June and Sept. weather in the Med

We are thinking of a cruise from Athens to Rome either the first week of June or the first week of September. Does anyone know how hot it is and how crowded. We usually travel in May or October. Thanks for any information.

Joan

I agree with Pcur, September is a great month. It's still warm but not hot. We did a Med cruise 9/05. We are going this September again, because we like that time period so much. The only other suggestion I have, is to maybe consider going more toward the end of September to avoid the Summer crowds.

This past September we did a Med cruise on the Grand Princess. For the most part the weather was fabulous - but there were a coupke of really hot days - the day we were in Athens and the day we were in Kusadasi. The rest of the time it was perfect weather and no rain days!

I hope this helps.

Lynn

We did a Med cruise last summer leaving Barcelona on June 16th. It was hot, hot, hot...especially in Florence, Pompeii and Rome (the more inland cities) and very crowded. I will never do a cruise during the summer months again. I would go with Sept. if that is your only other choice. May or Oct. would be perfect. I'm sure you'll have a great time whenever you go but the latter part of Sept. would be great.

KathiB

Summer 2006 was far hotter then usual in Europe, it was above normal.

There will not be much difference in temperatures between June and September.

I have cruised in the Med beginning of June in 1996 (ok. quite some years ago), but we needed jackets the first few days in Turkye...

I also think nature is more beautiful in June because after a hot dry sommer most of the flowers have dried up and the grass is yellow.

Ine,

As one of the previous posters just said, summer 2006 was hotter than usual. The really hot places were Florence, Rome and Pompeii. These places are more inland so it was the heat, the crowds and all the concrete of the cities that added to the unpleasantness. Barcelona, Greece, and Venice weren't quite so bad but now that I think of it Dubrovnick, Croatia which is on the coast was also very hot. we walked the wall around the city in the morning and had to stop frquently in shady spots to escape the heat of the sun.

My guess is that June is not usually that hot. But if I ever do a Med cruise again I would really try for May or Oct. If you are really used to heat it may not be an issue for you at all. The heat won't keep you from enjoying your wonderful cruise.

KathiB

Archived