FOUND $1.00 Over-the-door Organizer

lakeluvr

:D

Yes!

Shopping for bargains the other day, I found a $1.00 organizer at DOLLAR TREE, one of the many dollar stores we have!

It is actually touted as a bathroom organizer, with 12 clear slots (looks like a shoe organizer). It is actually "hanger-less" in that it is supposed to fit on the bath shower curtain hooks, but I believe we can solve that situation quite easily with a wire coat hanger or duct tape or ribbon, etc.... So, of course I bought 2 of them, one for us and one for our co-traveler couple.... wonder if I could have bought them all and sold them on board ?!? LOL :confused: :p :D

Lisa

No, actually the packaging itself states that it is designed to hook onto the shower curtain hooks. For $1.00, IT'S OKAY! ;)

Altho, I actually found some over-door thin metal hooks that came with something else that is going to work GREAT!

Thanks for writing tho! I've enjoyed your posts :D - it's been quite a while since we have cruised and I'm not even sure if our friends ever have...:confused:

The over the door shoe holder was a godsend to me. On our first cruise I got one since there was gonna be 5 of us in one cabin. It kept the cabin neat and tidy..the little bit of counter space we had on the Sensation was used for other stuff. We used it for the last two cruises when there was only 2 of us in a cabin but didnt really need it.. but it kept things orderly. I took one side and honey took the other side.

I took one - it didn't fit over the door. If it had I would not have had room to turn in the bathroom (they were so small it was hard to dress in there!).

I stuffed it into the closet and left it there.

Also found several other recommended items were never needed. I will travel a LOT lighter next time!!

Joyce

7/2004 Dawn Princess to Alaska

Already planning next cruise (Disney)

• 5 weeks later...

I found using ours saved time finding things - since it is clear you can see everything. They are great if you are always losing things. (I have to keep my car keys tied to my purse on a plastic lanyard, so I am definitely in that category.) I found I had to fold one of the rows under to get it to fit on the bathroom door, but even losing a row, we still had plenty of pockets to work with.

We left ours behind, but at $6, we thought we got our money's worth.

We found ours very useful. Much easier to see everything rather than rummaging through a cosmetic bag, or whatever you usually use. Neither of our cruises had sufficient bathroom storage space to leave stuff out -- and the organizer kept the clutter out of the way. We've decided to take it whenever we're on vacation -- land or sea -- if it's somewhere we'll be staying for longer than just overnight.

We found ours very useful. Much easier to see everything rather than rummaging through a cosmetic bag, or whatever you usually use. Neither of our cruises had sufficient bathroom storage space to leave stuff out -- and the organizer kept the clutter out of the way. We've decided to take it whenever we're on vacation -- land or sea -- if it's somewhere we'll be staying for longer than just overnight.

Can you give me ideas about what kinds of things you put in the holder? I am a first time cruiser and really have no idea what I would put in that. Hair brush? Tooth brush? That kind of stuff?

Maggie

We used ours as first time cruisers, too! We had a "cosmetic bag" that we put all our toiletries in for the plane ride. It includes stuff like toothpaste, toothbrushes, our own shampoo in case we don't like the ships', hairspray, deodorant, comb & brush, medicines, sun screen, bug spray, my husband's razor, perfume or cologne, first aid stuff, etc.

Normally, we have just worked out of the cosmetic bag in hotels, etc. On our first cruise (NCL Sea) there was no place in the bathroom to set the bag in the bathroom, except under the sink -- no real counter space. I had seen this suggestion on the boards, so we bought one in Houston. Once our luggage was delivered, I emptied the cosmetic bag into the organizer. It works great! My stuff on one side, hubby's on the other, stuff we both use (like toothpaste) towards the middle. It worked great as you could see into the clear plastic pockets and easily find what you were looking for.

If I used any makeup, I probably would have put that in one or two of the pockets also. The one we bought had about 24 pockets, so there was lots of space to organize stuff in. Lots easier than rummaging through the cosmetic bag, as whatever you want always seems to fall to the bottom!

Maggie, we started to use ours mostly for toiletries - shampoo, conditioner, soap, etc, but ended up using it for things we needed to take with us elsewhere on the ship - suntan lotion, the list of things going on that day, sunglasses, just about anything you might worry about losing.

Looking for things became a short process:

"Honey, do you know where the ______ is?"

"Take a look on the door, dear."

"Oh, here it is!!! Thanks!"

Archived