Summit Drydock & "pod Problems?"

sunspot49

Just returned from the LAX-Hawaii-LAX 14 day cruise on the Summit, and there were no problems with the propulsion system. All of our port calls were on time, the ship was in excellent condition and very well maintained. There are no indications that Summit will be dry docked at this time.

Petert

Hi,

Summit is drydocking in Southampton next April/May after a transatlantic. I notice she is then going on to do what is Millenniums normal summer season in the Med.

Ian :D

:) Good evening,

She's the last of the '' M '' class to get the auxilliary diesel power unit, as well as the '' refit // re-designed // re-built '' radial thrust bearings for the infamous pods, thus the drydock ( which of course will be also used for a lot of softgood/hard goods/preventive maintenance//hotel maintenance stuff....).

Speaking of pods....she's statistically ''due '' for the now usual ''premature wear of the radial thrust bearing(s) ''...I suppose she'll spend 4-5 days in Victoria or SanFransisco between May and September......

Cheers

;)

Ian,

Summit is drydocking in Southampton next April/May after a transatlantic. I notice she is then going on to do what is Millenniums normal summer season in the Med.

Wrong year. That's in 2008. For the summer of 2007, she is going back to Alaska.

Norm.

Ian, are you still taking that Panama Canal cruise next month? I haven't seen you post in months and months on the roll call you started. Did you cancel because of pod concerns?

Ian,

Wrong year. That's in 2008. For the summer of 2007, she is going back to Alaska.

Norm.

:) Hi, Norm

I think we're all referring to 2008, as regards her Southampton drydock before her summer season in the Med....which makes all of us ''right''.

My own comments re; spending a bit of time in Victoria or SanFransisco between May and September THIS year is ''tongue in cheek''....as she is statistically '' due '' for one or both radial thrust bearings to exhibit the now infamous and predictable '' premature wear''....( last time, Apr//May '06.....).

I'll bet you $$$ one of the hotel maintenance things they'll do next Spring during drydock is to, FINALLY, restore ''Bar at the edge of the Earth'' back to ''Revelation Lounge''....none too soon....wouldn't you think ...?

Cheers

;)

I'm going on Summit in 2 weeks, March 31st...so what historically has happened when there are pod problems, does the cruise end right there? And what about compensation for the rest of the cruise and flights back if they aren't booked through the cruiseline?

We had pod problems on the Mille in 2001 when the ship was fairly new causing us to arrive about 4 hours late into Alexandria, Egypt. But we stayed later in the port to make up for it so it wasn't too much of a problem. We felt somewhat of a vibration after that throughout the rest of the cruise. Been on Summit twice (and will be again this May to Alaska) with no problems so far....knock on wood.

c-legs,

I'll bet you $$$ one of the hotel maintenance things they'll do next Spring during drydock is to, FINALLY, restore ''Bar at the edge of the Earth'' back to ''Revelation Lounge''....none too soon....wouldn't you think ...?

I would say, "Long overdue!"

Then again, I recently described it to a representative in Celebrity's home office as looking like a great "toilet papering" job -- the kind that college students do to one anothers' dorm rooms.

Norm.

good morring all

Millennium,Constellation will go into Dry dock this year for about 2.5 weeks to have the Upgrade of propulsion system and auxilliary diesel. In End of may Infinity goes into drydock to get the Pods Fix. This takes about one Week to fix.

In 2008 Summit goes to Euope to replace Millennium for that seasn. While she in Euope she goes into Drydock for 2.5 weeks to get the propulsion system fix and and in the auxilliary diesel.

Right now looking at the Ship Calendar the infinity is not planed to go to Europe to have the Upgrade Aucillary Disel put in.

Thanks

Chris

good morring all

Millennium,Constellation will go into Dry dock this year for about 2.5 weeks to have the Upgrade of propulsion system and auxilliary diesel. In End of may Infinity goes into drydock to get the Pods Fix. This takes about one Week to fix.

In 2008 Summit goes to Euope to replace Millennium for that seasn. While she in Euope she goes into Drydock for 2.5 weeks to get the propulsion system fix and and in the auxilliary diesel.

Right now looking at the Ship Calendar the infinity is not planed to go to Europe to have the Upgrade Aucillary Disel put in.

Thanks

Chris

:) Good evening, Chris

I suspect those auxilliary systems can be installed in NorthAmerica. GTS Infinity will get hers as well within the next 12 months or so....and RCCL is also re-cycling the entire Radiance class for the same installation, and half that class never crosses the big pond. I suspect the biggest hurdle is to set up the logistics and procurements to have one yard , i-e- Freeport or SanDiego, for exemple, prepped up to conduct those installations.

Cheers

;)

Archived