Is Celebrity dropping Mexico?

dedlaw

I just looked at cruises to Mexico -- there is one in March '07 and one in April '07, both on Mercury. Nothing else at all on X's schedule. Does anyone know if further cruises to Mexico will be scheduled?

Thanks, I ask because I have a Celebrity Rewards credit card and I've amassed plenty of miles for my wife and I to have a free cruise -- but it's limited to Caribbean or Mexico, and coming from California it becomes a lot more expensive and time-consuming to get to a "free" Caribbean cruise.

Thanks, I ask because I have a Celebrity Rewards credit card and I've amassed plenty of miles for my wife and I to have a free cruise -- but it's limited to Caribbean or Mexico, and coming from California it becomes a lot more expensive and time-consuming to get to a "free" Caribbean cruise.

Hi dedlaw -- I posted the same questions quite awhile ago...and for the same reason. I have the Celebrity Rewards Visa card...and got it with the intentions of booking the 10 night MexRiv cruise. However, I've got at least a year until I have enough points...and it looks like, by then, there will be no more MexRiv. With X's Caribbean season being shortened so much, it's really going to limit our choices.

We were also hoping to do the Mexican itinerary in the spring of 2008, but I think X has committed its fleet to more profitable routes such as Australia.

Anyway, for those of you wanting to apply rewards card benefits, can you use them on Royal Caribbean? I think they still sail the Mexican itineraries.

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

I just looked at cruises to Mexico -- there is one in March '07 and one in April '07, both on Mercury. Nothing else at all on X's schedule. Does anyone know if further cruises to Mexico will be scheduled?

I had the same concerns, and contacted Celebrity about it. They told me that they haven't canceled the Mexican Riviera cruises and that they would be posted within the next few weeks.

We have also accumulated enough points for a free sailing and are looking into the free cruise for next year. It would be nice if you could use the points towards a cruise on Royal Caribbean especially since Celebrity has moved away from the summer sailings.

Ok enough rambling...Has anyone actually used the credit for a free cruise yet? We have become very spoiled with a balcony. The credit states that the coupon is to be used for ocean view. Can this be upgraded at the time the cruise is booked to a balcony by paying the difference in cost.

We are a family of four, so I am also interested in using two of the the free companion fare credits which might be a benefit for our family. Unfortunately it also states ocean view.

It would be great to hear if anyone has actualy used one of these credits to find out the process.

Nancy

Nancy:

It takes 125,000 points for a free cruise for two, oceanview. It takes 50,000 points to upgrade. Max value of the free cruise is $1,250 per passenger ($2,500 total) and max value of the upgrade is $1,000. In each case, you are allowed (read: required) to pay the excess if the cruise or upgrade price exceeds the max allowance. HOWEVER, the rules online seem to indicate that these may not be combined -- so, even if I have 175,000 points, I'm not allowed to get a balcony cabin with a value of up to $3,500 total. If and when there is a cruise I want to take, I plan to call and see if I'm reading that correctly.

That is funny that you thought about the free upgrade...I didn't even think about that one. We have just under 175000 points right now...I might have to give them a call:p . I did see that you have to use the credit within 6 months of getting it though and I am not looking for anything until next summer...I guess you might have to let me know.

Nancy

Hi Everyone - Well The Mercury Will Definitely Not Be Doing The Mexican Rivera Over The Next 2 Years . In 2008 Once The Alaska Season Is Finished , After A Few Short 3 & 4 Day Cruises In The Northwest, It Will Be Immediately Leaving For Hawaii And Then New Zealand / Austrailia.

We Have Seen This Trend In Europe , Where The Ships Are Leaving Earlier In The Spring And Coming Back Much Later In The Fall. Ditto , With The Mercury , Where It's Leaving As Soon As Possible In The Fall And Then Coming Back As Late As Possible In The Spring Of 2009 .

This Means That The Only Rcl / Celebrity Ship Doing The Mexican Rivera Will Be The Vision .

Hi Everyone - Well The Mercury Will Definitely Not Be Doing The Mexican Rivera Over The Next 2 Years . In 2008 Once The Alaska Season Is Finished , After A Few Short 3 & 4 Day Cruises In The Northwest, It Will Be Immediately Leaving For Hawaii And Then New Zealand / Austrailia.

We Have Seen This Trend In Europe , Where The Ships Are Leaving Earlier In The Spring And Coming Back Much Later In The Fall. Ditto , With The Mercury , Where It's Leaving As Soon As Possible In The Fall And Then Coming Back As Late As Possible In The Spring Of 2009 .

This Means That The Only Rcl / Celebrity Ship Doing The Mexican Rivera Will Be The Vision .

Mercury is heading to Aust./NZ in Dec. 07 for their summer season, and returning in March '08, back to Ensenada.

So far we're not sure where Mercury will be after that....maybe a few Mexico cruises, and then up to Alaska?

Karyn

Hey "karynanne" - Just A Quick Note , There Will Be No Mercury In The Mexican Rivera Over The Next 2 Years. This Goes From Spring Of

2007 Until April 2009 . The Ship Is Only Doing The Following.

- Alaska - Pacific Northwest - Hawaii - Nz /austrailia

+ Perhaps The Odd Panama Canal.

The Mexican Rivera Is Out Of The Picture For This Ship For

The Immediate Future. Sad - But - True .

Archived