RCCL switcher

bmweezer

My wife and I are trying the Crown Princess this fall, which will be the first time we try Princess versus Royal Caribbean. We have nothing against Royal Caribbean, only we have wanted to try 'something new' for some time. Any thought on the differences between the two would be very helpful. For your benefit, we are both 36, and will be traveling without the kiddos on this cruise.

Thanks

B

Hey B,

Congrats on deciding to try something different. I have been on both lines numerous times: I am diamond on RCCL and platinum on Princess so I would be happy to answer any questions you have or give my opinion on specific comparisons. What would you like to know? (Oh, and I am pretty close to you in age so hopefully that will help as well.)

Here are a few differences that I can recall:

RCI does not have self-serve laundry, Princess does.

Princess has Anytime dining plus fixed seating dining, RCI has all fixed seating dining, except at specialty restaurants, which both lines have.

RCI has free anytime soft-serve ice cream, Princess has free scoop ice cream from 3:30 to 4:30.

Princess has fresh-water pools, RCI has salt-water pools.

Some Princess ships have Movies under the stars.

Some RCI ships have rock climbing, ice skating, and wave surfing attractions.

Some RCI ships have a long internal 4-story open space, called the promenade, with shops, bars, parades, etc. Inside cabins that face this promenade have bay windows to see what's going on. Princess has nothing like this.

Princess has a extra-pay, secluded rest/relaxation area for adults, don't think RCI has this.

Frankly, I think they're more alike than different.

Snedecor

I also think they're more alike than different. I find the service on RCI to be slightly better than on Princess. The staff & crew on Princess have always been correct, but not friendly. I prefer the friendliness of RCI's staff & crew, but you may prefer the more distant approach.

I think RCI's ships are prettier, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the dining room food is a little better on Princess but the buffet on RCI wins for me.

RCI has Quest, Love & Marriage & other audience games shows. Princess has Princess Idol, but I can't remember any other shows. We don't go to many on either line.

Princess allows you to bring wine & champagne on board, RCI does not. RCI house wine is swill (La Terre). Princess house wine is better (Sylvester). RCI's wine list is horrifyingly overpriced, Princess' less so. Both offer a good selection.

Princess has new (fabulous) bedding in suites & minisuites only; RCI has it throughout the fleet.

We usually have a minisuite on Princess. The RCI Junior Suites are superior, IMHO. An exception is on the Sun class of Princess, where the minis are very, very nice. But comparing a Grand Class to a Radiance Class ship, the Radiance class wins hands down IMHO. Princess balcony cabins don't have a sofa or loveseat, just a single chair. RCI provides at least a loveseat, sometimes a sofa.

Both lines have good entertainment. I think Princess has better lounge and Atrium musicians.

Princess has upgraded many of their other cabins also as far as bedding. We had a regular Balcony on the CB and the Mattress was the best we had ever had on a ship.

Do like the Fresh water pools and less Better priced wine and liquor on Princess. I agree that the staff is more friendly on RCL.

I like them both.

Dennis

Princess uses more soft colors in their decor (which I prefer). You will see a lot of light oranges and light greens verses RCCL is generally LOUD in their decor. Princess doesn't have the huge chandeliers or art hanging from their atrium. It is much more sub-dued and classier (IMO).

I prefer Princess's dining room food better but prefer the dining rooms in RCCL. Princess has really low ceilings in their dining rooms and it looks more closed and confined compared to RCCL.

I find the staff similiar - you will find good ones and bad ones on each line so it is difficult to compare individuals and make that generalization about the entire line.

Princess is upgrading their bedding in all cabins. Many ships have been completed.

I find drinks cheaper on Princess.

Princess's pools use fresh water.

A comment about Anytime dining. IMO - one compromises a little bit of service in Anytime dining. My service in Traditional dining has always been better compared to Anytime dining. If getting to know your waiter and service in the dining room is a priority - I would choose Traditional dining. If flexible times is a priority, try Anytime dining.

Chops is better than Sterlings Steakhouse. Though the Crown has a new seafood and steak house and I haven't tried that. Chops is much more formal compared to the Sterling Steakhouses I have been on. I also thought the food was better in Chops. Sterlings reminds me of a Texas steakhouse that cowboys go to (probably a bad comparison...). Verses Chops comes across as a high end steakhouse.

Coral, is there a schedule floating around with new bedding dates for all Princess ships? Sailing on the Tahitian in June, but only a balcony room. We got off the Jewel one week before the new bedding was installed. :(

Coral, is there a schedule floating around with new bedding dates for all Princess ships? Sailing on the Tahitian in June, but only a balcony room. We got off the Jewel one week before the new bedding was installed. :(

Not that I am aware of. I know on the Star I had a balcony (in December) and had the old bedding. The people who sailed in January said they had the new bedding. I brought my own blanket on the cruise. I am cold at night and hate the old style bed spreads.

I would probably ask someone on a roll call leaving soon if they could check for you.

Archived