Knockoffs - do you or don't you?

Sunshine91

Yes, and the drug runners/gangs, illegal merchants, tax evaders, guns/arms dealers all thank you very much for your generous contribution to their businesses. And those who legitimately design, manufacture and distibute a nice, and inexpensive handbag but can barely keep afloat, don't.

I'm glad of the education I'm getting on this thread..I don't have any knockoffs. I own one genuine Coach bag purchased from the Navy Exchange..I had no idea and could have seen myself buying a knockoff.

I really don't know too much about the Navy Exchange stores, so can't comment on their merchandise.

Well, i had to taake it into the Coach store at Providence Place Mall for a repair...They fixed it so i can't believe it would be a fake ..The Navy exchanges sell a lot of designer stuff .

Honestly, i've never really though about buying a knock off before and i've never seen them sold..It's just not an issue i've thought about.

how can people have purse parties if knockoffs are illegal i went to a party and the the lady selling claimed that they were damaged bags even thou you couldn't tell but she kept calling them knockoffs i can't figure that out any who i didn't buy one if i paid that much money then i want the real deal i'll be cruising this month and do not plan on purchasing any purses to nervous ill get a knock off have any of you who want a name brand bag ever check the good will's my mother and sister in-law have found coach bags they were the real thing they stiil smelled like leather and looked great the good wills still charge higher prices for these over other purses i have also gotten really nice purses from t.j.maxx :)

how can people have purse parties if knockoffs are illegal i went to a party and the the lady selling claimed that they were damaged bags even thou you couldn't tell but she kept calling them knockoffs i can't figure that out any who i didn't buy one if i paid that much money then i want the real deal i'll be cruising this month and do not plan on purchasing any purses to nervous ill get a knock off have any of you who want a name brand bag ever check the good will's my mother and sister in-law have found coach bags they were the real thing they stiil smelled like leather and looked great the good wills still charge higher prices for these over other purses i have also gotten really nice purses from t.j.maxx :)

Those bag parties are illegal.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2005/11/04/cache_of_knockoff_bags_triggers_federal_case/

http://www.poststar.com/articles/2007/12/18/news/latest/doc47683768f0b5e644261806.txt

Google and you'll find many purse parties that got busted.

"Even more frightening is evidence developed by the FBI's Joint Terrorism Task Force that (showed) the sale of the counterfeit goods financed the 1993 World Trade Center bombing. The U.S. Customs Service continues to warn that counterfeit designer bags may finance terror."

http://www.wlwt.com/news/2207934/detail.html

I've been telling people this for a couple of years now, but it's amazing how people chose not to believe this info. I can spot a fake purse a mile away. They really make the person carrying on look bad in my opinion. I look at women dressed down with their fake Prada bags and want to laugh at them. It's become quite pathetic. Since they're so commonplace now, they are really putting the designer bags out of fashion. I really don't want to carry a bag with a label that people can see.

Well, i had to taake it into the Coach store at Providence Place Mall for a repair...They fixed it so i can't believe it would be a fake ..The Navy exchanges sell a lot of designer stuff .

Honestly, i've never really though about buying a knock off before and i've never seen them sold..It's just not an issue i've thought about.

I would assume that a Navy exchange buys only legitimate merchandise. I used to work for a company that sold a lot of goods to them and they were a pleasure to work with.

My comment didn't reflect a negative view of their buying, just saying that I have extremely limited experience and knowledge about them.

I've been telling people this for a couple of years now, but it's amazing how people chose not to believe this info.

Well, you can only keep trying and hope to get through to a few.

I can spot a fake purse a mile away. They really make the person carrying on look bad in my opinion. I look at women dressed down with their fake Prada bags and want to laugh at them.

I agree with you. But I was staying away from the "fashion angle" of the knock-off discussion, because fashion is so highly subjective. But, I have to agree that a women carrying a fake, looks laughable. In my opinion it shows her as a "wannabe but can't afford to be". I own some designer bags, but I also own a few inexpensive bags from small companies. They're adorable and not trying to look like something they're not.

they are really putting the designer bags out of fashion. I really don't want to carry a bag with a label that people can see.

I think you're confusing the issue here by assuming that all designer bags have their label/logo displayed prominently on the front. That's simply not the case. While the "it" bag of the day may become less of a fashion trend, women will always buy expensive, high quality designer merchandise. One bag I'd love to have one day is a Valextra. They cost over $3000. for a handbag and their logo is only on the inside. Almost no one knows their bags, but I've been drooling over them for years. And the Hermes Birkin bag starts at over $5000. for the plain box leather (more for exotic skins) and the logo is quite small. (happy to say they're not my style!)

I find it funny that some of you this is it oh so awful to tote about a 'fake' purse but you're perfectly okay with wearing a dead crocodile/lizard/other poor breed-to-be-fashion animal on your arm. IMO that doesn't make you any better of a person than someone buying a knockoff.

I find it funny that some of you this is it oh so awful to tote about a 'fake' purse but you're perfectly okay with wearing a dead crocodile/lizard/other poor breed-to-be-fashion animal on your arm. IMO that doesn't make you any better of a person than someone buying a knockoff.

I find it funny that you assume that those of us who don't support buying illegal goods, think it's perfectly fine to wear crocodile/lizard. I don't follow your logic in how you're making that leap of assumption.

I find it funny that you assume that those of us who don't support buying illegal goods, think it's perfectly fine to wear crocodile/lizard. I don't follow your logic in how you're making that leap of assumption.

I'm not sure where croc & lizard came from either, but there was some talk of different types of leathers in a post awhile back, and how designers may take a "steal" a look and make it in a different type of leather (and how that is acceptable as long as it's not a true "fake").

And of course many people have stated how they prefer Aigner, Stone Mountain or real Coach bags, and in leather. Perhaps lolastarx meant most people don't seem to have any qualms about wearing animal skins, and she felt it was morally wrong.

Although it's an entirely different moral issue...:)

Not all designer bags are made from leather. I don't think the issue here is that it is a "fake" product, but that it is not authentic and illegal.

I'm not sure where croc & lizard came from either, but there was some talk of different types of leathers in a post awhile back, and how designers may take a "steal" a look and make it in a different type of leather (and how that is acceptable as long as it's not a true "fake").

And of course many people have stated how they prefer Aigner, Stone Mountain or real Coach bags, and in leather. Perhaps lolastarx meant most people don't seem to have any qualms about wearing animal skins, and she felt it was morally wrong.

I have no clue what she meant, and personally I wouldn't second guess. What I do know is that it didn't make sense.

Although it's an entirely different moral issue...:)

Not quite. One is based solely on feelings, the other on legality. ;)

I am very glad that this thread was started. I for one had no idea that fakes of any kind, whether it be purses or scarves or whatever, was a major contributer to terrorist funding. The younger crowd that I work with are all into going to the islands to get "the bags". When I told them about this info, I was very suprised that many did not believe me & the rest thought that their one buy would not make a big difference to anyone. It does make a difference & how & why isn't our governments making it better known. This is really disturbing & it should be brought to the attention of the general public.

I. When I told them about this info, I was very suprised that many did not believe me & the rest thought that their one buy would not make a big difference to anyone. quote]

THIS is a big part of the problem, they can't or won't see beyond themselves and realize that there are millions of others making one purchase.

Although I find this thread quite interesting sometimes it reminds me of the million smoking/non smoking threads.... A subject where each group has thier own very strong opinions with neither budging.

.....except that smoking is legal. It's only illegal in certain places. Or is that what you meant? That people feel smoking should be banned in some places where it's allowed and vice/versa?

Buying knock-offs is never legal.

Big difference.

I am very glad that this thread was started. I for one had no idea that fakes of any kind, whether it be purses or scarves or whatever, was a major contributer to terrorist funding. The younger crowd that I work with are all into going to the islands to get "the bags". When I told them about this info, I was very suprised that many did not believe me & the rest thought that their one buy would not make a big difference to anyone. It does make a difference & how & why isn't our governments making it better known. This is really disturbing & it should be brought to the attention of the general public.

I hope one of these girls goes to Europe and buys an illegal designer copy on the street. The undercover police troll for tourists who do that and then they're fined between $2000 - $5000. dollars.

BTW, this happened in Italy to a friend of mine. She'd never buy that crap, but her dumb teenager daughter thought she was being cute buying fake Chanel sunglasses on the street. The police swarmed, hauled her off to a jail, with my girlfriend in tow pleading with them to let her go. At the jail, they called a rep from the cruise ship they were on. He came down. End of story, she had to pay a $3000. fine or not get back on the ship.

But please, don't tell your coworkers this story. Let them tell you.... after their expensive European vacation! LOL!

I personally don't buy knockoffs, but then again I don't buy designer either. Knockoffs always fall apart, are obviously fake-looking very illegal, not to mention this whole child labour / terrorism issue.

But the 'real thing' is always far far too ridiculously expensive for me to even ever consider spending on a purse. Some of the prices are insane! But then again, I am a struggling student ;) I have a small clutch that fits everything I need inside of it and it suits me fine as a purse. Plus it was on sale for $5.

I think that if you're going to buy a decent designer bag and use it long-term so you get your money out of it, that's great. But it's when people buy them and don't use them, it's like why bother. That money could fund so many other fantastic things! I have a friend who has about eight Coach bags and they are sitting on her shelf, collecting dust.

I understand about the crocodile / lizard skin bags too, even though I don't know how that fits in with knockoffs. I mean, who would want to carry around a lizard? Sorry to anyone who may have an exotic skin bag, but I personally think they're ugly.

But I digress. No to knockoffs, but no to real designer bags also. But if I could afford it? I would probably splurge on the real deal, but I would use the heck out of it!

I hope one of these girls goes to Europe and buys an illegal designer copy on the street. The undercover police troll for tourists who do that and then they're fined between $2000 - $5000. dollars.

BTW, this happened in Italy to a friend of mine. She'd never buy that crap, but her dumb teenager daughter thought she was being cute buying fake Chanel sunglasses on the street. The police swarmed, hauled her off to a jail, with my girlfriend in tow pleading with them to let her go. At the jail, they called a rep from the cruise ship they were on. He came down. End of story, she had to pay a $3000. fine or not get back on the ship.

But please, don't tell your coworkers this story. Let them tell you.... after their expensive European vacation! LOL!

Are they not going after the ones who are selling the "garbargh":rolleyes: on the streets as well?

Are they not going after the ones who are selling the "garbargh":rolleyes: on the streets as well?

Nope! They're usually immigrants and have no money - or bank accounts - that can be traced or collected. Police do confiscate the goods, however.

It's much easier to punish people with money.

Here in NYC, I've seen undercover cops quickly swoop in on street vendors and buyers. Here, they don't arrest the buyers, like in europe, but they do confiscate all the goods from both seller and buyer. I saw one tourist complaining to a cop that she wanted her money back after he took her illegal handbag from her. He shook his head in disbelief and said, "Lady, you're lucky I'm not bringing you down to the station! Get lost!".

No Jane that is not quite what I meant. What I meant is that opinions on smoking seem to be so strong and even presented with evidence of the dangers of smoking, opinions dont change.

I found a parrellel with the knock offs... Given plenty of information as to why one should not purchase knock-offs, some will strongly still feel that there is nothing wrong with it and the conversations seem to be futile.... Wanasail's post was a perfect example of this. I was not even considering the legal issue, but the moral issues and the two opposing opinions.

Archived