where to stay in Tampa

wildberry

we are booked May 4 2008 on carnival Legend. we are driving. Now need to book a place to stay the day before and the day after. need help on where to stay? also does anyone know about parking?

Hello Wildberry, we will be traveling to Tampa a day early for our Legend cruise in May. 2 of the better hotels in the Tampa area from what I have found in searching through reviews, rating, class, etc. are the Grand Hyatt and the Quorum Tampa Hotels. Of course there are your Marriott's, Embassy Suites, Crowne Plaza's, Sheraton's, etc.

However I have found that the Quorum might have the best bang for the buck and is rated as the #3 hotel in Tampa. Hmmmm... However they offer a sleep & sail package that includes the following:

Sleep and Sail Package - One night accommodation in traditional guestroom. Hotel pick up arrival at Tampa International airport. 15 nights complimentary hotel garage parking, one-way transportation to the Port of Tampa. Weeknights, enjoy a special Managers Reception featuring complimentary drinks, specially priced Appetizers and complimentary chair massage to all our guests.

Since you guys will be staying there a night after the cruise they will provide transportation back from the Port to the hotel at not extra cost.

The rate is not too bad at all and considering it includes all of the above mentioned it's worth it and it's in a good location by being in the business district.

Whereas the Grand Hyatt is a very nice hotel from what I hear, it ranks as the #12 hotel in Tampa. But it's on 35 acre's of land away from downtown, the business district etc.

I surely hope this helps....

Jay

There are 2 Hyatt's here in Tampa if you are looking to stay at one while here. The one you are referring to is the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay & is located by airport on the causeway. It has 2 top rated restaurants, Armani's & Oystercatchers and really isn't out of town at all. I know they say that & if you didn't know it sounds like you are out in the country someplace, but there sn't anything too far away from anything here, esp. near the airport, downtown, port, etc. Now if you want to be downtown, there is the Hyatt Regency & that is in the heart of downtown Tampa.

Good luck & hope you enjoy your trip here to Tampa & your cruise!

I love the Chase suites.....they have a cruise package where they pick you up at the airport....drive you to the port.....and pick you up after the cruise and take you to the airport. For us we had a late flight so they took us back to the Chase to kill 5 hours by letting us change and use the pool.

They are suites with kitchen and living room w/king bed and sofa sleeper(sleeps 4)...the 2 bed has another bath and king loft overlooking the living room(sleeps 6). We paid $129 for the 2bed/2 bath loft. There is a Bahama Breeze next door so you can just walk over for lunch/dinner.

There are other nice places in the harbor area if you need to be surrounded by more activity/restaurants....but for me this was a deal and a nice way to just relax.....it was about 15 minutes from the airport and we boarded our Chase shuttle at 10 am and were on board the Miracle at 11:15........

A GREAT WAY to start a cruise.....

Chitown Cruisers and the Marvelous Miracle Misfits would like to thank and highly recommend

Chase Suites Hotel Tampa 3075 N. Rocky Point Drive Tampa, Fl 33607 (813)281-5677

our chase photos.... http://travel.webshots.com/photo/253...89406063IgCXuB

the rate also included parking if you know anyone driving in.

For our date in Dec., the Doubletree Westshore had the lowest rate AND includes airport shuttle/port transportation/shuttle back to airport after the cruise for $100 AAA rate (for up to 4 people). I booked the dream deal for $20 more; supposed to include an upgraded room & decent breakfast. They also offer free parking for cruisers.

The Hilton referred me to the Doubletree (sister hotel). Recently rennovated, appears acceptable. Apparently, not many properties offer the above-ref. transportation - gratis. While it's not a resort by any stretch of the imagination or bayfront; property is supposedly very close to a mall w/restaurants, etc. and offers a free shuttle for touring within 5 miles.

Called the Chase (which has nice reviews); the rate is $169. Was told by mgr. that you must book the cruise pkg @ that rate or you cannot utilze the port shuttle; although you may use the complementary airport shuttle. FYI, AAA rate @ the hotel is $120. They also offer a mgr's reception on weekdays.

There is an extensive thread on the Gulf port thread as to recommendations.

Archived