Denied at Boarding???

mousetravel

What would be a reason to be denied at boarding? I've read a few things about being denied boarding for not having Birth certificate, proper ID, and cruise documents. Is there any instances where this has happened? I just want to be totally prepared for "anything"

I have a friend who was not allowed on an airplane to Jamaica because he did not have proof of citizenship with him. His wife did not speak to him for a looooooong time.

I assume the same has happened with cruises.

Paul

A few years ago we were checking in for a cruise out of Miami. And elderly couple was checking in beside of us. They had spent the night in a motel nearby and someone had broken into their car during the night taking their passports and other stuff. The cruise line would not let them board. The women was in tears and the man was very upset but they were told that there was nothing the cruise line could do. We boarded the ship but wondered whatever happened to them.

Tanker4

If you're showing signs of illness at boarding they may deny you boarding. I think I read where a family was denied boarding because their teenaged daughter threw up in the terminal. The family said she was overexcited but the line (I think it was Carnival but am not sure) took no chances that it might be Norovirus.

I'm not sure it's automatic, but they will ask you more questions. Sadly, most people know this and will fill out "no", which is probably a big factor in Norovirus outbreaks on the ships.

I'd like to think that I wouldn't cruise if I had those symptoms, but I don't know if I'm really that noble.:o

A few years ago we were checking in for a cruise out of Miami. And elderly couple was checking in beside of us. They had spent the night in a motel nearby and someone had broken into their car during the night taking their passports and other stuff. The cruise line would not let them board. The women was in tears and the man was very upset but they were told that there was nothing the cruise line could do. We boarded the ship but wondered whatever happened to them.

Tanker4

OMG! I'm going to sleep with my passport in my undies. No one would want to steal it from there.

Great,

I woke up with a cold this morning. Typical runny nose and sneezing, cough once in a while. I leave Friday from Tampa. They won't try to quaranteen me will they?

I guess I'm off to CVS for some cold medicine before I end up in 'Cruise Jail'

Dave:eek:

Great,

I woke up with a cold this morning. Typical runny nose and sneezing, cough once in a while. I leave Friday from Tampa. They won't try to quaranteen me will they?

....it is the diarrhea that will get you quarantined....;)

Great,

I do believe the cruiselines are looking for more in the lines of nurovirus sypmtoms. If they notice it, it is possible they will quarantine you to your cabin. I have been sick on cruises after they have started and have never had a problem. Just make sure you are not puking at embarkation and you should be just fine.

Joe

I have seen someone not allowed to board. A nice looking middleage couple was leaving just as I approached the checkin desk. He was furious, and she was in tears. They had everything they needed - except that she had forgotten to bring the certified birth certificates. So sad.

Great,

You may want to consider purchasing some Airborne. (www.airbornehealth.com) This is a high dose vitamin C type OTC product. CVS should have this product in the cold section.

If you just have a regular cold, boarding will probably not be denied. Now if you present yourself being pale, cool and clammy, running a high fever and the the medical officers notice this, they is a possibility (a possibility) that further questioning may be involved and could lead to being denied boarding the ship.

If you have your passport do you need to bring your birth certificate?

A Passport not only shows where you were born but also your citizen ship. Therefore, you can leave your birth certificate at home but do bring a second form of ID such as a DL.

Wow! I never knew they did this!:eek: I've never been asked about my health on any cruise I've ever been on. Sailed out of Houston on NCL Dream last year. No one asked us any questions about our health. Not that its something I'd worry about as I've never sailed when I was sick before!:D

I have seen them deny boarding if the pictures are fuzzy on documents, i.e. drivers license. The cruise line indicated they could not clearly identify the picture (of course this was before the need of a passport). A passport should have a clear picture or it should not have been issued.

Where people with outstanding arrest warrants (for TRAFFIC tickets) were actually asking if they'd be safe to board. The consensus opinion was no, that Homeland Security takes a look at the manifest both before embarkation and returning into the country. And the majority thought s/he'd be busted one way or the other. A few had reported seeing officers actually hauling people away for such reasons. :confused:

Archived