Anyone recently got caught smuggling?

debster818

When boarding the ship, they state in contract and brochures to lock all checked luggage. So do they(cruseline) scan all checked luggage and break the locks if alcohol is found?

We had no problems with this on NCL in 01/2007.

We cruised NCL last year, and although we had no problem I had been following on the NCL message board. X-Raying of random luggage seems be a popular topic of discussion. Whether they X-Ray 1%, 50% or 99% of checked bags, I have no idea.

Carnival did find a leathermen type pocket knife in our checked luggage three years ago and confiscated it for the duration of the cruise. (It was in a backpack my son used for scouts.)

I was thinking of putting our cat in our luggage in the hope that he gets X-Rayed and will mutate into something useful, but that's for another message thread . . .

I have been on 8 cruise and have never heard of that or seen people having to go down and open luggage. Do they X-ray the luggage?

I knew if I left it that way someone say something. Let me try again:

Previously in the rare cases where they cared they would put it aside and have you come down and open it.

The was a story awhile ago about a guy who was called down because his suitcase was full to burstin' with nothing but liquor. Since he drove to the port, he elected to carry it off and stow it in his car. He came across a porter who asked him what he was doing. After he told the porter what was going on, the porter said for $10 he'd make sure it got on the ship.

The guy never saw his suitcase, booze or the $10 again.

I have been on 8 cruise and have never heard of that or seen people having to go down and open luggage. Do they X-ray the luggage?

On our first cruise the bag with the dive knife made it to our cabin, but when we brought it back onboard from the first port they said we had to leave it with security and check it out at the ports when we wanted to use it.

On the second cruise they held the bag and Jim had to go to the purser's desk. They kept the knife at security and we had to check it out in the ports.

The was a story awhile ago about a guy who was called down because his suitcase was full to burstin' with nothing but liquor. Since he drove to the port, he elected to carry it off and stow it in his car. He came across a porter who asked him what he was doing. After he told the porter what was going on, the porter said for $10 he'd make sure it got on the ship.

lol...that's funny

We always buy travel size bottles, they are plastic(a fifth), and pack them in check luggage.
Henepup,

I don't see a way to PM, so this will be way off topic, but does N. KY mean near Cincinnati? And is that a cocker spaniel in your picture? We have a blonde cocker that looks just like the dog in your picture and we are in Cincinnati. Small world.

And back on topic, do you fly with them down to FL? You can put them in your checked luggage? I was thinking it would be better to put it into a different bottle, but then I was worried about flying with it. Are you allowed to have alcohol in your checked luggage when you fly? Seems like a safety issue since it's so flammable.

We always buy travel size bottles, they are plastic(a fifth), and pack them in check luggage.

No need to clean out a mouth wash bottle for my Malibu? I can just buy the travel size at the liquior store? What about the x-rays? Will they beable to pick up on the fact that its a liquior bottle (plastic or not)?

:D :D I remember that story...:D :D

Question - is this real or one of those urban/ship/port legends??

DH and I were on the Valor in Oct 2006 out of Miami and brought a bottle of rum and a bottle of vodka in our checked luggage, orig bottles in large zip locked bags, middle of the bag. No problem.

We also scuba dive and have an extremly large bag for all of our gear. At our last port with 1 sea day left we had been shopping after diving and had bought 3 bottles of tequila and put them in the bag, forgot about them, and found them when we went back to the room to air out our gear! I am not suggesting that people smuggle in from the ports, but apparently it can be done. :p

Henepup,

I don't see a way to PM, so this will be way off topic, but does N. KY mean near Cincinnati? And is that a cocker spaniel in your picture? We have a blonde cocker that looks just like the dog in your picture and we are in Cincinnati. Small world.

And back on topic, do you fly with them down to FL? You can put them in your checked luggage? I was thinking it would be better to put it into a different bottle, but then I was worried about flying with it. Are you allowed to have alcohol in your checked luggage when you fly? Seems like a safety issue since it's so flammable.

Yes, about 15 minutes south of Cincy. And yes, thats one of my cocker, we have 3 boys.:) Small world

We have always left it in the bottle and checked it in our luggage.

i was on the legend in feb and had no problems i had 2 bottles of grey goose and apple martini mix in my checked luggage it arrived safe and sound in my room befor sail away .Do you realey think they x-ray all bags there are so many and so little time and it goes on the ship in those big metal bins .. as far booze being taken from passengers look at the time of year this happend spring break and they just had some guy jump through the window of his cabin so im shure a lot of this stems from that .Remember canival has all your info befor you baord and they know who is booked as a college group it's not hard for them to figure out what suit cases belong to them and they knew there would be booze in them And i shure some people just got mixed in with there's and got cought as well .. as far as the water and soda ban i could only speculate that sales might be down or they dont want to recycle all those plastic water bottles and soda cans that they made no profit on and have to pay a crew member to bag em up and cart it off the ship ... just my thought on this topic . i didnt drink both bottle's i brought one home and still spent about 400.00 on drink of the day they made there money on me

Archived