Knockoffs - do you or don't you?

Sunshine91

I think that if you're going to buy a decent designer bag and use it long-term so you get your money out of it, that's great. But it's when people buy them and don't use them, it's like why bother. That money could fund so many other fantastic things! I have a friend who has about eight Coach bags and they are sitting on her shelf, collecting dust.

!

I have probably 15 or 16 designer bags. However, I've been collecting them since I was about 22 when I bought my first Gucci bag. I'm 42 now and can tell you I take very good care of them. When not in use they are stuffed with tissue paper and are all in dust bags.

It may just be your friend has been collecting Coach bags for a long time.

I think that if you're going to buy a decent designer bag and use it long-term so you get your money out of it, that's great. But it's when people buy them and don't use them, it's like why bother. That money could fund so many other fantastic things! I have a friend who has about eight Coach bags and they are sitting on her shelf, collecting dust.

I get bored with them.

I have a D & B backpack from 1992 (or so) that cost me 365$. I swore that it was an investment piece and that I would always love it and I don't need a new one because it will last forever.

I use it every once in awhile, but I have bought a LOT of bags since, and it certainly isn't worth much $ anymore.

This is the biggest reason that I stopped buying designer bags. I really don't care about it anymore. I keep it because I paid so much for it, not because I love it still

No Jane that is not quite what I meant. What I meant is that opinions on smoking seem to be so strong and even presented with evidence of the dangers of smoking, opinions dont change.

I found a parrellel with the knock offs... Given plenty of information as to why one should not purchase knock-offs, some will strongly still feel that there is nothing wrong with it and the conversations seem to be futile.... Wanasail's post was a perfect example of this. I was not even considering the legal issue, but the moral issues and the two opposing opinions.

I completely understand what you are saying here. Although I do think this thread is a lot more civilised than a smoker/non smoker thread ;)

Hopefully someday there will be a documentary made to show the damage counterfeit goods cause. If only one person here stops buying these goods because of this thread, it is worthwhile.

It may just be your friend has been collecting Coach bags for a long time.

No, she's 18. Her parents just keep loading her bank account so she spends it on a whole bunch of designer stuff, uses it once and then never touches it again. I once asked her why she has them on a shelf and she said "I didn't have anywhere else to put them, and I don't use them anymore."

You take care of the bags you aren't using at a particular time, and that is great. And as you said, it's a collection, whereas people like my friend just buy them for the sake of it. lol maybe I'm just jealous because I can't get that Coach clutch I am drooling over? Maybe when my Feb cruise is over I can save and buy it...

Anyway, I digress, my point was that if you're going to spend a lot on a designer purse or purses, take good care of them. Your purses in dust covers are going to be worth SO much more than my friends' will be when the specific styles are retired.

No, she's 18. Her parents just keep loading her bank account so she spends it on a whole bunch of designer stuff, uses it once and then never touches it again. I once asked her why she has them on a shelf and she said "I didn't have anywhere else to put them, and I don't use them anymore."

Gotcha! On the flip side, when you do save for a bag, you tend to appreciate it a lot more!

No Jane that is not quite what I meant. What I meant is that opinions on smoking seem to be so strong and even presented with evidence of the dangers of smoking, opinions dont change.

Ahh, ok. Got it now.

maybe I'm just jealous because I can't get that Coach clutch I am drooling over? Maybe when my Feb cruise is over I can save and buy it...

We were on the Crown right before Christmas. Beautiful ship! I don't know your itineray but if you are sailing from San Juan, there is a Coach boutique that's approx. 15-20 minute (walk) from the cruise ship terminal. The prices are so great!! Food for thought..you may just be able to get yourself that Coach clutch you so want! :D

Have an amazing time!!

We were on the Crown right before Christmas. Beautiful ship! I don't know your itineray but if you are sailing from San Juan, there is a Coach boutique that's approx. 15-20 minute (walk) from the cruise ship terminal. The prices are so great!! Food for thought..you may just be able to get yourself that Coach clutch you so want! :D

Have an amazing time!!

Wow! Thanks so much for this info! I am indeed sailing from San Juan.

I did a Google search on this place and people have said they got bags for less than half the original cost. Yay for factory outlets! Again, thanks for the info, and I will definitely check this place out!

Wow! Thanks so much for this info! I am indeed sailing from San Juan.

I did a Google search on this place and people have said they got bags for less than half the original cost. Yay for factory outlets! Again, thanks for the info, and I will definitely check this place out!

That's perfect then!! Makesure you go..its so worth it!!! I went a little purse crazy there:D Bought 3 because the prices were just so right. Our flight landed at 12:05 and we were on the ship by 1:30pm. Dropped our carry on luggage off at the cabin, ate some lunch and headed back out to find this boutique!

Nope-

No knock offs for me-just doesn't feel comfortable. I have a very good client that surprised the heck out of me this year at Christmas-and gave me a real LV bag....I almost fell over.....I would NEVER spend that kind of money on a purse -EVER.....but decided to keep it (actually exchanged it for a style I liked better)

I could have gotten the $$$ I guess-but then it's spent and it's gone...

Keeping the bag reminds me that I AM appreciated by some of my clients!!!!:D

Nope-

No knock offs for me-just doesn't feel comfortable.

and they're illegal!

I have a very good client that surprised the heck out of me this year at Christmas-and gave me a real LV bag....I almost fell over.....I would NEVER spend that kind of money on a purse -EVER.....but decided to keep it (actually exchanged it for a style I liked better)

I could have gotten the $$$ I guess-but then it's spent and it's gone...

Keeping the bag reminds me that I AM appreciated by some of my clients!!!!:D

How lovely! (can i have that client? :D )

You'll never regret keeping it and you'll love it.

Enjoy it in good health and prosperity!

I only carry the real thing...have been a Coach fan for about 12 years and have found the craftmanship to be superior and the styles to be fun and versatile. I usually limit myself to 2 bags a year in order to be able to have what I want and spend a larger amount of money.

The thing about owning a real Coach is that once you smell the leather, touch the fabric, look at the stitching detail closely you can never be fooled or ever desire a knockoff again.

You can also find Coach at a discount at their outlet stores and at places like Nordstrom Rack occasionally. I also deal with one EBay seller who ONLY sells the real thing. Her ebay name is Maerim and everything I have got from her is 100% authentic.

A:D

With the exception of buying bags on Ebay, I totally agree with your comment. Many people who purchase knock-offs do it for the price. Many fail to realize that for just a few dollars more, they can own the REAL thing, particularly with Coach Factory Outlets being plentiful. I have also found a few bargains (1/2 price) at Dillards Dept. Store.

Not only does Coach sell a superior product that I am partial to, but they stand behind their product. I am very hard on my bags and have yet to damage a Coach bag. Once a bag is registered with them (registraton & care card comes with every bag when purchased), if the zipper fails or anything else is unsatisfactory, they happily replace or repair the item. Can't get that with a knock-off!

Besides, Coach is very reasonable compared to the Hermes Birkin and Fendi bags (check out the Crocodile Fendi B bag). Imagine how many cruises you can take on one of these bags!:D

Archived