Ketchikan dropped and Campbell River added ~ would you consider changing lines?

Texas Duck

Lady:

For what it is worth to anyone, our Regent stop in Ketchican was a rather miserable and rainy experience. As I understand it, Campbell River is not as prone to poor weather, and it is a more "unspoiled" area where there is more to do than go to the shops by the port. Some have said that all there is to do at Campbell River is Salmon fishing and visiting Salmon farms. I don't know if this is true or not. But even if it is true, these are two more things than there are to do in Ketchican!

Thanks, Richard

Richard,

There is a place called Painter`s Lodge where you can go and take a water taxi (no cost) over to Quadra Island to April Point. We often do this in the summer and have a lovely lunch over there. There is other things to do there, hike boating etc. Here`s the website http://www.painterslodge.com/ Just walking around inside the Lodge and looking at the photos etc on display is interesting. It has a bit of an interesting history, John Wayne use to stay there along with a few other celebrities.

I did read in our local newspaper of some of the tours you can take off the ship and as with every cruise company they are pricey. I am not sure if there are any off the ship trips to take as this is so new and I have not heard much yet.

Lady:

Keep the information coming, as the last Alaska cruise we took on Regent was in '02, and we surely want to go again. We thought Ketchican was the "weakest port" -- not only because it was raining, but with all the "mega ships" in port the crowds would have been too much if it were not raining!

I like the fact that all of the folks from Campbell River, or near it, who have posted are very eager to have cruise visitors, and want to inform us of all that there is to do and see there.

Regent is very good at planning port excursions which have good content for the price. I hope this holds true for your port as well.

Thanks,

Richard

We`ve taken a whale watching tour a few years back here which we loved. We also had a couple from England last fall take one as well and though it was somewhat foggy at times they were also very happy with it.

By the way we have a new Maritime Museum as well as our regular Museaum both within walking distance from each other. They are right beside the pier where people fish off of. When we were checking it out last year (they list all the fish caught, the weights etc.) and there were a few pretty nice sized fish.

We were on Mariner two years ago when there was a stop on Prince Rupert rather than Ketchikan. I can say I was not disappointed. On the soutbound segment, the last thing I wanted was more jewelry stores and t-shirt places overrun with with thousands of cruisers from RCI, HA, etc. We were the only ship in port. Regent, as they tend to do, had some special tours arranged for us. As I'm a rail fan, it was a real treat that they had contracted with a local railroad group to put together a special tourist train for us, and us only. We took a nice trip through what is billed as some of BC's best scenery and stopped at the restored cannery museum where a local club actually had an operating model train layout. For me, this stop was heaven. If I want to buy more t-shirts, I'll sail Princess.

Archived