Renewing a passport

My DH sent in his renewal the first of February. They cashed the check on March 6th. He showed up in the system March 15th and they show an estimated date of delivery of April 15th. We don't need it until May so we didn't expedite delivery.

Does anyone know if it's taking as long to renew as it is to get a new one?

I sent ours off 2 weeks ago yesterday, and the agent at the post office said to expect a 10 week wait. Renewals can be mailed from home, and don't need to go through an agent.

Yes!! They are taking equally as long.. 10-12 weeks I was told (if you can get through on the phone!) I expidited mine, it took exactly 4 weeks. If you do expidite it.. WRITE EXPIDITE on the envelope, otherwise they throw it in the pile with the others!!

Thanks for all your help. We leave in 12 weeks from today and my 2 nearly grown kids couldn't be bothered to get them renewed last Summer (even though I begged!!). DD comes home from school for Spring Break late Friday and they are going to the office on Monday (11 weeks and 1 day before we leave :eek: ). I REALLY hate to pay to expidite when they fiddle farted around!!! I have another couple (with passports) willing to go with DH and me. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all your help. We leave in 12 weeks from today and my 2 nearly grown kids couldn't be bothered to get them renewed last Summer (even though I begged!!). DD comes home from school for Spring Break late Friday and they are going to the office on Monday (11 weeks and 1 day before we leave :eek: ). I REALLY hate to pay to expidite when they fiddle farted around!!! I have another couple (with passports) willing to go with DH and me. :rolleyes:

I would def. get them expedited right from the start

My passport is still good for a couple of years, so if there´s any need for replacing the kids with another one;)

My passport is still good for a couple of years, so if there´s any need for replacing the kids with another one;)

Actually, we'll be on your side of the pond (Ireland). Micki offered to go too but neither one of you is 'first in line'. :D

I was at the post office last week and was talking to the representative behind the counter. He told me that when a 'children' passport expires you have to start the whole process over again.

It is not a simple renewal as with the adult passport

Also, I think there is some rule about traveling within 6 months of expiration date. We are doing Greek Isles in November & then doing a New Year's Cruise. My passport expires in May 2008 so in order to be safe I am going to renew mine probably around July sometime. I am worried if I wait until we return from Europe on Nov. 12th I wont get it back in time for our cruise that leaves December 30th.

Wendy

Archived