Passport vs Birth Certificate

8mpg

Ok, so Im confused. Im worried my passport wont be here on time and I called my travel agent. She said Alaska is one of those places you HAVE TO have a passport. I would guess its because it stops in Victoria. Is there a way we just dont get off the boat or something in Victoria? I can get another copy of my birth certificate locally for $25 but the passports are taking forever.

When will you be in Alaska and when did you apply for the passport. Right now they are extremely busy with getting them out because alot of people are applying for them now.

Marilyn

When will you be in Alaska and when did you apply for the passport. Right now they are extremely busy with getting them out because alot of people are applying for them now.

Marilyn

We applied late Feb and sail May12. I realized it would be a tight fit but the lady at the passport acceptance place was certain i would have it within the 8 weeks...then I read on the US passport site they are running 10+ weeks. We had 11 or 12 weeks between when we applied and sailed.

You need a passport if you are flying into Canada this year. If you arrive by land or sea, a birth certificate will still suffice.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Thats what I said but she said there was an exception with Alaska because of something. Dont remember exactly what she said

don't know about this year, but last year no one in victoria even looked at our paperwork. we had our DL with us when we got off, they did glance at the DL and our ship's card, that was it. you have to show ID going through the gates to get back on the ship, but they were just making sure you belonged to that ship.

even getting off the ship, back in seattle, no one cared. you do need the BC or the passport when checking in, that was it.

if you did the train ride in skagway, other then the round-trip, i don't know what they are doing this year. in the past you had to show either BC or passport. the round-trip you don't need either, you aren't allowed off the train.

have you checked on line to see the statis of your passport? check on-line, if it isn't showing up yet, go get your BC.

You have the ability to check online your Passport application status. Right now, it's at least 10 weeks for the regular service. Where are you FLYING into?? If a US Citizen and flying into Vancouver- you absolutely will need the passport. Otherwise a birth certificate and photo id are all you need if flying into Seattle. Alaska is part of the US, not sure what your agent is referring to, but there are no special entry requirements. http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

You have the ability to check online your Passport application status. Right now, it's at least 10 weeks for the regular service. Where are you FLYING into?? If a US Citizen and flying into Vancouver- you absolutely will need the passport. Otherwise a birth certificate and photo id are all you need if flying into Seattle. Alaska is part of the US, not sure what your agent is referring to, but there are no special entry requirements. http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

We are going out of Seattle on the Golden Princess

We are going out of Seattle on the Golden Princess

If you are flying in/out of Seattle, from the US, you do not need a passport.

You can use a raised seal birth certificate and an official photo ID.

Thats what I was thinking... the TA is nuts or something.

BTW, I went to out local passport acceptance facility to try and shell out the $120 extra to expidite 2 passports and guess what.... They were closed for Caesar Chavez's birthday :rolleyes: Thats ridiculous

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/status/status_2567.html

go on line and see if it shows a date of delivery

been doing that everyday for 2 weeks. Im would love to not pay $120 for expidited passports. Birth certificates are going to cost $50 for 2 and we just paid for 2 when we got our passports because the passport agency doesnt accept the small wallet sized ones. Same card, same raised seal, but wrong size. Wasted $25 on those, then $50 on new "BIG" ones and might waste another $50 on another set of "BIG" ones so we can go. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!~~~!!!!!!@

Sorry to vent, but its frustrating. Our passports so far have cost $260 to get and not I dont think we will have them in time so we either spend $50 on new birth certificates OR $120 to get our passports on time like they were supposed to be :mad::mad:

What if I am flying out of Vancouver?

I just applied for my passport renewal (expedite) last week.

I will be saling from Los Angeles to Alaska in May. At cruise end in Vancouver, I will have to catch a flight to Los Angeles. Do you think BC is suffcient enough?

Hopefully I can get my passport before cruse date so I don't have to worry about it.

What if I am flying out of Vancouver?

I just applied for my passport renewal (expedite) last week.

I will be saling from Los Angeles to Alaska in May. At cruise end in Vancouver, I will have to catch a flight to Los Angeles. Do you think BC is suffcient enough?

Hopefully I can get my passport before cruse date so I don't have to worry about it.

You have to have a passport if you are flying out of Canada.

The only negative in our Alaska cruise planning so far has been the delays associated with getting my parents-in-law’s passports. We applied at the end of December and had ours by the middle of February. They applied January 11th and still don't have them. MIL received notification two weeks ago that her application had been rejected which caused a lot of anxiety for her(and us). It turns out that the certified copy of her birth certificate used for years did not show the original state filing date. She contacted our state bureau of vital statistics and expedited another one with the filing date on it. She has sent her new certified birth certificate in the return envelope provided by the U.S. passport processing group. According to them, this delay adds three more weeks to the processing time. We’re sailing June 4th so she hasn’t pushed the panic button, yet. Hopefully, they’ll have their passports soon so she can stop worrying about it.

We have had a hard time getting my parents official birth certificate because they were born in NY and NJ and we all live in CA. I have been confused as well, but I think the BC and DL will work. I went to to apply for the passport and they said there was no way I would get it in time, even if I expidited. So if we have to stay on the ship in Prince Ruport then so be it! We will be newlyweds anyway!!;)

We have had a hard time getting my parents official birth certificate because they were born in NY and NJ and we all live in CA. I have been confused as well, but I think the BC and DL will work. I went to to apply for the passport and they said there was no way I would get it in time, even if I expidited. So if we have to stay on the ship in Prince Ruport then so be it! We will be newlyweds anyway!!;)

In Prince Rupert, you are entering Canada by ship and won't need a passport, just a birth certificate. However, if you are flying into or out of Canada, you will be required to have a passport. I am assuming that the ship is leaving out of Seattle?

You may need a passport if you are taking the White Pass and Yukon RR trip in Skagway. I was told when I made our reservations with Chilkoot Charters for their RR and bus trip that we needed to make sure to bring our passports with us when we took our trip with them as we will be going into Canada on that trip. I would check that out if you take that train trip. We booked our cruise last May and we were told then that we would need a passport so we did that right away. After hearing some of your stories I am so glad we did that.

Archived