Does a USA citizen need both a Visa and Passport to visit Italy...?

In most cases yes.

Passports are issued by YOUR country and allow your country to keep track of you and let you back in, visas are issued by OTHER countries and say that you are allowed to visit and are not an illegal alien.

Think of visas as tourist green cards.

Does a USA citizen need both a Visa and Passport to visit Italy... or any other European country for that matter...?

Passport for sure,

Visa varies from European country to country, there are many countries in Europe.

the Captain and the Mrs travel under both a US and an EU (European Union) passport, depending which areas of the world the Captain and the Mrs travel to, prudence AND practicalities/formalities dictates we use the appropriate passport.

Happy cruising everyone :)

So... you think I would be good to go for a 4 week vacation...?

Using the parameters for nationality and residence as being the USA and for a stay up to 90 days this was the return information I got:

1. You do not need a visa to enter Italy.
  2. You may enter Italy with a valid passport.
  3. Once you have entered Italy the border authorities may ask to see documentation justifying the reasons for and duration of your stay

So, it seems, you would be good to go for a 4 week vacation.

Out of curiosity, are you going to travel the whole country?

How does one apply for a Visa...?

Some told me that US citizens are are automatically granted Visa's because of USA Consolates in these countries.

It's all very confusing...

1) I would not rely on whoever gave you that information :(

2) It is not confusing at all, just contact the Embassy in Washington DC of the country you plan to visit, some countries also have Consular Offices in the major US cities. GOOGLE does a great job locating those Embassies/Consular Offices for you. ;)

3) If you are planning on visiting the UK, Italy and Germany, no Visa neded for a vacation. :)

4) I do not know what you mean for other countries you labeled "and the like" - no such country AND you MAY NEED a Visa. :rolleyes:

Hope the above info helps.

VentureMan,

Despite my undying faith in the advice of my fellow CC posters, I think the best way to make sure you're getting up-to-date and accurate information is to get it straight from the horse's mouth at the US Department of State (www.state.gov)

Some European countries DO require visas but right now I think it's just former Soviet states.

Look at this page: http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/brochures/brochures_1229.html

And then go read the Consular information sheets for each country you plan on visiting:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1765.html

Thank you all. Someone else is planning the trip, but I wanted to be sure on this point.:)

Venture...

All those countries have governmental web sites just like our state department does, you can find details on what is required there

Italy for example:

http://www.enit.it/default.asp?Lang=UK

Here is a link to the state dept web that lists countries and entry requirements alphabetically:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/brochures/brochures_1229.html#i

1) I would not rely on whoever gave you that information :(

2) It is not confusing at all, just contact the Embassy in Washington DC of the country you plan to visit, some countries also have Consular Offices in the major US cities. GOOGLE does a great job locating those Embassies/Consular Offices for you. ;)

3) If you are planning on visiting the UK, Italy and Germany, no Visa neded for a vacation. :)

4) I do not know what you mean for other countries you labeled "and the like" - no such country AND you MAY NEED a Visa. :rolleyes:

Hope the above info helps.

Well said. Something to add though, it is always a good idea to contact the embassy of a country you plan to visit for more than a day or two. They often have some very good information they can send you and sometimes will pass on special deals and discounts, much like US states do with tourist booths at major state entry points.

As of a couple of years ago a trip to Japan can save you about $1800 by doing this.

Archived