International purchases: Capital One IS no fee

pcur

Gosh, Burbunny, I haven't seen you around these boards in ages. Hope you are well!:)

I'm great, thanks! Just don't have much time for the boards in general, unfortunately, but busy is good, right?

Regarding ATMs in Italy, I've never experienced a fee from them, though my home banks charged a currency conversion fee (both at 1%, no additional surcharge).

I'm great, thanks! Just don't have much time for the boards in general, unfortunately, but busy is good, right?

Regarding ATMs in Italy, I've never experienced a fee from them, though my home banks charged a currency conversion fee (both at 1%, no additional surcharge).

That's good to hear, BurBunny! Hope we have the same good fortune.

I just checked my first Cap One statement online. What I like is they give you the exchange rate right in the transaction description line. The rates look spot-on to what they should be, too.

Over the past month I have charged several items (hotels, train tickets) to my Capital One card, and the exchange rate (British Pounds to Dollars) has consistently been $1.99-$2.00. I think this is very close to the official exchange rate.

• 2 months later...

CapitalOne like other VisaCard issuers uses Visa International to convert currency. Visa uses the interbank rate and charges banks 1% for that service.

The big difference between CapitalOne and most other issuers, is that they don't even pass on the 1% conversion fee.

Your CapOne statement shows the conversion rate used.

Archived