Liquor Stores in Sydney

spindrift

If your looking for a beer that is not only good tasting but a great laugh, get yourself a "Piss Beer' or a "Piss weak beer". Like I said, not only does it taste good, you can keep the empty bottle as a souvenir.
Thanks for that. I'd never heard of it, and I see that it can be difficult to find. But I will look out for it - at least, I will next time I'm in Melbourne.

Thanks Mochuck. That is interesting and we will look into that location. Also, I find it interesting about "inbound" flights at the airport. I'll also check that site. What a fun "blog" on this subject. At lest I know someone else is thinking about the same thing.

Thanks for that. I'd never heard of it, and I see that it can be difficult to find. But I will look out for it - at least, I will next time I'm in Melbourne.

You can get it Sydney, it's just not as common.

Terry

You knw Fires, I've never heard of that Piss Beer.

I googled it as you suggested. It made me laugh that the light version is called Piss Weak. Thats such an Australian expression.

Canadiansnowbird,

None of this is intended as an insult to any brewery, country, or cruiser(!), but the Foster's we get in the USA is brewed in Canada. It says imported (true), but since beer tastes of its many ingredients, including water, and is also affected by time and travel (aren't we all), your DH's experience on that cruise may not be indicative of the "real" Foster's.

Happy Cruising

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone.

Sydney is my home. Cruise ships in Sydney stop at either Darling Harbour or Circular Quay (most international lines). Circular Quay is between Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Opera House. In other words, many tourists and higher prices. The Rocks, also directly beside the ship terminal has a number of pubs with bottle shops attached (and generally more reasonable, especially if you are prepared to walk 800m to the back of the Rocks).

There is also a Liquorland at 388 George St. Liquorland is found in most residential suburbs so it is reasonably priced. My guess is about 1000m from the ship directly up George St along flat ground. Its an easy walk.

Dan Murphy's is very cheap as others have mentioned, but they are not in the city area.

Someone asked about Australian beer. Australian brewers are allowed to use sugar and preservatives in beer, so they tend to be bitter (as we like them). VB is very popular and cheaper than most. Cascade is from Tasmania and is very popular as it is more natural (it is mid priced). If buying beer to take home, it is cheaper to buy warm beer. Refrigerated beer costs more. Why not drop into a pub and try one before buying?

PS. If you want to save money in Sydney, a great way to see the harbour and beaches is to catch the commuter ferry to Manly Beach. It is beautiful and will cost less than A$15 return. They depart every 30 minutes and the ride lasts about 30 minutes. Best thing is they leave from just beside the Circular Quay ship terminal. Leaving from a similar area is the Sydney Explorer bus. It is a governement owned bus painted red and takes you to many interesting sites for very little money.

The NSW Art gallery has free entry. It is a great place to see Aboriginal art (although a lot of Aboriginal art is sold in the rocks). Aboriginal art is so unique. One picture can be a portrait, landscape and mythological story as all are intertwined.

If you enter Sydney Harbour at sunrise I beg you to get up early for a view you will never forget!!!

Have a wonderful time in my city!!!

Karlm

Sydney, Australia.

If you enter Sydney Harbour at sunrise I beg you to get up early for a view you will never forget!!!
Slightly off-topic, but I heartily second this. In fact, make sure you are up and on deck well before the ship enters the harbour through the Heads. Seeing the outside face of the cliffs and then going in through the entrance is one of the great cruising experiences in the whole world.

Canadiansnowbird,

None of this is intended as an insult to any brewery, country, or cruiser(!), but the Foster's we get in the USA is brewed in Canada. It says imported (true), but since beer tastes of its many ingredients, including water, and is also affected by time and travel (aren't we all), your DH's experience on that cruise may not be indicative of the "real" Foster's.

Happy Cruising

Yes you are correct, on our recent cruise out of Sydney they served Fosters in the 26ounce cans. The Aussies pointed out that Fosters is not Australian but Canadian, brewed in Toronto! Seemed strange to see a beer that they advertise in Canada as an Aussie beer brewed in Canada served in a ship out of Sydney.

But Princess did have Victoria Bitter and XXX Aussie beer which is good, much better than the Canadian beers.

The liquor stores around Circular quay are not cheap so you should head out to the suburbs to get your liquor.

Yes you are correct, on our recent cruise out of Sydney they served Fosters in the 26ounce cans. The Aussies pointed out that Fosters is not Australian but Canadian, brewed in Toronto! Seemed strange to see a beer that they advertise in Canada as an Aussie beer brewed in Canada served in a ship out of Sydney.

But Princess did have Victoria Bitter and XXX Aussie beer which is good, much better than the Canadian beers.

The liquor stores around Circular quay are not cheap so you should head out to the suburbs to get your liquor.

Most major beers throughout the world are brewed under license in each country (i.e. under a strict formula). Heinekin for example is often brewed in different locations using a fixed recipe. 99% of Australians don't drink Fosters in Australia; it is an export beer brewed under license outside our country. Go for the local brew wherever you are. For me it is XXXX (I'm a Queenslander). Four X's please.

They are not so expensive that its worth travelling to the suburbs to save a few bucks. You can pick up a bottle of wine for less than $20.

Another question.....

Does anyone know if Mount Gay Rum is available in the Sydney Liquor stores. I'm very particular about my rum and I'm hoping that it can be bought locally. Have to start thinking about the drinks early you know!! :D

I think we have decided that DH will start checking out the bars in Sydney as soon as we arrive for the beer he will take with us on the Sapphire.

Snowbird

Mochuck:

The Duty Free that you indicated is for Adelaide. The Sydney Duty Free does not have Mount Gay on their list. :mad:

http://www.downtowndutyfree.com.au/default.taf?_UserReference=3868BB22F5CB0D71467800D9&ts=1182306017&pg=1

Either on the arrivals nor the departures. Hopefully the liquor stores will carry it.

Snowbird

Mochuck:

The Duty Free that you indicated is for Adelaide. The Sydney Duty Free does not have Mount Gay on their list. :mad:

http://www.downtowndutyfree.com.au/default.taf?_UserReference=3868BB22F5CB0D71467800D9&ts=1182306017&pg=1

Either on the arrivals nor the departures. Hopefully the liquor stores will carry it.

Snowbird

They are not so expensive that its worth travelling to the suburbs to save a few bucks. You can pick up a bottle of wine for less than $20.

I suppose its all relative but compared to North American prices, very expensive. I can buy Australian shiraz in the US for less than $10 a bottle yet its $18 in Sydney.

Sorry about that. I gave you a bum steer. I've never actualy heard of it myself.

If you really want to take it on the cruise you can bring it with you into Australia and just declare it. High risk of breakage, of course, but there's always bubble wrap.

Why not sample some local brew. This is pretty popular.

http://www.bundabergrum.com.au

Just wondering if anyone knew if there are limits to the amount of wine that one can bring in.

It sounds like prices at home (US or Canada) are much cheaper than purchasing locally.

In the past we have purchased the 1 litre tetra packs to take with us. The fit nicely into a heavy duty zip lock bag and I would double bag them to be safe. It won't break and if it's packed well it will unlikely be squished to the point of leaking. Plus it's much lighter than a bottle.

Not that we won't buy more but it always helps to have some on hand so you can pick and choose where and what you buy.

Just wondering if anyone knew if there are limits to the amount of wine that one can bring in.

It sounds like prices at home (US or Canada) are much cheaper than purchasing locally.

I doubt that very much. You can get very cheap wine in Sydney, just as you can get very cheap wine in the US or Canada. In all places, the cheap stuff just isn't very good. Many Aussies just wouldn't be seen dead drinking the cheap plonk.

The duty free limit for bringing your own into Australia is 2.25 litres per person. If you exceed that, you pay duty on the whole lot, not just the excess over 2.25 litres.

• 2 weeks later...
I doubt that very much. You can get very cheap wine in Sydney, just as you can get very cheap wine in the US or Canada. In all places, the cheap stuff just isn't very good. Many Aussies just wouldn't be seen dead drinking the cheap plonk.

I totally agree. It also depends on what you consider cheap. Personally, I wouldn't buy anything less than $10. I'm sure its possible to get a nice drop for that price but you really have to know your wine. Its also possible to get a really crap wine that costs a lot ... but I'm sure you get my drift. My days of drinking wine from a box (tetra pak) are long gone. Like the saying goes you get what you pay for.

Globaliser are you an Aussie? It says you live in UK but you seem very well versed in all things Australian.

Okay, because of issues w/the cruise lines, air, etc. etc. we are now at the 4 Seasons. Let's start this inquiry all over. Where are the liquor stores near the 4 Seasons?

Is the 4 Seasons in a good location to other things as well?

The Four Seasons is very well located right near Circular Quay (where the ships dock). Plenty of pubs in the area where you can buy liquor. Just don't buy drinks at the bar in the Four Seasons - its reallly expensive. Some friends and I popped in there for a drink one night after dinner, and a glass of wine was $16! That was about 3 years ago, needless to say I haven't been back.

Archived