Knockoffs - do you or don't you?

Sunshine91

I have a couple of bags that are "questionable" that were purchased in China. My husband paid a fair bit for them, but he can't be certain if they were "real" or not. The finishing is superior, and he was told that they were seconds from a Coach factory.

I believe that artists should be paid for their work, but here's where I get into arguments with people. Several of the women I work with are very vocal about not purchasing knock off handbags or jewellery, however they download music for free almost every day. To me, they're both theft of an artist's product, yet they don't see it that way. They figure that music is in "the public domain", thus it doesn't matter if they take it for free online.

Ladies, any thoughts on the relationship between the two?

The customs people will allow you to bring in one knock off of each type without stopping you. That is ONE handbag(not one coach, one prada, one Louis Vutton only one of each type)....While I agree that you shouldn't knowing buy a fake, the profit margins on the trademarked brands are insane and not reasonable either. Making a knock off of a design is a time honored thing in the West(dresses etc- the designer designers and the mass market people tweak and sell look a likes all the time)...its only when people started wearing the stuff inside out(with the name showing) that it became an issue. Any one for a Guci handbag(and I know the correct spelling)...

Ebay has some real and not so real for sale at bargain prices...

Macys' on sale with a discount is sometimes the best prices around....

PS describing Macys as the local department store is pretty funny since with Sears and JC Penny's its the only nationwide mid level department store left....Thank you FDS...for full disclosure I get the employees discount there.

I may be considered a hick, but I wouldn't know a knockoff from the real deal. Bags are not something I pay a lot of attention to. If it looks decent, holds my stuff for me, is easily accessible and doesn't cost me a fortune then I'll buy it. Can't remember the last time I bought a bag, but the next one I purchase will likely be like all the others... won't know if it's a knockoff or not, but will choose it mainly for it's functionality.

Dee

won't know if it's a knockoff or not, but will choose it mainly for it's functionality.

Dee

If you buy it on the street or in a "grey goods" story and if it's cheap, you're buying illegal knock-offs and supporting drug traffickers and child labor violations.

If you go into a store and buy a cheap purse you like with no designer name on it, you're buying legitimate goods.

Whether you can spot of knock-off on someone else isn't the point. Some people, like you, simply don't care - which is fine. The point is, don't support illegal trade.

While I agree that you shouldn't knowing buy a fake, the profit margins on the trademarked brands are insane and not reasonable either.

If people think the profit margins are too high then they shouldn't buy something. My husband just bought new eyeglasses - nothing special, just Lenscrafters, "house brand". Price came to $600.00. I had no idea (I don't wear glasses) but a friend in the eyeglass business told me that frames cost less than $10. a pair to make. So, don't "beat up" the handbag company's for their profit margins. Eye glass companies make MUCH higher profit margins on items that people have no choice about buying! Our health insurance doesn't cover one nickle of it and DH didn't buy a "designer" brand! He had to buy glasses, no choice there. I don't have to buy a pricey handbag. There are plenty around by small companies at small prices that are very pretty and are not illegal copies.

One of my favorite wines costs me $19. in my fancy "overpriced" wine shop. In my local bistro, the same bottle costs me $56. + tip. I haven't stopped drinking it in the restaurant because I think they're overcharging. It's my choice.

This may be a little OT but I'm wondering what everyone thinks of the club that you join then rent a designer bag. Isn't it sort of like the knock offs in the sense that someone wants to be seen with a "name" but can't afford it?

Am I missing something here? If I am, would someone set me straight?

This may be a little OT but I'm wondering what everyone thinks of the club that you join then rent a designer bag. Isn't it sort of like the knock offs in the sense that someone wants to be seen with a "name" but can't afford it?

Am I missing something here? If I am, would someone set me straight?

It's not the same at all. A company buys and owns a legitimate designer bag and rents it out by the month. Nothing illegal, nothing fraudulent.

I honestly don't see where you see the relationship to the manufacturing of illegal, copied inferior goods by sweatshop labor by companies who often fund drugs or terrorist groups with their profits

As far as whether you feel a person is "cheating" because they're using something they can't afford.....that's really a personal fashion issue and not a legal or moral one. Sort of like buying something in a thrift shop. Some people think it's great others are uncomfortable with it - but it's certainly not illegal and doesn't harm anyone.

But do check the monthly price of those "clubs". They're not cheap. It's not my cup of tea personally, but I think they're prefect for the woman who wants this years "it" bag and will only tire of it in a year anyway.

I buy expensive bags, but not trendy ones, so I use my bags for years, but I sell the few I get tired of.

If people think the profit margins are too high then they shouldn't buy something. My husband just bought new eyeglasses - nothing special, just Lenscrafters, "house brand". Price came to $600.00. I had no idea (I don't wear glasses) but a friend in the eyeglass business told me that frames cost less than $10. a pair to make. So, don't "beat up" the handbag company's for their profit margins. Eye glass companies make MUCH higher profit margins on items that people have no choice about buying! Our health insurance doesn't cover one nickle of it and DH didn't buy a "designer" brand! He had to buy glasses, no choice there. I don't have to buy a pricey handbag. There are plenty around by small companies at small prices that are very pretty and are not illegal copies.

One of my favorite wines costs me $19. in my fancy "overpriced" wine shop. In my local bistro, the same bottle costs me $56. + tip. I haven't stopped drinking it in the restaurant because I think they're overcharging. It's my choice.[/quote

Hi Jane Happy Holidays....Lenscrafter is notoriously overpriced. If you have an AAA card I think they give you 30% off....and yes I know about eye frames. I used to work with one of the importers(Riveria Trading Company). That is why if you have eyeglass coverage they can do what they do, They pay a dispensing fee to the participating eyeglass location and make the glasses up at their own labs. It saves a fortune. $600 glasses retail wholesale for 25 including lenses and frames. But an educated consumer tries not to get screwed.

AAA members save 30 percent on eye exams, complete eyeglasses, sunglasses, and accessories. Also save on eye exams from independent doctors of optometry (located next to LensCrafters, Sears and Pearle Vision). Members also receive an additional $5 discount on all general public offers that exceed the everyday AAA discount.

Sid

Jane

I wasn't comparing it to the whole issue of illegal bags and all the behind the scenes ugly stuff, i.e. child labor, I was comparing it to just the fact of "having" a designer bag. I guess it's just me, but if I don't actually own it, I don't see the point, I don't care to "rent" one. With the cost of renting, I'd rather put my money into owning a few rather than several on loan. In the end, to each his own, was just wondering how others felt about renting.:)

I've checked out the handbag "club", and for some people it's a great option.

One of the young women I work with is an absolute slave to fashion. She "must" have the newest/latest/greatest bag, and could probably have a downpayment for a house in two years if she just quit buying handbags! Anyway, I showed her that site and she's now borrowing at a fraction of the cost, rather than investing a lot in a bag that she will leave on the shelf in 6 months.

Jane

I wasn't comparing it to the whole issue of illegal bags and all the behind the scenes ugly stuff, i.e. child labor, I was comparing it to just the fact of "having" a designer bag. I guess it's just me, but if I don't actually own it, I don't see the point, I don't care to "rent" one. With the cost of renting, I'd rather put my money into owning a few rather than several on loan. In the end, to each his own, was just wondering how others felt about renting.:)

Then I misunderstood you. When you asked if it's sort of like a knock-off, I thought you meant all aspects.

But as I said in my post, I do agree with you that I personally would rather own a purse than rent one.

Along the same lines, there are some incredible evening wear companies here in NYC where you can rent designer gowns for a black tie event. They have "lesser priced" gowns from designers like Carmen Marc Valvo's couture line, which retail from $2000 and up, to pricier designers like Oscar de la Renta, Valentino or Carolina Herrera whose gowns can cost from $6000 - $15,000. And of course, they rent designer bridal gowns as well. People who dress at this level only want to be seen in a dress once but they want to be seen! When you rent your gown, they also do custom tailoring so it fits perfectly.

I've never done it, it's not my style, but I think that if I was invited to a black tie event where most of the women were going to be in $10,000. gowns, it might be tempting. Hey, look at the ladies at the Academy Awards and the Oscars. They don't pay for those gowns, handbags and jewelry. Those things are being lent to them for free, and they too have to give the items back at the end of the evening. They don't own them and with the millions of dollars they make, they can more than afford to buy them! So is it different in your mind if it's lent rather than rented? Does having it lent to you make you less of a wannabee than if you rent? Are Oprah, Julia, Cameron, Reese, Sharon, Madonna and Beyonce all wannabee's because they wear free stuff that's lent to them rather than buy something for themselves? :)

Or to put it into another perspective, let's look at cars. Many people prefer to lease instead of buy, though they'll still consider it "their" car, even though at the end of three years they have to give the car back, re-lease it, or have the option to buy it. The handbag rental is the same other than you can opt to lease for as short a period as you want - one month...one year, up to you. And if you decide you want to buy it, you can do that too.

The rental of ballroom competition gowns is now becoming popular and a great option for some. Prior to becoming ill I myself began to consider developing such a business.

I did not know of designer gown rentals and am quite interested in learning more about this. If you have any more information or know of on-line sites, I would love to hear about it.

The place in NYC was called One Night Only. I don't know if they're still in business or not. They were right in the garment center, very close to where all the designers have their showrooms.

I went there about 5 years ago with a girlfriend who was renting a Carolina Herrera gown for a black tie event. They had gorgeous things things to choose from and she was very happy with the tailoring and the other aspects of their service.

Makes a lot of sense for a dance competition where you probably don't want to repeat a gown.

Not everyone can say with certainty they are buying a "real" anything these days. After years of buying the DH expesive watches he managed to break, lose or once drive over (??). I found a Swiss Army watch with a tough nyon band in the Munich, Germany Army Post Exchange. On sale! He loved it and it lasted for almost 7 years before the battery needed replacing. He took it to a jewelry store here in the States for a new battery and that's when he found out I had bought a fake. So it seems even the US Government buys counterfeits on occasion. The way to tell was once the battery cover is popped once it will never fit back in. This wouldn't have been an expensive watch if it was real so why a knock off? He's (keeping fingers crossed) so far had a Citizens two years and it still runs.

Not everyone can say with certainty they are buying a "real" anything these days.

Not true. If you go to a Gucci, Chanel, Vuitton, Prada (etc) store there's NO DOUBT you've got the real thing!

After years of buying the DH expesive watches he managed to break, lose or once drive over (??). I found a Swiss Army watch with a tough nyon band in the Munich, Germany Army Post Exchange. On sale! He loved it and it lasted for almost 7 years before the battery needed replacing. He took it to a jewelry store here in the States for a new battery and that's when he found out I had bought a fake. So it seems even the US Government buys counterfeits on occasion.

Well, if it's the same dept that buys $2000. toilet seats, it's not surprising. :D

Sorry folks but everything you buy are knockoffs!!!! Wether is a designer or a nondesigner fashion they are all knockoffs. Where do you think they got their ideals in the first place??? From somebody else so they are copying anothers design but putting maybe a little different bobble on them or instead of using cow leather they use goat leather or water buffalo leather. Also the clothes that we wear are knockoffs again someone elses designs with a little bit of someone elses touches.

Knockoffs heck yeah!! Are they made by third world children probably but so are they disignes brands!! Where do you think they have them made in a shop down the street from their office. Think again!! Been in retail too long I know the secrets!!!!:(

At a local craft fair this weekend was a vendor selling handbags. She had what I assumed were Coach knock-offs - how could they possibly be the real thing? They weren't leather but rather the fabric type with the promient C all over the place. Rather sad looking bags actually, sitting on the table in their plastic bags. I didn't stop to look closely or to inquire about prices (or legitimacy).

I have a Coach bag that I saved for & purchased at the store in St. Maarten last year. I adore it.

Now I'm not normally struck by labels or designers, but I do appreciate quality. And I will admit to liking certain "name" lines, but when I buy them, I want the real thing. How do I make sure I'm getting it? And for the best price?

What about the rest of you? Do you buy the real deal? Will you buy knockoffs, knowing they aren't the real thing, or do you think you're getting a fantastic price, something "too good to be true?"

I don't care so much for brand names but the quality. I know when everyone else was ooing and ahing over their Coach bags I was still happy with my Aigner bags that were much less. Now though it seems I can no longer find Aigner bags in leather, I guess instead of raising their prices, they stopped making them in leather. So now I buy the Stone Mountain bags. They are a decent quality and in my price range. Ofcourse I know Coach bags are better but Stone Mountain are a good quality that fits my price range.

Funny you brought up the fake Coach bags and your buying the real thing in St. marten. I stumbled into a shop in St. Marten that had "Coach" bags for $50 in fake leather. I said something to the salesclerk who insisted they were legit. Anyone who would believe that would have to be stupid. Now I am not saying yours was-I am sure you would know the differance by quality and price.

Not true. If you go to a Gucci, Chanel, Vuitton, Prada (etc) store there's NO DOUBT you've got the real thing!

[/uNQUOTE]

I lived in Rome for a couple years and Gucci on the Via Condotti often had scarfs made in 3 places on the counter. The ones from Korea and Italy were real. The ones from France were fakes. Yes, they all had 'made in' labels. Many leather goods are made in sweat shops in Naples even today and sold in the name stores in Rome. It's getting better due to the fines and crack downs by the Guardia Di Fianzia [tax police] but it still happens.

Well, if it's the same dept that buys $2000. toilet seats, it's not surprising. :D

LOL Yea, well, what can I say? There's only a few toilets needed for F-16Fs so no quantity discounts. Now the $600 hammer......... Use a high heel!

I used to own several Coach handbags and I still own kind of a lot of Dooney bags, one was a backpack that I bought in the early 90s. I sold all of my Coach bags on ebay, and a couple of my dooney bags there also.

I really think that knockoffs are dumb. You want people to think that you have the real thing when you really don't? I don't see the point of that, and as a side note I think that the signature status thing is really old. JMHO, when I see the heavily logoed bags it looks passe to me. :p

I am very happy with all of the bags that I get on ebags. They are somewhat discounted and they have a good variety there. I like Necessary Objects, Liz Claiborne, and Stone Mountain. Nothing is over 100$, and many are around 50, which I still think is a lot for a bag these days. :eek:

More early morning ramblings :)

Yep I sure do buy knock offs. I have more important things to spend my money on but still want the look of the designer bag. Thank you China Town!

Yes, and the drug runners/gangs, illegal merchants, tax evaders, guns/arms dealers all thank you very much for your generous contribution to their businesses. And those who legitimately design, manufacture and distibute a nice, and inexpensive handbag but can barely keep afloat, don't.

My favorite handbag only cost $5.00!!! Its not a name brand at all. But I had several people come up to me ask if it was!! Now isn't that crazy!!!!

Not crazy at all! Kudos to you!

A friend of mine in Dallas owns a small accessory company. She designs and manufactures handbags right in Dallas that are fashionable and terrific looking and none sell for more than $50. retail. She employs 24 people in Dallas who make her things right on premises. If more people like you who wanted inexpensive good looking handbags said "No to Knock-offs", she'd have more americans working for decent wages in her company!

Archived