise contracted rail was because we really wanted to do at least a part of our travel by rail. The RV company will pick us up at the airport if we can get there from the train station in Anchorage or we can take a taxi. But either way, we have to be there before 6pm. We want to have time to go get groceries and then "hang out' around Anchorage the first evening.

4 out of 365 is gross exaggeration. Although you can't count on seeing it in a couple of weeks, other times you can go for days seeing it every day. This week it has been spectacular (in fact, it's sunset on the live cam right now, and although the base is clouded, the summit is clear). We have a cabin high on a bluff on the Yentna River, and one reason I fell in love with the cabin is that I can sit at the window sipping my morning coffee and see Denali (officially, it's Mt. McKinley, but you won't often hear it called that here--it's either Denali or The Mountain) and Foraker to the left of it. And the first Sunday in March, the Iditarod mushers go right by on the river below us.

One clear fall day I was driving home from Fairbanks. Not only was the mountain out in all it's glory, but all the alpine vegetation was in its fall colors (mostly red), and a full moon was visible over the shoulder of Denali. At one point on the highway, all that was perfectly reflected in a pond. Every vehicle that passed by was stopping to take pictures, or at least to drink in the sight. Truly awesome.

I agree that 4 out of 365 is overly exaggerated. I totally agree with mytime53.

The best chance to see Mt. McKinley? Stay there long enough. It will eventually become visible but you never know when or for how long. One time we saw it on our drive to Eielson and at Eielson but by the time we got to Wonder Lake, not again and I stayed at Wonder Lake a couple of nights.

Last year, we were very fortunate and saw it parts of each of three consecutive days. For those who go to Denali for 1 day (2 nights) your chances are greatly reduced, just by the nature of the odds.

I am so jealous! I hope we will see it but even if we don't, we will have had a great time and will have seen lots of wonderfully awesome scenery.

However, I now know not to expect to see it necessarily~

It has been spectacular this week at times, even from here in Anchorage. I have seen it from my neighborhood and also on both the Minnesota Bypass and the Seward Highway. But, there are certainly days it is just unavailable.

4 out of 365 is gross exaggeration. Although you can't count on seeing it in a couple of weeks, other times you can go for days seeing it every day. This week it has been spectacular (in fact, it's sunset on the live cam right now, and although the base is clouded, the summit is clear). We have a cabin high on a bluff on the Yentna River, and one reason I fell in love with the cabin is that I can sit at the window sipping my morning coffee and see Denali (officially, it's Mt. McKinley, but you won't often hear it called that here--it's either Denali or The Mountain) and Foraker to the left of it. And the first Sunday in March, the Iditarod mushers go right by on the river below us.

One clear fall day I was driving home from Fairbanks. Not only was the mountain out in all it's glory, but all the alpine vegetation was in its fall colors (mostly red), and a full moon was visible over the shoulder of Denali. At one point on the highway, all that was perfectly reflected in a pond. Every vehicle that passed by was stopping to take pictures, or at least to drink in the sight. Truly awesome.

Thanks for the wonderful description of your view! It reminds me why my daughter is counting the days till she leaves for Alaska! Last year was her first season working as a server on the Princess trains. Her very favorite time of the season was in September when the tundra was ablaze with color! Her pictures are amazing! I can't even imagine the beauty you experienced with the colors/full moon/reflection in the pond with Denali OUT! If by chance you had your camara with you, please share! We're so wanting to make the trip in September, but between a new grand-baby and vacation time restraints, our trip may not happen.

Again, thanks for sharing!

Archived